Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 167 28.6%
  • No

Votes: 416 71.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought 86 - 30 hard ball gets was a pretty significant bit of data. Just shows that Daicos really isn't in the same stratosphere when it comes to winning his own ball when it's there to be won, which lines up with the criticism that he's much more of an outside player despite what his contested ball numbers suggest.
Why doesn't Cripps have as many loose ball gets?

Does he need to pick up a yard or three of pace?

Cripps was comprehensively dominated by Daicos when the blues came up against the pies. They are not even in the same conversation. Cripps is slow and ineffective
They are in the same conversation according to TAB sportbet.
One is favourite, the other is Nick Daicos.
100% same conversation.
Both very effective players for their teams. Get your goggles off

Who is the better player-
A premiership player

Or

An MVP/ brownlow medalist ?
Nick Daicos.

The last two seasons, in Nick's 2nd and 3rd years in the system, the commentary has jumped between Daicos and Bont as being the best player in the competition.

Cripps is an outstanding player, and would love him at Collingwood, but I can't ever recall him being in the 'best player in the competition' discussions.

Nick Daicos.

The last two seasons, in Nick's 2nd and 3rd years in the system, the commentary has jumped between Daicos and Bont as being the best player in the competition.

Cripps is an outstanding player, and would love him at Collingwood, but I can't ever recall him being in the 'best player in the competition' discussions.
Cripps has been in the conversation for this year, for the past 3 or so weeks on fox . Just as you have Nick on most votes according to your own straw poll, the TAB have their own opinion as well. Clearly weight of money on people who watch a lot of AFL. He is in the convo. Can't deny .

Insane comment from Chris Scott today when asked his plans for Nick Daicos.

'Actually, I would prefer he wasn’t in the team and then we wouldn’t have to spend 5 hours trying to work out what to do with him'.

Wow just wow.

Had a friend from CD hook me up with some stats to clarify any question marks on Nicky's inside game and toughness so I asked him to compare his ball winning modes to Cripps this season and woweeee... Perhaps the uncontested squib tag was correct after all.

Cripps vs Daicos 2024

Hard Balls
86 - 30
Loose Balls
72 - 117
Contested Possessions
244 - 231

Hard Ball/CP%
35% - 13%

Loose Ball/CP%
29.5% - 50.6%

Ground balls
64 - 65

Interestingly when Nick was copping it the most about his inability to win a contested ball by fans on here the stats were -

R0-R8 Hard Balls 36 - 9

Just over 1 hard ball per game by Nicky :oops:
Who is Nicky?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a friend from CD hook me up with some stats to clarify any question marks on Nicky's inside game and toughness so I asked him to compare his ball winning modes to Cripps this season and woweeee... Perhaps the uncontested squib tag was correct after all.

Cripps vs Daicos 2024

Hard Balls
86 - 30
Loose Balls
72 - 117
Contested Possessions
244 - 231

Hard Ball/CP%
35% - 13%

Loose Ball/CP%
29.5% - 50.6%

Ground balls
64 - 65

Interestingly when Nick was copping it the most about his inability to win a contested ball by fans on here the stats were -

R0-R8 Hard Balls 36 - 9

Just over 1 hard ball per game by Nicky :oops:

If Cripps was 6ft and 82kg, is he any good?

Cripps has been in the conversation for this year, for the past 3 or so weeks on fox . Just as you have Nick on most votes according to your own straw poll, the TAB have their own opinion as well. Clearly weight of money on people who watch a lot of AFL. He is in the convo. Can't deny .
There is a difference between being the Brownlow favourite for a week, and being regarded as the best player in the game (or at worst in the best two players in the game) for two thirds of your career.

Cripps was comprehensively dominated by Daicos when the blues came up against the pies. They are not even in the same conversation. Cripps is slow and ineffective
Really? I don't recall Daicgul being a part of of the 2 man tag job on Cripps at every stoppage? Generally he just stood on his own hunting the ball while Crisp, Pendlebury, Schultz, Lipinski and Sidebottom took turns scragging Cripps together to keep him out of Nicky's path.

Funny you say that. In Cripps draft year he started as a 179cm in and under midfielder renowned for being the toughest and best clearance player in the draft, then he shot up 16cm and ended up getting drafted as a 6'5 behemoth doing the same.

Whats Nicky's excuse?
You really are keen to continue to go down this path trying to compare two very different players with two very different skillsets?

Oh my...

When you've finished here, can you please compare Fyfe and Gulden?

There is a difference between being the Brownlow favourite for a week, and being regarded as the best player in the game (or at worst in the best two players in the game) for two thirds of your career.
Yep when Cripps started 2022 averaging 29 touches, 1.9 goals, 12 score involvements and 7.9 clearances a game over the first 9 weeks of the season he was just some bum playing footy! Never been the best player in the comp for more than a week!

You really are keen to continue to go down this path trying to compare two very different players with two very different skillsets?

Oh my...

When you've finished here can you please compare Fyfe and Gulden?
We're talking whether Nicky has what it takes to be the GOAT. Having such a stark deficiency in a key part of the game sticks out like a sore thumb vs the other greats we've seen. 30 hard balls over 16 weeks... Doesn't sound like GOAT material to me.

Oh well. I'll take Leigh Montagna's opinion (as well as a growing chorus of other media commentators) over some BigFooty poster called WalshistheGOAT when it comes to these matters...
Leigh Montagna who's paid to generate clicks with outrageous and hyperbolic statements on a TV show is now a reliable source for future events?

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Back