NFL Div 1 - Season 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Any reports from around the grounds. I watched the draw and what a thrilling game it was. In the end it was probably a fitting result as no side deserved to lose. The Cougers watched the ball dribble across the goal line with less than two minutes to go only for the ball to hit the point post. The Panthers pushed the ball forward and had two cracks at scoring but both were well outside 50 and had no chance.

The skills both sides showed was excellent, the conditions where not favourable for them, the infamous Merri Creek Mud pile in the centre was a glue pot. Will be a classic re-match later in the season.

Spoke to a few people that ventured to Whittlesea and, even though they are Monty supporters they conceded that Whittlesea where stiff to lose as they were the better side on the day. From that effort I reckon they will definitely knock a few off at home, makes the battle for relegation a real interesting one this year with Macleod not firing to well at the moment and Lower Plenty not being overly disgraced.

Looking at the fixture big games will be Round 6 Macleod v Lower Plenty, Round 7 Whittlesea v Macleod and Round 9 Lower Plenty v Whittlsea. After this I reckon we may know what's happening.

But looking a little sooner, monster match this week with the powerhouse Heidelberg, leading the way this year and coming off an massive away win take on Monty who have played in three nail-bitters recently.

Any reports from around the grounds. I watched the draw and what a thrilling game it was. In the end it was probably a fitting result as no side deserved to lose. The Cougers watched the ball dribble across the goal line with less than two minutes to go only for the ball to hit the point post. The Panthers pushed the ball forward and had two cracks at scoring but both were well outside 50 and had no chance.

The skills both sides showed was excellent, the conditions where not favourable for them, the infamous Merri Creek Mud pile in the centre was a glue pot. Will be a classic re-match later in the season.

Spoke to a few people that ventured to Whittlesea and, even though they are Monty supporters they conceded that Whittlesea where stiff to lose as they were the better side on the day. From that effort I reckon they will definitely knock a few off at home, makes the battle for relegation a real interesting one this year with Macleod not firing to well at the moment and Lower Plenty not being overly disgraced.

Looking at the fixture big games will be Round 6 Macleod v Lower Plenty, Round 7 Whittlesea v Macleod and Round 9 Lower Plenty v Whittlsea. After this I reckon we may know what's happening.

But looking a little sooner, monster match this week with the powerhouse Heidelberg, leading the way this year and coming off an massive away win
take on Monty who have played in three nail-bitters recently.

They say - petiffer has recently been to the tribunal and will be missing for the next two week? Can anyone confirm this

Maybe the next two weeks, and i think the ? goes after the question not the statement, but we get your drift.

I say - longshanks your very clever. There is a 's missing, the first statement was a question but your right, the follow up statement did need a question mark. The advice has been invaluable (should I add a ! after invaluable) (whoops, i mean - should I add a ! after invaluable?)

Cold and day at Westgarth street, competitive day for all 3 sides, seemed that Northcote reserves went the knuckle all day and were very dirty and cheap, this wasn't present during the seniors game and it seems that Northcote are holding their own without the dependency of Saad being an issue.

Looking at results, I see that the bergs and Bundoora seem to be winning alot of footy yet they have no depth with below average reserves sides, does this mean if injuries do take their toll that both sides will fall into this trap of no depth?

Whittlesea will be relegated this season

On Bundoora's depth, they had four 'non regular' first palyers in the team on saturday who all held their own and would deserve another chance based on that performance. The efforts of the twos is not a great indication as they probably go down as far as 28-30 who could all play first's. The problem is that with so many players leaving to play first grade in lower divisions it has left them short each week and it's hard to put up a consistent effort with 16-18 players.
Having said that this weeks game against greensy will be Bundoora's first real test against a side that does not start the game in damage control and hopefully we will finally see a good game of footy.

Pretty well said Pheonix. Reserves results are not a true reflecion of the depth able to play ones. If a side has five or six players who are capable of stepping into the senior side, then it is not a proplem. Howver these five or six players won't win you a game at reserves level on their own.

