Opinion Non-Crows AFL 4: The Centre Cannot Hold

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

So proof on camera Port had 19 men on the ground…..I thought that meant the score for the qtr had to be cancelled.

Anyone know the actual rule?
free and fifty from whereever the ball is or the centre circle - whatever is greater advantage.

The one that got paid last week was done incorrectly (no 50m)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone from north could probably clarify?
I'm a North supporter, and think they amended it after the 2018 prelim incident, to any opposition player being able to call it, not just the captain.

Don't quote me on that though. It was a week of mixed emotions when that infamous incident occurred. My wife and kids are WWT supporters, so it was a very tense time in the household.

The captain of the opposition has to ask the umpire for a head count I believe
When the free + 50 rule came in a decade, decade and a half ago - this (captain calling number count) no longer applied in the afl, however, it still stood for all other leagues. Though, after the 2018 preliminary final when North kicked 0.2*with 19 on the field the SANFL changed their rule to pending league review.

*The mark for the goal had been paid, but the kick was kicked with only 18 on the field

AFL rule only:

A few weeks after this incident (2008), the AFL introduced a new rule allowing the interchange steward to inform the umpires of interchange errors: specifically, when a player enters the field before the player he is replacing has left the field, or when a player is interchanged without using the interchange gate. In each case, the penalty is a free kick in the centre of the ground or at the spot of the ball at the time, whichever is the greater penalty against the offending team. If the offending team is not in possession of the ball, the umpire shall impose an additional 50-metre penalty against them. Any score or free kicks given to the opposition when an interchange infringement has occurred are cancelled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back