Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do people think of Sam Darcy?
I’m not seeing the hype so far TBH. Have watched 3 or 4 games of him. There is something a bit passive about how he plays. I know he’s still a kid and I’m sure he’ll be a very good player in time but I’ve seen him talked up to be a future generational superstar (Kane corned was the latest during the week) and I’m not so sure.
The likes of JHF on the other hand has that raw aggression that you like to see at the same age as Darcy.

The raw materials he has mean he's going to be an absolute monster, but he'll have to beat the Jack Watts high-profile-top-10-KPF-at-Melbourne-club syndrome while getting there.

The Dogs bizarre selection approach to tall timber probably isn't going to be much help.

I wouldn't want to be playing GWS next weekend off this. They are going to get baked all week in the media about not playing hard enough. They'll be handing out corkies next week like a girl guide with a thick accent and no understanding of fund-raising.

Especially if it's a bit wet.

They'll be labelled soft all week and come put breathing fire. Remember how it used to happen with Richmond when they would be rubbish all season then the week before they play us they get the bright lights in their face and all over the newspaper, playing against us like a different team.
That’s good because they play West Coast don’t they?

GWS bottom 4?

Adelaide won’t be bottom 4 this year

Honestly can’t see how anyone had Adelaide bottom four to begin with.

What I also can’t fathom is how Richmond can be premiership contenders by recruiting two ‘gun’ midfielders yet GWS will improve without them. GWS are like Carlton - a very good 10-12 players but will have a bottom six as bad as any team in the league. Thing is I think Carlton’s top 10-12 are better and more evenly spread across the field. For me both Taranto and Hopper are solid midfielders rather than guns too - Richmond’s ageing core will be on the decline at the same time. Won’t improve much imo.

Honestly can’t see how anyone had Adelaide bottom four to begin with.

What I also can’t fathom is how Richmond can be premiership contenders by recruiting two ‘gun’ midfielders yet GWS will improve without them. GWS are like Carlton - a very good 10-12 players but will have a bottom six as bad as any team in the league. Thing is I think Carlton’s top 10-12 are better and more evenly spread across the field. For me both Taranto and Hopper are solid midfielders rather than guns too - Richmond’s ageing core will be on the decline at the same time. Won’t improve much imo.
Fremantle get worse because Lobb left yet nobody thinks Dogs are getting noticeably better because Lobb came in.

Agreed and I hope AFL do what’s right but they rarely do particularly when it’s a valued player.
If Pickett was even remotely going for the ball then it could be downgraded, but he wasn’t .
So to me it ticks all the boxes of intentional, high contact = 3+ weeks minimum. 8+ if Smith was concussed.

I reckon he gets 2
How ridiculous that Cripps jumps into a player and wins a Brownlow?
I wonder if this will be the case to use this, and try to get Pickett off.
No concussion is his only saving grace.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With all these hits this week, and purely coincidence that it's all Indigenous men facing the music, but it reminds me of that moment where our Johnno had the very edge of his bum clip Frankin and was banned for a month.

These hits this week would be huge suspensions in that era, somewhere it's fallen away.

Jacob Wehr took a massive hit to the head. With all the education around conclusion / delayed onset concussion and head knocks in general if he passes all the best practice protocols/ concussion tests and continues to play who takes on the risk?

The club?
The doctor?
The player?

Jacob Wehr took a massive hit to the head. With all the education around conclusion / delayed onset concussion and head knocks in general if he passes all the best practice protocols/ concussion tests and continues to play who takes on the risk?

The club?
The doctor?
The player?

All 3 you would assume.

I always go back to something Xavier Ellis said. He said he copped a massive hit that broke his jaw that didn't concuss him. Yet he copped a small hit that would barely bruise a fly that did cause a concussion. Just because someone cops a big hit it doesn't automatically mean they are concussed.

All 3 you would assume.

I always go back to something Xavier Ellis said. He said he copped a massive hit that broke his jaw that didn't concuss him. Yet he copped a small hit that would barely bruise a fly that did cause a concussion. Just because someone cops a big hit it doesn't automatically mean they are concussed.
I think we will see blue cards become a thing at the top level soon.

Big hit that's dirty means the player hit goes off and so does the player who hit him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back