Berger's starting to look the goods, far too good for a dissapointing Macleod. Massive game this week against Montmorency, should be a cracker!

On Bundoora's depth, they had four 'non regular' first palyers in the team on saturday who all held their own and would deserve another chance based on that performance. The efforts of the twos is not a great indication as they probably go down as far as 28-30 who could all play first's. The problem is that with so many players leaving to play first grade in lower divisions it has left them short each week and it's hard to put up a consistent effort with 16-18 players.
Having said that this weeks game against greensy will be Bundoora's first real test against a side that does not start the game in damage control and hopefully we will finally see a good game of footy.

From what I am told its 7 meters difference, not sure how correct that is but Monts '50' is only 43

Lower Plenty arcs are 41.5. I know because I did the original measurment.

Just as a bit of a subject changer. Lower got done over for a substantial amount in the early hours on Sunday morning. Those responsable did a pretty clean job of it and knew exactly what to look for and where to find it. Probably targetted due to home game and large function Saturday night, good idea for other clubs to be perhaps a bit more diligent instead or suffering the same fate.

Anyone care to shed some light regarding the performance of Macleod thus far. I was tipping-em for the 5 this season.

Macleod have had a tough start playing probably the 4 top sides this year to kick off the season. Will they be better for as the season goes??? Only time will tell. Were very competitive the first 3 rounds but feel away badly this week when the bigger bodied Heidelberg outmuscled them in the 2nd half to give them a bit of a spanking!

Macleod's problems are lack of depth in the big man department.(Had to play a kid in the ruck this week who only had 1/2 a ressies game under his belt this year). Shaw, Ewart, Lynch, O'brien all have to play "bigger" than they are although Shawry and Lynchy do it very well!
Lack of class to implement the very skillful gameplan they use. Using handball to create space means you need someone on the end of it who can use it. Finding that player gets many of them into trouble and creates alot of turnovers resulting in opposition goals.

I think Macleod will still scare alot of sides this year and win their fair share. Finals???? Probably out of the question now. As for next year.....

Time to up the ante and secure some big recruits. Promoting the kids and investing in the future is great but the kids will play even taller with a few names around them and make them even better players. Would be great if Macleod had a Nolen and or Cloke around to help the likes of Scooter, Shaw, Adams, Harris, Lynch and co!

Macleod have had a tough start playing probably the 4 top sides this year to kick off the season. Will they be better for as the season goes??? Only time will tell. Were very competitive the first 3 rounds but feel away badly this week when the bigger bodied Heidelberg outmuscled them in the 2nd half to give them a bit of a spanking!

Macleod's problems are lack of depth in the big man department.(Had to play a kid in the ruck this week who only had 1/2 a ressies game under his belt this year). Shaw, Ewart, Lynch, O'brien all have to play "bigger" than they are although Shawry and Lynchy do it very well!
Lack of class to implement the very skillful gameplan they use. Using handball to create space means you need someone on the end of it who can use it. Finding that player gets many of them into trouble and creates alot of turnovers resulting in opposition goals.

I think Macleod will still scare alot of sides this year and win their fair share. Finals???? Probably out of the question now. As for next year.....

Time to up the ante and secure some big recruits. Promoting the kids and investing in the future is great but the kids will play even taller with a few names around them and make them even better players. Would be great if Macleod had a Nolen and or Cloke around to help the likes of Scooter, Shaw, Adams, Harris, Lynch and co!

Pretty good assessment SickPig. I got there at quarter time and watched the last 3. Hberg were fantastic all over. Macleod looked meek. Corr looked injured. Was limping badly as he returned after half time? They are just too small when the wether doesnt suit. Conditions ideal for Bergers it must be said.

I would be a very frustrated player if I had to deliver on that type of game plan. There are AFL clubs who fail at it! Their hand and foot skills are just not good enough im afraid.

Still think Cleods can beat Eagles and Bears

Mont V Bergers will be a cracker game this week. Bring it on!

