Opinion Non-Crows AFL 9

Which team will finish the 2024 season higher ranked?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
so is calling a straight man gay homophobic now?
Well, yeah. Using a gay slur (especially a rather offensive one) as an insult carries the implication that being gay is inferior and undesirable.

AFL is a joke, you say this in any job and you get sacked. You can't stamp it out by letting someone sit out for a bit.

GIF by BeGreen Fazendas Urbanas

Much less than half, one was said directly to the player during a game by another player.

You would assume this would have a bigger impact to the player than a slur the player was unaware was even said.
Agree

And Tex copped a $20k fine.

The punishment Tex copped was about right IMO. I initially felt he should be sacked. Many people would lose their job in the real world. I would.

This is lenient.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

We have zero atmosphere, yeah it picks up a bit when we're winning, but it's just masking a bigger issue. Something needs to be done.
I used to make so much noise at games but I'm just so over the shit football we play. The last time I felt happy at the football was the 2017 prelim other then the occasional nice moment (Dawson after the siren etc.).

I still get into it but nobody around me does at all. It's just a bunch of happy clappers talking to their friends and looking at their multis instead of actually getting into the game.

Edit: atmosphere was better at gather round. Actually enjoyed sitting in a different area, wonder if it's worth pursuing a seat change after 10 years+?

Was it homophobia though or has the word transcended its original use? South Park who usually get their social commentary pretty spot on, covered this exact topic. I only presume he said the F word.
The term is not used nearly as much as it was even 10-15 years ago.

In public/on a football field it's almost definitely going to be interpreted as an offensive slur by someone (there are more than just players involved in the game.)

Even from a purely pragmatic sense this is the sort of thing that kicks of brawls and/or someone gets injured in the retaliation.

We don't accept "I know I punched him in the face and broke his jaw, but I meant to hit him in the lower leg while going for the ball and slipped!" excuses anymore. Nor should "Actually it's not offensive because I'm seven layers of irony deep in my use of the term."

Does the origin of the phrase "a team sucks" or "a player sucks" with sucks as a putdown come from c---s-----?

View attachment 1955610
Depends if you ask Americans or the English.

Does the origin of the phrase "a team sucks" or "a player sucks" with sucks as a putdown come from c---s-----?

View attachment 1955610

I’ve always assumed so. But let’s not pretend that it wouldn’t have been originally a sl_t shaming slur either

Or it could have a baby-like not good reference

Heck, I don’t know. Ignore me, I’m thinking out loud

I’ve always assumed so. But let’s not pretend that it wouldn’t have been originally a sl_t shaming slur either

Or it could have a baby-like not good reference

Heck, I don’t know. Ignore me, I’m thinking out loud

Apparently both!

Sucking on teat, and from first recording in 1928 to do fellatio

Get where you're coming from. I did Thursday night, Mt Barker Sat, Dogs v Cats Sat night, Food and Wine from about 11am, Tigers v Saints at Norwood, back to Food and Wine for Temper Trap, then in for the Baker Boy/Jet show at Adelaide Oval.

I rested all yesterday. Will be booking in leave for next year and doing it all again.

I know you shouldn't compare gather round games to regular Adelaide home games but the contrast was stark. Over the years I've begun to kinda hate our home games.

We have zero atmosphere, yeah it picks up a bit when we're winning, but it's just masking a bigger issue. Something needs to be done.

I'm not talking about pre match enentertainment the club think they can fix it with that kinda stuff, it's useless. I'm talking about the demographic of our crowd. It's nothing new, but here we are still no change.

I get that having 40k odd people every year renewing their same seat isn't exactly 'a problem' to the club.

At a very minimum we need support from the AFL to implement a better seat return system. From what I heard if you returned a ticket for a gather round game you just automatically got your refund, wasn't contingent on the ticket being resold and was cash, not a future membership credit.

Maybe something like that would be enough to bring in 5-10k more fresh blood each week. Sell a more GA tickets as well?

What can be done?
Atmosphere at games now is the same as it’s always been. Of course it’s better when we are winning, of course it’s better when we win after siren (Dawson), or nearly complete a massive comeback to play finals (Sydney last year). So yeah, of course is was better when winning more in 2015-2017. People really do seem to take for granted how good it is to continually attract 40k+, no other sport in Australia attract those crowds consistently.

Gather Round on Saturday night is different as a lot of people there were neutrals and just wanting to have fun, impossible to get that type of atmosphere at any teams home game where they dominate the crowd numbers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Atmosphere at games now is the same as it’s always been. Of course it’s better when we are winning, of course it’s better when we win after siren (Dawson), or nearly complete a massive comeback to play finals (Sydney last year). So yeah, of course is was better when winning more in 2015-2017. People really do seem to take for granted how good it is to continually attract 40k+, no other sport in Australia attract those crowds consistently.

Gather Round on Saturday night is different as a lot of people there were neutrals and just wanting to have fun, impossible to get that type of atmosphere at any teams home game where they dominate the crowd numbers.

It's seriously like you did not even read my post.

Using the Fxxxot word as a homophobic slur At least Clarko used a more universal term.
I presume Boomers, Gen X, Millenials and Gen Z are all familiar with the sock cutter reference?

I’ve a lot of gay friends who use that word ALL the time, to gay and straight friends alike. Usually to mean stop being a prissy little bitch.

Never thought much about it, but maybe it’s a bit like the N word; being reclaimed to strip it off its power to offend?

Agree

And Tex copped a $20k fine.

The punishment Tex copped was about right IMO. I initially felt he should be sacked. Many people would lose their job in the real world. I would.

This is lenient.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I agree. Tex biggest mistake was he needed to own it straight away.

I agree. Tex biggest mistake was he needed to own it straight away.
Didn't he? My memory is fuzzy on this, but I can't remember Tex or the club initially denying it. I think they were trying to deal with it directly with the AFL away from the spotlight and it leaked through Mclure, but thats not the same as not fronting up about it.

Tex did that video with Robbie and was pretty harshly criticised for that too.

If anyone was curious how the rest of the AFL views the crow's, Eddie McGuire said on footy classified about last year's Keays non goal.
They are lucky it happened to Adelaide because they are a complient side, if it was Collingwood they would still be in court.

That's a damning assesment from a former president in my opinion.

Last edited:
If anyone was curious how the rest of the AFL views the crow's, Eddie McGuire said on footy classified about last year's Keays non goal.
They are lucky it happened to Adelaide because they are a compliment side, if it was Collingwood they would still be in court.

Welcome back!

They are lucky it happened to Adelaide because they are a compliment side, if it was Collingwood they would still be in court.

He said a compliant side, but same point

But what would the courts be looking to achieve here that we didn’t get for ourselves anyway? The finals aren’t going to be replayed and we got a very commercially generous fixture (which we’re ballsing up but that’s on us) and extra funding for Thebarton.

Eddie’s comment was more about ego than anything

He said a compliant side, but same point

But what would the courts be looking to achieve here that we didn’t get for ourselves anyway? The finals aren’t going to be replayed and we got a very commercially generous fixture (which we’re ballsing up but that’s on us) and extra funding for Thebarton.

Eddie’s comment was more about ego than anything
Spelling mistake. Thanks will fix.

His statement of what action he would take is really irrelevant to the total point.

Adelaide is seen by other club leadership as compliant. A.k.a they are good boys and girls who do as they are told by leadership.

If that doesn't concern supporters that the club isn't fighting hard enough behind the scenes we clearly have different expectations of what a good football club does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back