No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally disagree.

That game showed me that Collingwood are the real deal, even though they lost. Sydney is a seriously good side and I don't think they have lost a game for about three months. Yet Collingwood nearly pulled it off despite playing at the SCG and getting some dodgy umpiring calls against them.

Everyone's been saying that the Pies were lucky to win so many games by under 10 points and for a while I thought it was an aberration too. But it's the way they play. The self-belief. Taking the game on with attacking flair. The refusal to fold. The four quarter fitness. They have finished their games all over their opponents for the second half of the year. The longer the games have gone the better they have played, like a true two-miler in the Melbourne Cup. They just need to find a way to jump out of the starting gate faster.

McRae has done a fantastic job. Coach of the year as far as I'm concerned. The personnel really aren't that different to what they had a couple of years ago.

Bevo used to be that person for us in 2015-16. Much the same personnel as the ones that floundered under McCartney. A few no-name recruits. But he told them to go for it. He had them all believing in themselves and never giving up (never forget) and it took us to a flag.

No better illustration than in tonight's PF that we need a shake-up. Can you imagine our boys playing with that spirit?
We'd be playing next week if we did.
The tougher draw won’t do them any favours plus a few bounces of the ball going the other way. Could easily drop out.

The tougher draw won’t do them any favours plus a few bounces of the ball going the other way. Could easily drop out.
While I agree they should in theory get a tougher draw it’s a bit of a lottery because some lower teams improve sharply in any given year (eg Collingwood) and some drop from the top 6 (eg Port, WB).
As a result you can finish top 6 and still get a cushy draw the following year. Ask any Cats fan.

(Actually don’t bother doing that. They’ll just deny it.)

The reason the cats make the finals year in year out is because of their biased home ground advantage. No other Victorian team is gifted 8/9 games at the only true suburban Victorian home ground and then they still get to play 6-7 games in Melbourne on top of this which their fans can attend. It would be like us getting 8 games at Whitten Oval and then also getting 6-7 games at either Marvel and the G.

Out of curiosity, i just had a look. This season, they got 7 games at Marvel and the G, and 9 games at the shit hole in Geelong..

FN unbelievable

Utter bullshit

Last edited:

A bit harsh there.
Making a prelim and losing by a point is a great effort.
Sure, they have list gaps but don’t think that the pies won’t also evolve their tactics over the break. No team stands still.
Beauty about the pies now is that players will take unders to play in what is perceived to be a great team environment which makes improving their list easier.
The only reason they were anywhere near a prelim was an easy draw and leaning on some very old and experienced players to get them through literally 10 games that could have gone either way. Credit to them but they were lucky and it's an illusion that they're a young up and coming team.

The amount of froth about Ash Johnson as if he's some young star was hilarious. 24 year old dude who had a decent run of kicking 15 goals in half a season. Those guys bob up a lot and completely fall off the face of the earth next season, usually after theyve settled into a contract. He won the Leon Davis medal yesterday.

I'm tipping a reality check next year, especially if pendlebury loses a step.

The only reason they were anywhere near a prelim was an easy draw and leaning on some very old and experienced players to get them through literally 10 games that could have gone either way. Credit to them but they were lucky and it's an illusion that they're a young up and coming team.

The amount of froth about Ash Johnson as if he's some young star was hilarious. 24 year old dude who had a decent run of kicking 15 goals in half a season. Those guys bob up a lot and completely fall off the face of the earth next season, usually after theyve settled into a contract. He won the Leon Davis medal yesterday.

And then when Johnson falls off that cliff his direct replacement in Ollie Henry is playing elsewhere.

Collingwood 2022=Essendon 2021

Wish we played with their spirit though.

Could also say Collingwood 2022 = Bulldogs 2015, with a first year coach and a frenetic game style

We backed up ok the following year
We did but I think we had far more talent on our list.
Who is Collingwood's equivalent of Bont, Stringer, Macrae, and Liberatore for example?

Hey they may surprise me. But I don't see it.

We did but I think we had far more talent on our list.
Who is Collingwood's equivalent of Bont, Stringer, Macrae, and Liberatore for example?

Hey they may surprise me. But I don't see it.
They have plenty of talent. Daicos x2, de goey and Elliot, as much as they repulse me, Maynard and Moore are both exceptional. Grundy to come back in. I’d say they probably only lack a key forward and a Macrae-type.

