NFL Div 1 - Season 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Huge is what the next week of football is for a few teams next week.

I know someone will do the maths on both games but Eltham will have to win well to take 5th and Lower Plenty will probably have to win by a similar amount to stay up.

Hopefully this will also create some more football discussion on this page.
The reality is, the winner will come from the top 3 surely. They are considerably better and its pretty clear. Although we can have some moderate intersest in games that influence the bottom or 5th, 6th etc, the only real contest is where Mont and Bulls will play and what the outcome is. This is significantly important to the top three. IMO

Also, regardless of what happens, Elthams fade wasdisappointing this year, Boro promised a lot and never really got going, Roosters are strange and Kangas seem to be stagnant. The same teams are ultimately better. Its easy to claim the season is more even but the outcomes are pretty expected. IMO, the league is slipping significantly against its othe metro neighbours. I hate to highlight that but its painfully obvious when you compare every aspect.

The reality is, the winner will come from the top 3 surely. They are considerably better and its pretty clear. Although we can have some moderate intersest in games that influence the bottom or 5th, 6th etc, the only real contest is where Mont and Bulls will play and what the outcome is. This is significantly important to the top three. IMO

Also, regardless of what happens, Elthams fade wasdisappointing this year, Boro promised a lot and never really got going, Roosters are strange and Kangas seem to be stagnant. The same teams are ultimately better. Its easy to claim the season is more even but the outcomes are pretty expected. IMO, the league is slipping significantly against its othe metro neighbours. I hate to highlight that but its painfully obvious when you compare every aspect.

The season has also been it's most even yet. Teams outside the top 5 have still been able to hold their own on occassions and there really hasn't been many blowouts. In respect to Macleod, the tough run at the start of the year against last years top 5 proved to be a scheduling nightmare and confidence sapping experience and we really didn't get moving until Round 6. Wins against Northcote Park & Bundoora being the highlights. Recent losses and draws against Lower Plenty and Whittlesea sealed our fate. We are still 2-3 gun mids and a lucky run with injuries from seeing finals action.

It's all about developing the kids for those teams that missed finals and I'm sure this will bear fruit in years to come.

I think the team that gets relegated will be most unlucky from this perspective

... It's all about developing the kids for those teams that missed finals and I'm sure this will bear fruit in years to come ...

Doubtful Unders. The Clubs' that recruit and recruit well play finals. Therein lies the predominant difference between Div 1 Seniors and the rest. That's how it's been. That's how it is.

The reality is, the winner will even but the outcomes are pretty expected. IMO, the league is slipping significantly against its othe metro neighbours. I hate to highlight that but its painfully obvious when you compare every aspect.

Painfully obvious....?!? Your more dramatic than my mrs mate... IMO you are way off with this comment - I see first hand where other competitions are at week in week out... NFL is in a really strong position, EFL is still the benchmark, VAFA at the highest level is quality but all things considered including crowd numbers, demographic, tiered competition, media coverage, professionalism on and off the field and general behavior I'd say many competitions are falling behind the NFL's lead... And the NFL is not far behind the above competitions in regards to quality, interest, players, size and ability as many like to believe.

Glass half full for the NFL and the competition - next week is a perfect example across the board. Don't know which game to get to... Going to be a cracking weekend...!

Lower Plenty need to win by more than 30 points to stay up.

Has there ever been a time that gets relegated but doesn't have the least amount of wins?
Would be nice to be a case of whoever wins stays up, but as it stands Lower may win the battle however still lose the war. It has been a great season as a whole for the competition but a little challenging for us. We have proven to be a competitive unit across the board with wins against 2 finalists but probably dropping games against the sides that we thought would give us winning opportunities. It has however been an extremely positive experience with many young debutants having the opportunity to compete against bigger,stronger and more experienced opponents and often holding there own as well winning many a contest. It has also in many ways been a season of great achievment considering 12 of last years winning div 2 GF winning team have not been part of our year in div 1. We did not recruit heavily, so the bulk of the credit for what we have been able to achieve should go to the young kids who were up for the challenge and the coaches for giving them the opportunity and having the belief in there ability to compete. Whatever happens next week, it would be remiss to not pay credit to Gary Ramsay who is retiring from coaching. Gary announced a couple of weeks ago that wanted a break from coaching to focus on other commitments. I think most know Gary for his enthusiasm and positive approach to his coaching and of being a person of great integrity. I for one have enjoyed his presence around the club as a very funny person who is great to have a chat with and extremely honest! I must apologise though for my failure to provide him with the weekly hot gossip from around the NFL grapevine. I peaked after round 1 and it was downhill from there:) Anyway all the best to everyone next week, hope it's a stellar last round. Hopefully we are good enough to bless you with our presence next season.

