No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

The love-in for GWS in the back half of the season was genuinely puzzling to me and should have been to anyone who studied their games in detail. Narrow wins against bad teams, luck in kicking accurately and their opponents kicking inaccurately.

Was barely mentioned in the media at all in this context.
It’s why I simultaneously rated them and didn’t rate them. They were extremely good at making the most of the chances but the other team nearly always had more shots on goal and i50s and other key stat.

It’s why I simultaneously rated them and didn’t rate them. They were extremely good at making the most of the chances but the other team nearly always had more shots on goal and i50s and other key stat.
They've lost a few players and the love in is still there by odds and ladder predictions.

Meanwhile, we lost Sniff who didn't play last season and Macrae and Caleb who had minimal input and are written off 🤪

Every chance they can't replicate the run from this year. They were high on emotion & excitement.

New season wouldn't surprise me if they crash back down.
Hawks in 2024 remind me a little of us in 2015. Certainly wouldn't rule them out.

To be fair they're in more trouble from NSW Liquor now there anything and potentially lose their license
Why? I don't believe there's been any suggestion that the players were necessarily intoxicated (to the point of a venue losing their license). I don't think patrons acting immorally is grounds for stripping a venue of their license.

But when people look up places to go to, they look at the reviews and a 3 star review, skewed by lots of 1 star reviews, could turn people away who base their venue choice on google reviews. It is almost like cancel culture, but for venues I guess.
You’d be surprised how little people care about that, unless it changes the overall rating significantly.

The whole outraged mob thing and spamming negative comments on the venues page, is childish as. And pretty much the attempt at cancelling by those who complain about cancelling so much. Why attack a whole venue and it's entire staff for the actions of one employee? The venue didn't report the GWS players, an individual did. Don't except common sense from the low IQ rage types.

Last edited:
Why? I don't believe there's been any suggestion that the players were necessarily intoxicated (to the point of a venue losing their license). I don't think patrons acting immorally is grounds for stripping a venue of their license.
They clearly took issue after the fact with what they did and had no action on the day and are literally under investigation now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This seems like a reasonable assessment. Includes a summary of the alleged happenings.

It's not just a re-telling of the sorry GWS saga. It's a cautionary tale for all clubs.

Theme: "controversial couples"

What could possibly go wrong with that?! 🤔

“It took place at the Woolly Bay Hotel in Sydney’s eastern suburbs.”

Liquor and Gaming NSW told 7NEWS it is investigating the incident, but won’t make any further comment.
I see. As far as I'm aware Liquor and Gaming NSW would have zero ability to sanction the venue for what the players were doing re the so-called skits outside of the behaviour being illegal (and why should they?) - there is mention of nudity, so perhaps that is enough to bring them in. Maybe there was an issue with intoxication at the same time too?

I see. As far as I'm aware Liquor and Gaming NSW would have zero ability to sanction the venue for what the players were doing re the so-called skits outside of the behaviour being illegal (and why should they?) - there is mention of nudity, so perhaps that is enough to bring them in. Maybe there was an issue with intoxication at the same time too?
It will 100% be they should've been cut off serving alcohol

It will 100% be they should've been cut off serving alcohol
Anyone with an RSA knows you cannot serve alcohol in licensed premises to an intoxicated person. The poor choices by the players clearly started early with the theme and how the players interpreted that, but then the skits themselves probably demonstrate a level of intoxication of some kind

AFL playing the moral arbiter and moral compass again (when it suits them)

Just concentrate on running the game because you are digging a hole.
Like it or not, they're a business undertaking necessary levels of governance. The event was effectively sanctioned by one of its clubs.

Like it or not, they're a business undertaking necessary levels of governance. The event was effectively sanctioned by one of its clubs.

I don't know whether or not the event was sanctioned by the club. Happy to take your word on that.

If correct then AFL should have the issue with the club not the players.

AFL headquarters on such things is pick and choose and wishy washy.

I don't know whether or not the event was sanctioned by the club. Happy to take your word on that.

If correct then AFL should have the issue with the club not the players.

AFL headquarters on such things is pick and choose and wishy washy.

ABC article reported that the club booked the venue. Not sure if by "the club" they mean "the players", but the theme alone highlights someone other than younger players themselves, (senior players, GWS, AFL) should have pulled them up. But ultimately they're adults, so have responsibility as representatives of themselves, but also of the club and broader league, given they're interacting with paid staff, to act responsibly.

If they were at one of their houses, or a venue where no one else was involved, different story.

HS initially reported they also stepped outside the venue onto the street. Did they appear on the street only in (offensive) costumes, or also perform offensive acts?

And as I posted earlier, ALL AFL players are advised about this sort of stuff from the moment they're drafted. So does blame ultimately lie with the players, the club or the AFL. I'd suggest players carry most of it, but wouldn't exonerate the club completely either. I'm not sure what else the AFL (as much as I'm as critical as anyone of them) can do in this case. Surely the club would reiterate (again) in the lead up to these sort of events the responsibility involved in the circumstances it is held?

ABC article reported that the club booked the venue. Not sure if by "the club" they mean "the players", but the theme alone highlights someone other than younger players themselves, (senior players, GWS, AFL) should have pulled them up. But ultimately they're adults, so have responsibility as representatives of themselves, but also of the club and broader league, given they're interacting with paid staff, to act responsibly.

If they were at one of their houses, or a venue where no one else was involved, different story.

HS initially reported they also stepped outside the venue onto the street. Did they appear on the street only in (offensive) costumes, or also perform offensive acts?

And as I posted earlier, ALL AFL players are advised about this sort of stuff from the moment they're drafted. So does blame ultimately lie with the players, the club or the AFL. I'd suggest players carry most of it, but wouldn't exonerate the club completely either. I'm not sure what else the AFL (as much as I'm as critical as any one of them) can do in this case. Surely the club would reiterate (again) in the lead up to these sort of events the responsibility involved in the circumstances it is held?
I agree with one thing - have it at a blokes house. However, this generation want to be seen and have the yearly ‘bad boy’ photo taken outside of a pub. They can all go and get f*cked.

If I find anyone buying ‘Cotton On’ they are dead to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back