Pretty good assessment SickPig. I got there at quarter time and watched the last 3. Hberg were fantastic all over. Macleod looked meek. Corr looked injured. Was limping badly as he returned after half time? They are just too small when the wether doesnt suit. Conditions ideal for Bergers it must be said.

I would be a very frustrated player if I had to deliver on that type of game plan. There are AFL clubs who fail at it! Their hand and foot skills are just not good enough im afraid.

Great assesment by SickPig, i am sure the game plan will change now that the main driver of that plan has left. Lets hope Macleod can chase down a couple of bigger bodies and take the preasure off the likes of Shaw, he can only lift so many times....
Lets also hope work eases off a bit and i can finally get down to a bloody game...

Great assesment by SickPig, i am sure the game plan will change now that the main driver of that plan has left. Lets hope Macleod can chase down a couple of bigger bodies and take the preasure off the likes of Shaw, he can only lift so many times....
Lets also hope work eases off a bit and i can finally get down to a bloody game...

What was the story with the Assistant coach resigning after Bundoora game Rompa?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Corr didn't look right this week. First game for us this year due to VFL duties and has been on the injury list for Collingwood for 2-3 weeks. Wish he was playing for us all year as we do need his grunt but I didn't mention him earlier as hopefully he plays most of the year at VFL level.

I disagree on the 2s comments, especially if a club is struggling with 19s too.

A decent 2s and 19s team won't just help put pressure on the 1s to perform, but will lift a club in general.

Although the bergers are proving that theory wrong at the moment. Be interesting to see what happens if 2-3 big injuries occur.

A few teams, in particular Mont on top, seem to have a decent bucket of 2s. Early days, but Northcote and Eltham also seem to have some depth.

Unfortunately you missed a great first qtr! Macleod looked very good in the first qtr and had a heap of blokes take a heap of contested marks. Bergers were a little shocked but steadied the ship and dominated the contested ball after that.
Powick was good for Heidelberg. Sinclair controlled the backline in the first half but didn't have much to do after that. Irish played the spare man roll pretty much perfectly and was one of the reasons Macleod barely got it forward in the second half. Lofty was too big up forward and booted a bag. Macleod's kids tried hard but were simply out-muscled and outclassed.
Shaw tried hard in the backline for Macleod but was up against it all day. Bloke by the name of Scooter was also around the ball for a lot of the day but was outbodied by the bigger Heidelberg midfielders. Corr had no impact, Lynch had a great first qtr and did well when the ball got down there after that but was well contained.
Macleod have some good kids and will win a few games for sure, conditions certainly did not suit them and it's actually probably a burden for them playing on their ground as it's confined and quite muddy when it rains.

Corr didn't look right this week. First game for us this year due to VFL duties and has been on the injury list for Collingwood for 2-3 weeks. Wish he was playing for us all year as we do need his grunt but I didn't mention him earlier as hopefully he plays most of the year at VFL level.

I could be wrong and apologies to my friends at Macleod if I am, but I thought I was told by a Macleod person on Saturday that Corr needs a knee op of some description. Perhaps someone from Macleod can confirm?

What was the story with the Assistant coach resigning after Bundoora game Rompa?
AHM, i wasnt there so i cant give you any detail, but there were plenty of people within the club, both players and supporters who didnt go along with his game plan or style.
Time will tell if he is a loss or not, but most think not.

A guy I know was telling me that Northcote Park put the price of a heavy beer up from $4 to $5 as soon as the final siren went last Saturday! Anyone no why they do this? Is it to squeeze a bit more out of the majority opposition supporters hang around after the game?

A guy I know was telling me that Northcote Park put the price of a heavy beer up from $4 to $5 as soon as the final siren went last Saturday! Anyone no why they do this? Is it to squeeze a bit more out of the majority opposition supporters hang around after the game?

Pots of Boags (out of tap) are $4.00 and cans behind the bar are $5.00 :thumbsu:.

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL Div 1 - Season 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Back