Have the mathematicians figured it out? My simple look I reckon:

Panther have to beat the Roosters by over 15 goals.....probably not likely.

The Bears have to beat the Eagles by 6 goals.....if they were at home I would say a chance, tough assignment away.

Anyway it does create interest in the last round, but I do agree with 1876, the winner will come from the top 3 and on any given day any of them will take the prize, personally I see no stand out at the moment.

... Panther have to beat the Roosters by over 15 goals.....probably not likely ... the winner will come from the top 3 and on any given day any of them will take the prize, personally I see no stand out at the moment.

With the current conditions and West at home. Forget it.

Mont are the stand-outs, however, wet days are a great leveler.

I do agree with 1876, the winner will come from the top 3...

How would this prediction differ from just about any competition, any division at any level...? I think the season has standouts but it hasn't had any certainty either, div 2 is looking strong and div 3 clubs are starting to develop plans in becoming sustainable and successful. I'm pretty proud of the comp at the moment

I do agree with 1876, the winner will come from the top 3...

How would this prediction differ from just about any competition, any division at any level...? I think the season has standouts but it hasn't had any certainty either, div 2 is looking strong and div 3 clubs are starting to develop plans in becoming sustainable and successful. I'm pretty proud of the comp at the moment

Divvy 2 is stronger but there is a significant gap to Division 3. Can you imagine the Thomastown v Watsonia blockbuster next season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you will find that the Bears need to win by 29 pts regardless of the scoreline.
Difficult but not impossible.
Good luck with that - might be lucky to kick 29 pts in total at the Whittlesea swamp unless the sun shines this week. The novel water feature snaking through the Showgrounds one downpour away from flooding the ground on Saturday. Rowboat required to access the away coach's box. Warm fire and cold beer in the social rooms far more inviting.

Painfully obvious....?!? Your more dramatic than my mrs mate... IMO you are way off with this comment - I see first hand where other competitions are at week in week out... NFL is in a really strong position, EFL is still the benchmark, VAFA at the highest level is quality but all things considered including crowd numbers, demographic, tiered competition, media coverage, professionalism on and off the field and general behavior I'd say many competitions are falling behind the NFL's lead... And the NFL is not far behind the above competitions in regards to quality, interest, players, size and ability as many like to believe.

Glass half full for the NFL and the competition - next week is a perfect example across the board. Don't know which game to get to... Going to be a cracking weekend...!

My view isnt as remote as you may think. Its also not intended as a pot shot at players of clubs. The simple reality is - viewership does not translate into quality and the website "click through" rate has no bearing on the standard of the league. Nor does crowd attendance as each metro league does not compete for supporters as they do not overlap in jurisdiction. The NFL run the ops out of a shed and seem happy to do so even though we hear about opportunties to move year after year that never materialise. Norf may win Div 2 and be promoted. They are no more capable of competing in Div 1 than they were 12 months ago and half their current list may retire come season end, no U 19's or juniors. Many Div 3 teams are a day to day proposition and we reside in the fastest growing housing corridor in Aust yet the growth plan is non existant. EFL 4 yrs ago introduced grading and it works. It forces clubs to compete on home grown talent AND recruits (blended) and anyone of the top Div 1 clubs will tell you, home grown talent will never win you the big prize. THIS WAS AN INITIATIVE DESIGNED TO IMPROVE FOOTBALL AND HOW CLUBS COMPETE. The NFL are lightyears away from that type of thinking.

