Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

There’s a difference between incompetent and flat out dodgy.
Been watching it all year, umpiring had one less and was better 20 years ago.

You’d have to be an incredible optimist to think that the AFL weren’t manipulating matches with umpires given what we’ve seen and all the other ways they do manipulate the game to achieve their desired outcomes.

Umpiring aside, I’m a little surprised there hasn’t been any discussion on the competitive balance paper written by Chris Fagan, and partially reported in the HS this week, on here.

I know it mostly deals with interstate teams making the GF, but it highlights more of the Vic bias in the competition.
The AFL extended the MCG grand final deal for 30 + years without even consulting clubs .

It is the biggest inequality in the whole afl when you finish higher then have to fly interstate to play a lower finishing opponent at their home ground .

If the AFL does that its clear they don't give a shit about equality

As much as i think essendon are a fake top 8 team. They really were fkd over by the umps and they directly swung momentum to geelong.

How incompetent has the umpiring been this season.

Think we need to add a fifth umpire to the mixer.🤮

I swear umpiring standards have dropped with the addition of a fourth umpire on the field.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I swear umpiring standards have dropped with the addition of a fourth umpire on the field.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Agree.

The 4th umpire was just not necessary or required and has added nothing to the game. Flow, consistency, ground coverage, decisions missed, wrong decisions made. Nothing has been improved by the addition of a 4th umpire.

So I'm with you. If we're going to spud up the game let's add another and do a really good job of effing it up more. In fact... no let's not even think about it.

hopefully Geel, Melb or Coll just win the flag again so the number of teams that have won a flag recently since ours stays the same. (obv won't be Richmond)

Or if it's Carton then we are still the last non Vic side to win it.

Couldn't really care less if Sydney win it for the non Vic aspect, DGAF about Swans. Same with other non vics

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Of course it has, and it shouldn't be unexpected either.

So many of the rules in the sport are interpretive - additional umpires naturally means additional interpretations, which equals inconsistency.

I think a way forward would be to have a lead umpire in charge of officiating the game, supported by secondary umpires who watch off the ball play and only intervene when there is something like a reportable incident that is unsighted by the lead umpire.

At least then there would only be a single set of interpretation that is applied during the match, which should provide a semblance of consistency during play.

Of course it has, and it shouldn't be unexpected either.

So many of the rules in the sport are interpretive - additional umpires naturally means additional interpretations, which equals inconsistency.

I think a way forward would be to have a lead umpire in charge of officiating the game, supported by secondary umpires who watch off the ball play and only intervene when there is something like a reportable incident that is unsighted by the lead umpire.

At least then there would only be a single set of interpretation that is applied during the match, which should provide a semblance of consistency during play.
How would that work realistically though when the ball moves a lot faster than someone can run? When the ball gets booted long how would the lead umpire get there in time to continue officiating?

I'm dying on the hill that the game should be officiated by someone in a box watching the broadcast with a direct line to the onfield umps' earpiece when there is a free kick.

How would that work realistically though when the ball moves a lot faster than someone can run? When the ball gets booted long how would the lead umpire get there in time to continue officiating?

I'm dying on the hill that the game should be officiated by someone in a box watching the broadcast with a direct line to the onfield umps' earpiece when there is a free kick.

You need one for each half imo. The boundary umpires should be able to notify the primary umpires of any off the ball incidents or blatantly obvious that the primary umpire doesn't have direct vision of. Nothing cheap but if it is blatant and the ump doesn't have vision have them in each others ear to help.

The more primary umpires you have the worse it gets as people have previously stated as it's all interpretation. The more opinions the worse the result. The other thing being is that we se soo much blatant stuff let go and so much minor stuff called. It is as though they are expecting another umpire to call the free kick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You’d have to be an incredible optimist to think that the AFL weren’t manipulating matches with umpires given what we’ve seen and all the other ways they do manipulate the game to achieve their desired outcomes.
No doubt. You can call it happening live from your own living room whenever a team gets a run-on or closes a significant gap. Suddenly, as if by magic, one side just cant buy a free kick whilst the other gets whistle after whistle blown in their favour.

And dont get me started on "not playing to the noise of affirmation".

Agree.

The 4th umpire was just not necessary or required and has added nothing to the game. Flow, consistency, ground coverage, decisions missed, wrong decisions made. Nothing has been improved by the addition of a 4th umpire.

So I'm with you. If we're going to spud up the game let's add another and do a really good job of effing it up more. In fact... no let's not even think about it.
The AfL directs umpires as to interpretations. The key driver is visuals and market acceptance on TV. The laws of the game are actually clear and offer very limited interpretation (prior opportunity is on and has in the past been clear). If 2 fit umpires were officiating and stuck to the applying the laws as written the game would be 50% better.

Bit of a weird one, how did you guys feel about Jaymie Graham being dropped for the grand final in 06 despite playing every other game that year? Was it accepted at the time as the right move to fit Wirrpanda back in the side or was there a feeling he was harshly done-by and deserved to play?

Bit of a weird one, how did you guys feel about Jaymie Graham being dropped for the grand final in 06 despite playing every other game that year? Was it accepted at the time as the right move to fit Wirrpanda back in the side or was there a feeling he was harshly done-by and deserved to play?
Harsh, but also made sense, we’d had a few injuries that year and finally got everyone fit for the final. Wirrpanda was a certainty to come in even if he was half fit. It was between him and Armstrong I think, but we had no small forward really. Seaby pretty lucky too in the end considering he barely got game time in the final. Graham also had a relatively poor game in the prelim, wasn’t great timing. Staker was also really unlucky playing most of the season and Rosa was dropped after being near bog in the semi.

He was considered super unlucky, but everyone felt that Wirra was too good to leave out.

If any player deserved a Premiership medal despite not playing on the day, it's Jay-Grae.

Good to see the hotels in Adelaide looking after the patrons by jacking up their prices for gather round

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Just like Victorian hotels and the airlines have been doing for the GF for years. Would be nice if some sort of corporate watch-dog could step in and do something about it.

*inb4sweetsummerchild

Remove this Banner Ad

Back