Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 165 28.6%
  • No

Votes: 412 71.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I view Houston as a need and Petracca as a want for you guys.
Blues supporters would think the opposite - not that I speak for Le Club!

We have a few who can hold their own off HB - Kennedy on the table as we have too many inside mids.

If we had a choice we’d welcome Christian with a fresh pizza & his choice of toppings.

In my humble opinion

1. Ashcroft
2. Sheezel
3. Daicos
Its a good point in that 2 years we have seen 3 players debut at a level rarely rarely seen. All 3 went straight to elite with composure and decision making and have skills that are off the chart.

I think its pretty difficult yet to rate either of the other 2 above Daicos at this point as he has just played a 1st 3 seasons that are maybe only bettered by Bunton and Coleman in the history of the game. But those other 2 have been stunning in their 1st 2 and I I suspect we will be discussing the 3 together for the next 15 years.

I think its pretty difficult yet to rate either of the other 2 above Daicos at this point as he has just played a 1st 3 seasons that are maybe only bettered by Bunton and Coleman in the history of the game. But those other 2 have been stunning in their 1st 2 and I I suspect we will be discussing the 3 together for the next 15 years.
Daicos is indeed in rare company with the likes of Coleman and Bunton.

Interestingly, longevity is the only negative when these two are discussed with the other greatest players of all time.

If Daicos keeps doing what he's been doing for the first 3 seasons of his career, and plays through to his early 30's, surely in the mix for top 10 or 20 in the GOAT discussions.

If he continues to improve and add strings to his bow as you'd expect a young player would do.... hmmmmmm.....

It was. But comparing it to Walkers' mark was a bit like comparing an etch-a- sketch to the Mona Lisa.
If you've played footy you'll appreciate the level of difficulty associated with a pack mark like Krakoeur's compared to the one on one style performed by Walker.

Add in the fact Krakouer's team was the top placed Collingwood, who were at the time were storming back from an 8 goal deficit to overtake Adelaide.

The judges absolutely got that one right.

If you've played footy you'll appreciate the level of difficulty associated with a pack mark like Krakoeur's compared to the one on one style performed by Walker.

Add in the fact Krakouer's team was the top placed Collingwood, who were at the time were storming back from an 8 goal deficit to overtake Adelaide.

The judges absolutely got that one right.
Only the most one eyed supporter would believe that. But at least I think that we have found the person who voted 500 times to get Krakouers mark over the line in the public vote.

Only the most one eyed supporter would believe that. But at least I think that we have found the person who voted 500 times to get Krakouers mark over the line in the public vote.
So how did Krakouer win it then?

I mean, it's not as though Collingwood have infinitely more supporters than Carlton, and Collingwood supporters wouldn't have been aware there was even a public vote at the time, given we had bigger fish to fry in contending for the premiership of that year.

Carlton supporters, not so much...

So how did Krakouer win it then?

I mean, it's not as though Collingwood have infinitely more supporters than Carlton, and Collingwood supporters wouldn't have been aware there was even a public vote at the time, given we had bigger fish to fry in contending for the premiership of that year.

Carlton supporters, not so much...
Who would know. In 2011 the Pies were crying about losing a grand final and crying about Eddie's succession plan with MM leaving and watching MM cry.

Us Carlton supporters were thinking that we were on the way up after beating the Bombers in a semi and missing a prelim by a kick over in Perth. It didn't turn out that way sadly.

I suspect that it had something to do with most Carlton supporters being gainfully employed and not having the time to sit at home continually dialling the 7 mark of the year hot line. I vaguely remember a rebate on phone bills for the long term unemployed around that time.

Who would know. In 2011 the Pies were crying about losing a grand final and crying about Eddie's succession plan with MM leaving and watching MM cry.

Us Carlton supporters were thinking that we were on the way up after beating the Bombers in a semi and missing a prelim by a kick over in Perth. It didn't turn out that way sadly.

I suspect that it had something to do with most Carlton supporters being gainfully employed and not having the time to sit at home continually dialling the 7 mark of the year hot line. I vaguely remember a rebate on phone bills for the long term unemployed around that time.
Or...

The voters got it right and the better mark was selected.

And...

Collingwood contended for that year's premiership, whilst Carlton didn't.

And...

It seems you still don't know how the finals system works. Essendon haven't played in a semi-final in two decades.

Or...

The voters got it right and the better mark was selected.

And...

Collingwood contended for that year's premiership, whilst Carlton didn't.

And...

It seems you still don't know how the finals system works. Essendon haven't played in a semi-final in two decades.
Oh dear.

Only a Collingwood supporter can wear a grand final loss like a badge of honour.

AND

Essendon played in finals games in 2009, 2011, 2014, 2017, 2019 & 2021 and lost them all. They haven't won a final in 20 years.

AND

Walkers mark was the better mark. I was in America at the time and they kept showing it over and over on Sports Centre with the lead in "check out this fantastic catch in the rugby in New Zealand". They didn't show Andrew Krakouer's at all. Maybe they just didn't know that about the opposition etc that you were kind enough to point out for us. But it appears to be very important to you for some reason to believe in something that nobody else believes in (a bit like the tooth fairy which as a Pies supporter you would know plenty about) so rest comfortable in the knowledge that Krakouer's mark of the year was as deserving as Matthew Lloyds back heeled goal of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only a Collingwood supporter can wear a grand final loss like a badge of honour.
Meanwhile, Carlton supporters wear a single Preliminary Final belting in the last 20 years, together with 'being a kick from a Preliminary Final in 2011' (how many times have we heard this?) as a badge of honour...

Essendon played in finals games in 2009, 2011, 2014, 2017, 2019 & 2021 and lost them all. They haven't won a final in 20 years.
Yes, I know.

But I'm not the one who said 'Carlton beat Essendon in a semi [final] in 2011'. You were....
Walkers mark was the better mark. I was in America at the time and they kept showing it over and over on Sports Centre with the lead in "check out this fantastic catch in the rugby in New Zealand". They didn't show Andrew Krakouer's at all. Maybe they just didn't know that about the opposition etc that you were kind enough to point out for us. But it appears to be very important to you for some reason to believe in something that nobody else believes in (a bit like the tooth fairy which as a Pies supporter you would know plenty about) so rest comfortable in the knowledge that Krakouer's mark of the year was as deserving as Matthew Lloyds back heeled goal of the year.
I was aware Walker's 'catch' was shown in the US. But they clearly don't understand the game, illustrated by the references to 'catch', 'rugby' and 'New Zealand'.

Those of us who understand the game appreciate the greater level of difficulty associated with Krak's mark, and he was duly awarded Mark of the Year for his efforts.

As per the public vote.

If I were shown 3 touchdowns from the NFL and asked to select the 'Touchdown of the Year', there is no way known I know anywhere near enough about the game to have an informed opinion.

You'd think after nearly 15 years, you blokes would have gotten over it by now, but I guess that's what happens when you haven't had a lot to celebrate in recent times...

Krak was a good player at Richmond and Collingwood. Brilliant crumbing forward. Good hands, good in traffic too. Good footy brain.

When he won that AFL Mark of the Year in 2011 he won the Alex Jesulenko medal and $10,000 in prize money. 2011 was a good year for marks: Krak's mark, Walker's mark and Nic Nat's mark. All 3 were worthy of winning Mark of the Year. Andy even said he was surprised to win Mark of the Year, he thought Walker would win it.

Anyway, Bobby Hill, this year's Mark of the Year winner, won $50,000 prize money and 2 million Virgin Australia Velocity Frquent Flyer points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Back