The DVFL spent 25 years running itself and its reputation into the soil. Although we move on, that cant be ignored when you review the current NFL status. Its all well and good to have Good Sports programs, charities and slogans that reflect comminity togetherness, but the NFL has the lowest level of ex AFL / VFL recruits of all metro leagues and its by a long margin. For a region that produces a better than average rate of drafted AFL players, that doesnt make sence?

Please dont get me wrong. The solutuons arent easy but if i hear the NFL carry on anymore about charities, feel good community stories or the great strides we are making while FOOTBALL issues continue to be a secondary consideration, I think im going to be sick and Im sure I'm not the only person who feels this way! Just ask any player of club who has had to deal with the tribunal or the investigations committee this season. In my humble opinion of course....

Pettifer takes the automatic for stiking and with two weeks will miss the first final.

The club must be thrilled with him...
some big names at the tribunal that might influence not only the last game but the first final....Pettifer 2 weeks...... smith from west preston up on striking.... scanlon fron n/park up on striking.... jackson and gay from heid contesting yellow cards

some big names at the tribunal that might influence not only the last game but the first final....Pettifer 2 weeks...... smith from west preston up on striking.... scanlon fron n/park up on striking.... jackson and gay from heid contesting yellow cards

incorrect, scanlon was carded for wearing metal stops, he has taken the 1 week.

My view isnt as remote as you may think. Its also not intended as a pot shot at players of clubs. The simple reality is - viewership does not translate into quality and the website "click through" rate has no bearing on the standard of the league. Nor does crowd attendance as each metro league does not compete for supporters as they do not overlap in jurisdiction. The NFL run the ops out of a shed and seem happy to do so even though we hear about opportunties to move year after year that never materialise. Norf may win Div 2 and be promoted. They are no more capable of competing in Div 1 than they were 12 months ago and half their current list may retire come season end, no U 19's or juniors. Many Div 3 teams are a day to day proposition and we reside in the fastest growing housing corridor in Aust yet the growth plan is non existant. EFL 4 yrs ago introduced grading and it works. It forces clubs to compete on home grown talent AND recruits (blended) and anyone of the top Div 1 clubs will tell you, home grown talent will never win you the big prize. THIS WAS AN INITIATIVE DESIGNED TO IMPROVE FOOTBALL AND HOW CLUBS COMPETE. The NFL are lightyears away from that type of thinking.

The DVFL spent 25 years running itself and its reputation into the soil. Although we move on, that cant be ignored when you review the current NFL status. Its all well and good to have Good Sports programs, charities and slogans that reflect comminity togetherness, but the NFL has the lowest level of ex AFL / VFL recruits of all metro leagues and its by a long margin. For a region that produces a better than average rate of drafted AFL players, that doesnt make sence?

Please dont get me wrong. The solutuons arent easy but if i hear the NFL carry on anymore about charities, feel good community stories or the great strides we are making while FOOTBALL issues continue to be a secondary consideration, I think im going to be sick and Im sure I'm not the only person who feels this way! Just ask any player of club who has had to deal with the tribunal or the investigations committee this season. In my humble opinion of course....
I would love to see what you opinion would look like if you included some facts in it.

OK getting close to the finals the question is who do you think will be the most influential players in the final series. Who does your team need to stop to win final games.???

Rumour has it that the sprinklers were timed to come on at 2am at Whittlesea during this week. Rumour also has it that Lower Plenty had scouts policing to make sure this was not the case.

Two sides probably destined to be close to the last game of the year having to play on the postage stamp this week I would think both are not overly happy about it.

I understand that there is/maybe council issues and know Monts ground is out, but surely there is a better ground, div 2 or 3 grounds that are empty? Especially with the reception Monty received from the grounds owners last time, I am surprised they want to go back.

Rumour has it that the sprinklers were timed to come on at 2am at Whittlesea during this week. Rumour also has it that Lower Plenty had scouts policing to make sure this was not the case.

Can't beat a good consipiracy theory!! The ground was actually rolled yesterday and is in pretty good nick. It was only a little bit slippery last night for training despite all the rain.

Should be a ripping game so we're hoping to see a big crowd for what is basically a Grand Final for both teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL Div 1 - Season 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Back