Opinion Non-Crows AFL 9

Which team will finish the 2024 season higher ranked?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of the time wifi to Ps5. If not wifi to smart tv.

Buffering and losing quality during a game was very rare, but it happened one weekend.

The outage I spoke about was widespread, people were venting online.

As for the ad buffering, that was like clockwork. First quarter fine, cut to ads, get the loading circle straight away. Everytime. Thankfully the actual games weren’t impacted.
My son in law was experiencing the exact same frustrations .....I told him to run an Ethernet Cable, modem to TV ......problem solved !!!

Was always going to be an issue at times of peak viewership (Wi-Fi) .....4K will exasperate the problem

Is no-one using a fire stick? I bought one half price in a black friday sale, and i think its brilliant - i stream everything through it on a cheap Aldi tv. Kayo is crystal HD, no buffering or drop outs and all features work. The chromecast is gathering dust in a cupboard.

Wait til you wanna cancel it 😂

But yeah, I accept Foxtel suits some, but I think in StonesThrow case if he only wants footy (and other sport) it‘s worth trying to make Kayo work.

You can cancel it with the click of a button, no hardware, no fuss, no dealing with any customer service people.
They took an hour trying to convince me to stay (after 16 years)... offered me the earth and the moon... I said "where were those offers all those years I paid for platinum?" They were prepared to offer me free upgrades to both boxes, all channels except movies for just $42 a month. (We'd previously been paying well above $100 a month and the boxes were old). I said "for $35 a month you've got me"... ($35 being the cost of Kayo) and he said "for the sake of $7, you'd let that deal go?" My response was "For the sake of $7 you'd let me go?"

feenix67 summed it up well — on some built-in TV apps it’s rubbish. I streamed it through Apple TV and it was pretty good.

My advice would be to do whatever possible to avoid getting stuck in Foxtel’s dragnet.

Plenty of people here will vouch for them being a nightmare to deal with if anything goes wrong or you want to cancel.

Also - clunky hardware (that they own) in your home? Nah.
Worst company I have ever had to deal with in my life was Foxtel..

Took me about four months to cancel my service with them.. they simply kept right on charging my credit card..

In the end I cancelled my card to stop them.. then when they rang up to “let me know that my payment had been declined” I said “I fxxkn hope so” and explained that I’d rung three times and gone through the policy cancel proceedure already and it was ignored..

Then.. for the next two years they cold called me every couple of months (from a different number each time so I couldnt simply block them) trying to convince me to sign up again.

The last time they got through to me I threatened them with legal action if they rang me again.. so they mustve taken my number off their cold call list.. as I never heard from them again.

The next few years I simply signed up to the AFL app to watch my footy..

Now I’m with Kayo.. and even though its owned by fox.. i get it cheap via Telstra and dont mind the service.. can glitch every now and then but its not a big deal. Think it happened in the 1st quarter of one crows game last year..

Average quality stream that doesn't seem to correlate with my internet speed. Weird things happen throughout the games like jumping back to random places for no reason. Last season the stream stuttered for the first 5 minutes of every single game before getting better.

Lack of features like resuming play or jumping to certain parts of the game.

Main menu sucks. It's not easy to find what you want.

I have only used it on a couple of different smart TV's so maybe there's another way that's better e.g. Chromecast.
I've never had any of those problems. All footy I've watched is crystal clear viewing. I can stop, start, pause, go back, go forward, go slow, go fast, go to goal events, go to any part of the game. I agree the menu needs work though.

Kayo has been mostly no issues for me except for a period last year where each quarter the stream would reset to the start during live games.

But there was one of our games I was watching on delay as I had got home late, sometime in the first quarter it skipped ahead to the end of the game. Hopefully they've sorted that out because I wasn't happy.

Is no-one using a fire stick? I bought one half price in a black friday sale, and i think its brilliant - i stream everything through it on a cheap Aldi tv. Kayo is crystal HD, no buffering or drop outs and all features work. The chromecast is gathering dust in a cupboard.
Yes, the "Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K" is perfect, no problems with Kayo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When I used the Foxtel Now trial, I liked the ability to scroll through the channels (see below).

The only thing I don't like about Kayo is to change the channel you have to go back to the main menu and change from there.

They are both the same company, why can't they have the same UI?

Kayo with the Foxtel Now UI and 4K would almost be perfect.

Screenshot_20240131_173038_Chrome.jpg

I ditched Kayo 2 years ago.
1. It is far too expensive.
2. I don't want to give that evil dictator Murdoch any of my money.
I'd probably do the same, if I was living in Adelaide.

Living in Canberra, the number of Crows games on FTA TV each year can be counted on one hand.

Most of the time wifi to Ps5. If not wifi to smart tv.

Buffering and losing quality during a game was very rare, but it happened one weekend.

The outage I spoke about was widespread, people were venting online.

As for the ad buffering, that was like clockwork. First quarter fine, cut to ads, get the loading circle straight away. Everytime. Thankfully the actual games weren’t impacted.
It doesn't happen every time for me, but I do see it occasionally. It was most notable when cricket threw to the lunch/tea break shows.

I probably don't experience it while watching the footy, because I watch the game on delay, so I skip straight past the 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 time breaks (and catch the end in close to real time).

It doesn't happen every time for me, but I do see it occasionally. It was most notable when cricket threw to the lunch/tea break shows.

I probably don't experience it while watching the footy, because I watch the game on delay, so I skip straight past the 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 time breaks (and catch the end in close to real time).
It’s an odd phenomenon

Dwayne doesn't rate us for the 8.

Russell’s top eight:

1 - Brisbane
2 - Collingwood
3 - Sydney
4 - Carlton
5 - Melbourne
6 - Port Adelaide
7 - Western Bulldogs
8 - GWS

I like that he named the top 8. Too many times now a days some in the media list of about 12 teams for the top 8. The hard part is defending those you don't pick.

I think it's a reasonable guess, personally I think Gold Coast will make it and hopefully us. Carlton and Sydney are the two I would drop from his list. I think the other six will win the 13 to 14 games needed.

It's a good reminder though of how hard it will be for us.

I like that he named the top 8. Too many times now a days some in the media list of about 12 teams for the top 8. The hard part is defending those you don't pick.

I think it's a reasonable guess, personally I think Gold Coast will make it and hopefully us. Carlton and Sydney are the two I would drop from his list. I think the other six will win the 13 to 14 games needed.

It's a good reminder though of how hard it will be for us.
Going to be a fascinating season.
A lot more teams on the rise than decline I feel

So just acts as a device which allows you to use the apps as if they were installed on your TV?

Chromecasting is a pain

Are you using Wi-Fi, or casting from the phone ....because that would explain any buffering

It's gotta be hot-wired to the TV .....using the TV App
Ex cable Foxtel guy here. Now with Kayo. Best way if you are casting from a phone? I have a shit tonne of data on my phone but no home internet plan. I use the app on my tv and get a fair bit of buffering. When its bad its real bad, when it's good it's good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back