Opinion Non-Crows AFL 6: This Is Getting Cruel

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
But when a black person did speak out about the camp he was asked to speak about it in a different manner, and when he refused he was banned from the leadership group.

Wasn't it all people who spoke about the camp, and weren't numerous players voted out of the leadership group by the playing group, including Daniel Talia?

Last edited:

Wasn't it all people who spoke about the camp, and weren't numerous players voted ouit of the leadership group by the playing group, including Daniel Talia?

You may be right, I've got information overload with the camp stuff and so many stories blend together that I struggle to keep them straight.

Either way, it also happened to the primarily aggrieved party so that is what is most relevant.

If this was the Crows, the AFL would release that report and hang us out to dry. The AFL is nothing more than Victorian circle jerk disguised as a national competition.
Crows ?

They would literally tear up our license and start looking for a new 2nd Club from SA.

Deny, deny, deny. I would be surprised if Fagan or Clarko admitted to any of this.

Unless there is actual evidence be it a recording and or multiple witnesses, I cant see how they will have their current contracts terminated.

Trail by media already mate.
I doubt there is any comming back from this regardless of outcome.

And what are the posters that wanted a ruthless coach (Clarkson) at any cost coming to the Crows thinking now?

Interested in their take now?
I wasn't in the "get Clarko" camp but I'm pretty sure it's okay to change your mind when new information arises. Doubling down would be a yikes from me though.

As far as I know, "bullying in the workplace" is still covered under Workcover
Workplace bullying is still alive and well, especially as it gets swept under the carpet in almost every single instance.

If even a fraction of what has been reported is true it's absolutely disgusting. And I'm not naive enough to think this was unique to Hawthorn either. It's a cancer in the entire football industry. I just hope (but doubt) that this kind of s**t is gone now, and those responsible get what is coming to them.
Agreed

But unlike how AFC was treated in ignoring the stories until something concrete comes out.

I'll assume Hawthorn will manage it far better than we did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just playing devils advocate

What if the story has changed over time. Hypothetically

Let’s say there’s a player, Jed for example. He’s struggling, and his home life is chaotic. His partner is causing trouble, he can’t eat properly, sleep and it’s affecting him on the track.

The coach asks him what’s wrong? He tells him, that his partner is drinking too much, she crazy, and he doesn’t know what to do. They moved in together, he got nowhere to go, he’d get away if he could.

They monitor the situation over a few weeks, and it gets no better.

He asks for help

The coach says you can move in with the assistant coach for a bit whilst you figure things out.

Still doesn’t help, she’s always calling him late at night. Family is everything, his family back home they tell him to go back

Eventually the coaches tell him he has to make a choice he’s not meeting standards, it’s not working. They talk more, he wants help. They swap his SIM card, help him gets some peace

Things calm down, and eventually he reconciled with his partner. Moves back in.

Still it doesn’t work out. Gets de-listed

He starts to think that the club was trying to interfere in his relationship. That they made him do it…

Dunno, definitely not saying that’s true. But I wonder if Clarko & co. Might see things that way, and how could you prove it?

What if the player asked for help? And his partner, is always in his ear for a payday. They tried to take him away from her, but he can’t quite tell her he asked for help too?

Is that an impossible scenario?

Maybe, just maybe, it’s really complicated?

But then, you wonder if there are equivalent stories with white draftees and if there aren’t… were the club officials offering different advice and help based on a deeper, intuitive racist perspective?

What if the club was sensitive to potential problems with volatile indigenous partners (real or imagined) in a way that they weren’t with white players?

that’s systemic, institutional racism even though the protagonists might have thought otherwise
Jeez they’d want to have all those conversations documented

I wasn't in the "get Clarko" camp but I'm pretty sure it's okay to change your mind when new information arises. Doubling down would be a yikes from me though.
I dont think there is anything wrong in having wanted "Get Clarko" up to about midnight of last night, before all of this came out.

Agreed

But unlike how AFC was treated in ignoring the stories until something concrete comes out.

I'll assume Hawthorn will manage it far better than we did.

These allegations stretch back nearly a decade,and public murmurings of racism surrounding the Clarkson Hawks have been out in the open since at least Riolis retirement.

Obviously the indigenous aspect adds another many layers of depravity, but imagine telling anyone that regardless of race

In what world would you ever speak to another human like that, even before accounting for particular sensitivities or vulnerabilities.
100% Anyone who has a boss that's treated them like this is beyond disturbing

Clarko will coach North in 2023.

Unless he admits to anything, its effectively one person's word against another.

In a legal sense absolutely. In an AFL damage control stitch up, and the weight of public opinion sense, can't see it happening.

May start off the season but I doubt he or Fagan last long.

Hawthorn racism review: Lions coach Chris Fagan stands down pending an AFL investigation​

Brisbane coach Chris Fagan has stood down pending an AFL investigation into damning revelations in the Hawthorn racism review.

Brisbane coach Chris Fagan has stood down pending an AFL investigation into the treatment of Indigenous players and their families in his time at Hawthorn.
Former Hawks staffer Fagan has been devastated and blindsided by the allegations and he has told he has no knowledge of the meetings that have been alleged by former Hawthorn indigenous players.

The Lions on Wednesday confirmed Fagan would step down from his position as senior coach to allow the league the time and scope to speak to former Hawthorn indigenous players about harrowing allegations they were mistreated.

The Lions said Fagan would cooperate fully with the league investigation.

The Brisbane Lions’ statement said the club was “aware senior coach Chris Fagan will work with the AFL on an investigation into allegations concerning historical events at the Hawthorn Football Club, where he was a former employee.”

“Chris supports and welcomes the investigation. He was not consulted during the Hawthorn sponsored review and looks forward to the opportunity to be heard as part of the AFL investigation,” the statement said.

“The Brisbane Lions and Chris have mutually agreed that he will take a leave of absence from the club so he can fully cooperate in the investigation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back