No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, I’m a little surprised there are posters downplaying it tbh.

What’s been reported isn’t just unfortunate decision making, it’s pretty poor. Dressing up as the twin towers? Ffs. And for those who’ll absolve them as they weren’t even born then, well I wouldn’t be dressing up as a Japanese POW anytime soon and that was decades before I was born.

People can play the woke card if they want, but excusing this shitty behaviour as a “joke” or “boys letting off steam” has consequences, whether you understand them or not.

This club (and all other clubs) have a diverse fan base and an AFLW team. Some of the “jokes” are abhorrent.
Who’s downplaying it? I felt the penalties they were suggesting to start with - 6 weeks for 8 players was extreme as it would stuff the season for the plastics plus worse things go unpunished . No doubt it’s abhorrent stuff

A tub of yoghurt has a healthy culture.

Go Away Reaction GIF

What’s been reported isn’t just unfortunate decision making, it’s pretty poor. Dressing up as the twin towers? Ffs. And for those who’ll absolve them as they weren’t even born then, well I wouldn’t be dressing up as a Japanese POW anytime soon and that was decades before I was born.

People can play the woke card if they want, but excusing this shitty behaviour as a “joke” or “boys letting off steam” has consequences, whether you understand them or not.

This club (and all other clubs) have a diverse fan base and an AFLW team. Some of the “jokes” are abhorrent.

I wouldn't say I was downplaying it either. My criticism is this is low hanging fruit for the AFL, it's easy for them. The wrongdoing is obvious, they know it's a slam dunk when it comes to having the public on side, most will accept the punishment and it's at a club nobody really gives two s**** about.

But, when it comes to suss trade and draft practices, it's in the too hard basket and we all know why. Great having friends in high places...

I wouldn't say I was downplaying it either. My criticism is this is low hanging fruit for the AFL, it's easy for them. The wrongdoing is obvious, they know it's a slam dunk when it comes to having the public on side, most will accept the punishment and it's at a club nobody really gives two s**** about.

But, when it comes to suss trade and draft practices, it's in the too hard basket and we all know why. Great having friends in high places...
….And we don’t want to upset the betting agencies that leech off our game.

Pretty rank stuff, think the suspensions are more than fair

Leaders getting fined is fair as well. Probably not a particularly smart idea for an end of season breakup and someone at some stage should've put a stop to it

Most posters on that thread, are more concerned about who the snitch was, and hoping they and the venue get what they deserve. Says all you need to know.

Most posters on that thread, are more concerned about who the snitch was, and hoping they and the venue get what they deserve. Says all you need to know.
What thread

Overreaction from the AFL. You should see the reviews of ‘The Wooly’ in Sydney where the plastics function was held 💩 it has bombed the business. Plenty of 1 stars since.

Leaders getting fined is fair as well. Probably not a particularly smart idea for an end of season breakup and someone at some stage should've put a stop to it

How do you dress up as the Twin Towers😵‍💫

Would Jimmy Bartel and Mitch Duncan get in trouble for dressing up as Ricky Nixon and the school girl these days?
100%, but 2011 was a different time. Everyone had a laugh about back then, today they would face the same punishment as the GWS players.

Also what is the obsession with freaking dressing up as an adult? Couldn't think of anything worse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is all making perfect sense to me. Mitch Cleary tells us that Jake Riccardi dressed up as a taxi driver. Mitch Cleary tells us that Jake Riccadi left before the sex skit happened. AFL tells us Jake Riccardi is suspended for two matches. Ok

This seems like a reasonable assessment. Includes a summary of the alleged happenings.

It's not just a re-telling of the sorry GWS saga. It's a cautionary tale for all clubs.

It's effectively a work sanctioned event. I know an AFL club is not exactly a normal workplace, but this doesn't fly within a professional organisation. It's also understandable that the leaders in the room who allowed it to happen were implicated in the punishment.

Even for mad Monday’s with my social, no-mark low level Sunday league club, beforehand all the players are reminded that they are still representing the club.

So it’s pretty staggering that sort of thing has happened for a professional club. Not just 1 instance of something either…multiple.

Struggling to come to terms with the fact they actually a) thought this was a good idea and b) thought it would be OK to do this at a public venue.

Also, 7 News going to Campbell Brown for expert comment 🙄

Those educational sessions for AFL players hitting the mark then? 🤔

Surely the club though, any club, reiterates to all their players in the 24 hours or so before Wacky Wednesday or whichever day they're "letting their hair down" to have fun, but remember there are boundaries (even for cashed up twenty-something young men)???

We are dealing with GWS Giants, not intellectual giants.

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back