Collingwood 2022=Essendon 2021

Wish we played with their spirit though.
Their finals performances put an end to those comparisons I'd say.
Essendon:
Got destroyed in their only final

Collingwood:
Week 1 - Played very well and nearly knocked off the best team.
Week 2 - Comfortable win against a good team.
Week 3 - Very nearly ran over the top of a very good team away from home after a bad start.

Very impressive. Also, essendon were a young team that overachieved. Collingwood are a mostly mature team mixed with some good young kids. They might well drop off a bit from a very successful season but I wouldn't expect a collapse at all.

And as dogwatch said, the idea of getting a much harder draw from finishing higher is hugely overblown. Makes very little difference.

Seen a lot of Collingwood supporters saying they made going to the footy this year 'fun'.

That's all I want. This year we were awful to watch, it was frustrating, boring and painful at times.

1997 - fun, exciting. 2006 - fun, exciting, same in 2015 and 2016 of course. Even some of our leaner years have been enjoyable because of the way we've played. Hope that fun and excitement returns next year.

Have to laugh at what I'm seeing on social media: Collingwood supporters crying foul about umpiring bias that cost them the game, and Sydney supporters indignant that the umpiring made no difference.
Sydney fans should have been more alarmed that Collingwood nearly ran over their team, after Sydney built a commanding early lead. This should serve as a warning for next week.

Seen a lot of Collingwood supporters saying they made going to the footy this year 'fun'.

That's all I want. This year we were awful to watch, it was frustrating, boring and painful at times.

1997 - fun, exciting. 2006 - fun, exciting, same in 2015 and 2016 of course. Even some of our leaner years have been enjoyable because of the way we've played. Hope that fun and excitement returns next year.
Yes, this year was miserable. We couldn't go into games with genuine confidence, it was more like desperate hope - read preview threads for confirmation!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They have plenty of talent. Daicos x2, de goey and Elliot, as much as they repulse me, Maynard and Moore are both exceptional. Grundy to come back in. I’d say they probably only lack a key forward and a Macrae-type.
Agree, they have been mostly good since 2018, certainly top 8. Last year everything went wrong and they fell much lower than they should have. Last year was the outlier for the Pies more than this year.

Of course, that doesn’t mean they will do as well next year, but I don’t think they will fall away too much.

I think the Pies are silly moving on Grundy so they can get McStay, Frampton, Hill etc… Cameron is solid but him and Cox as your rucks ain’t getting the job done when it counts. With Grundy they win last night.

Peter Bell with one of the bigger sooky melts of the year.

It's Rory Lobb not Wayne Carey...he's doing his list a favour by cutting that Gumby a year early.

Last edited:
While I agree they should in theory get a tougher draw it’s a bit of a lottery because some lower teams improve sharply in any given year (eg Collingwood) and some drop from the top 6 (eg Port, WB).
As a result you can finish top 6 and still get a cushy draw the following year. Ask any Cats fan.

(Actually don’t bother doing that. They’ll just deny it.)
It's not really a lottery though. Of course nothing is guaranteed but there is a statistically significant enough correlation between finishing spot year to year to make a good estimation.

The reason the cats make the finals year in year out is because of their biased home ground advantage. No other Victorian team is gifted 8/9 games at the only true suburban Victorian home ground and then they still get to play 6-7 games in Melbourne on top of this which their fans can attend. It would be like us getting 8 games at Whitten Oval and then also getting 6-7 games at either Marvel and the G.

Out of curiosity, i just had a look. This season, they got 7 games at Marvel and the G, and 9 games at the s**t hole in Geelong..

FN unbelievable

Utter bullshit
Good luck to them. I never understand the criticism of a club that stayed at their ground. Do we criticise any interstate team for getting 12 home games. Of course not.

Good luck to Geelong for making their home ground a fortress.

Good luck to them. I never understand the criticism of a club that stayed at their ground. Do we criticise any interstate team for getting 12 home games. Of course not.

Good luck to Geelong for making their home ground a fortress.
Nah fk geelong.

Lets pile in as hard as possible.

It's not really a lottery though. Of course nothing is guaranteed but there is a statistically significant enough correlation between finishing spot year to year to make a good estimation.
True. Lottery was just my turn of phrase. Didn't mean it literally.

My point being that you can still end up with a fairly kind draw from the top 6 (and equally you can get an unkind one from 7-12th). We won't know until we find out who the big improvers and big flops are ... about 6 weeks into the 2023 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back