Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ban the bump.

Its that simple.

Sick of watching TV talking heads crying out "we don't want that kind of hit in the game" and "the optics are bad". Then in the next episode saying "you can't ban the bump entirely ... its part of the game".

You can't expect a professional athlete to be able to distinguish the "optics" in the middle of competition.

If you don't want an action just ban it totally.

So they can continue to let off Victorian "good blokes"

Ban the bump.

Its that simple.

Sick of watching TV talking heads crying out "we don't want that kind of hit in the game" and "the optics are bad". Then in the next episode saying "you can't ban the bump entirely ... its part of the game".

You can't expect a professional athlete to be able to distinguish the "optics" in the middle of competition.

If you don't want an action just ban it totally.

We don't want those kinds of bumps. The bump Treacy put on early in the game yesterday was perfect. You can't ban that. Launching yourself off the ground targeting an opponent like Pickett and McAdam is not on. Nor is Buddy running passed the ball and bumping Collins in the head. Those are conscious decisions to deliberately hurt a player. All 3 were dog acts that could have easily been avoided. Buddy in particular has a lot of prior form for doing that shit so any argument to try and make a case that it was not deliberate is null and void.

We don't want those kinds of bumps. The bump Treacy put on early in the game yesterday was perfect. You can't ban that. Launching yourself off the ground targeting an opponent like Pickett and McAdam is not on. Nor is Buddy running passed the ball and bumping Collins in the head. Those are conscious decisions to deliberately hurt a player. All 3 were dog acts that could have easily been avoided. Buddy in particular has a lot of prior form for doing that s**t so any argument to try and make a case that it was not deliberate is null and void.
I have no idea how the MRO sits there and classifies all 3 as careless.

How on earth can anyone say that? All 3 were intentional.

The bump is dead….
All of the shirt fronts dealt out this week, were by indigenous West Australians - receiving suspensions and tribunal visit - we play the game a little tougher over here…
A couple of weeks off for:
  • Buddy
  • Kozzie
  • McAdam

I played a lot of footy over here and I thought all of them would have been considered dirty when I played. Buddy has been getting away with snipey stuff for ages. The others were outright dirty, dangerous play. Pickett launched himself in an upwards trajectory. It should have been 4-6 no matter the outcome of the hit.

If they end up cracking down, the AFL's flavour-of-the-month, "police are now targeting X" style enforcement (e.g. Ginnivan ducking last year) means accidental contact like Hughes on Webster yesterday will end up being a soft fine or one game ban.

Can anyone tell me how Pickett's was 2 weeks and McAdams is straight to tribunal?

The uproar over Pickett and Buddy meant the MRO couldn't be ****ed and decided to let someone else handle it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How long till they all wear helmets ( Angus Brayshaw style)
I reckon within 10 years
I wouldn’t have a problem with it if it keeps the game physical

I reckon within 10 years
It doesn't really make much difference.

Research done says headgears don't make too much difference to concussion.

I reckon within 10 years

Freo are way ahead of the curve in the fight against the scourge of concussions in sport

Judging by the weekend we have already removed all our players brains 🧠

Cutting edge baby

It doesn't really make much difference.

Research done says headgears don't make too much difference to concussion.

Fair enough but it might be the AFLs only option to cover their players liability insurance if that’s what it comes too .

I do think that penalties should be harsher ( 8-10 weeks and 3 strikes you’re out for good ) particularly on anyone who is seen as not attempting to go for the ball and causing a serious collision

Either that or turn the game into soccer

Fair enough but it might be the AFLs only option to cover their players liability insurance if that’s what it comes too .

I do think that penalties should be harsher ( 8-10 weeks and 3 strikes you’re out for good ) particularly on anyone who is seen as not attempting to go for the ball and causing a serious collision

I don’t think the legal issues are due to players getting concussed, it’s more to do around negligence in not doing a concussion test every time e.g Smith, cutting corners and having a shorter than recommended time off (12 days is made up by them to look good but someone can play two weeks later and get concussed again still)

I reckon within 10 years
Helmets have worked out amazingly well with American football. They havethe same issues as the AFL, even with cricket style helmets.

Gee whizz, I could name a player that we would not have seen on the weekend with that type of penalty.;););)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back