Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2022, part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put it in perspective.
He was pick 60 in the draft.
Not a supremely gifted player. Played 41 games for our club. Very few play more than a handful from that deep in the draft.
And still, his lasting contribution to our club amounted to a lot more than what he did on the field.
If that's what someone's footy career amounts to, let's just acknowledge it for what it is. Not speculate about their fitness being the reason he wasn't given another go.
He has tricks though that men would kill to have.

Found this an interesting read. If the then VFL had played its cards right back then, Aussie rules football could be popular in the US now....

Hmmm, will have to digest that one later.

At this point, I just think the US sports entertainment market is saturated. Our legacy of focusing on non-professional sports (NCAA, even high school in more rural areas) means that the broadcast TV schedule is pretty much filled. Things have changed with IP TV and streaming, but soccer still lags woefully behind our big 4 TV sports (gridiron football, baseball, basketball, hockey).

We even have some semi professional rugby leagues trying to get attention now, online only from what I can tell (ESPN+).

I'll still buy my international GFC membership every year, love that WatchAFL.

I love in this era ..everyone has their own truth ... as if no one is ever wrong ..its just that truth is relevant to their opinion...

TC ... truth on free agency.. seems convenient.

He is unhappy that he lost Lynch... seems to reference that Rich lost their R1 ... which had nothing to do with FA.. but he received a P3 for a player who had given the Suns 8 years service, and he seems to have forgotten that his side last year.. had Casbolt and Chol playing over 20 games each ... both gained thru FA .

“THE TRUTH OF THE MATTER”: OUTGOING SUNS CHAIRMAN’S FRANK VIEW OF AFL FREE AGENCY​

Outgoing Gold Coast chairman Tony Cochrane believes the AFL has to change the rules around free agency.

The Suns lost their captain and star forward Tom Lynch to Richmond at the end of 2018 after the Tigers had won a premiership (2017) and then played in a prelim final.

Gold Coast received pick 3 in that year’s draft as compensation after Lynch spent eight years in Suns colours.

In recent years, clubs closer to the top of the ladder have been the beneficiaries of free agency with quality players often opting to move to a team inside or near a premiership window.

As he gets set to depart his post at the Suns, Cochrane implored the AFL to make the rule fairer for all clubs, particularly those closer to the bottom.

I love in this era ..everyone has their own truth ... as if no one is ever wrong ..its just that truth is relevant to their opinion...

TC ... truth on free agency.. seems convenient.

He is unhappy that he lost Lynch... seems to reference that Rich lost their R1 ... which had nothing to do with FA.. but he received a P3 for a player who had given the Suns 8 years service, and he seems to have forgotten that his side last year.. had Casbolt and Chol playing over 20 games each ... both gained thru FA .

“THE TRUTH OF THE MATTER”: OUTGOING SUNS CHAIRMAN’S FRANK VIEW OF AFL FREE AGENCY​

Outgoing Gold Coast chairman Tony Cochrane believes the AFL has to change the rules around free agency.

The Suns lost their captain and star forward Tom Lynch to Richmond at the end of 2018 after the Tigers had won a premiership (2017) and then played in a prelim final.

Gold Coast received pick 3 in that year’s draft as compensation after Lynch spent eight years in Suns colours.

In recent years, clubs closer to the top of the ladder have been the beneficiaries of free agency with quality players often opting to move to a team inside or near a premiership window.

As he gets set to depart his post at the Suns, Cochrane implored the AFL to make the rule fairer for all clubs, particularly those closer to the bottom.
1676418738288.png

Players they got as free agents when they came into the league. They got THE BEST MIDFIELDER not only in the comp at the time, but one of the best of all time, and what was our compensation?

GC weren't complaining then about FA when they got Ablett. STFU Cochrane.

I think Cochrane's done a solid job. When he talks he gets attention far more than his role should receive.

He advocates for GC, in his role consistency is irrelevant.

View attachment 1607578

Players they got as free agents when they came into the league. They got THE BEST MIDFIELDER not only in the comp at the time, but one of the best of all time, and what was our compensation?

GC weren't complaining then about FA when they got Ablett. STFU Cochrane.

True but I was willing to give them a pass on setup arrangements.. Although we actually got little for Ablett we probably got more than any Free Agent comp would deliver ..in theory. What we did with it was average. Free Agency was not even in when we lost GA...

but they have hardly been on a one way street with Free Agency ... Ellis has played over 50 games for them ..and they got him as a Free Agent. It would be interesting to see who really has got the most benefit as far as games go.

I can't stand him but i see where he is coming from as very few if any big named FA players will ever go to a bottom 4-6 side that has no hope of finals for 3+ years.

Which means only the contending clubs will get the Lynch type FA as they are in contention.

Cochrane also conveniently omits that Lynch was an RFA not a FA. We were held to a trade by GWS for Cameron and had to pay up for him. Its not everyone elses fault that GC bitched out and didn't hold Richmond to a trade where they maybe get some young players and picks if they were worried about compo. Or force Richmond to do deals to get picks to satisfy them.

No sympathy for GC, basket case club run by ****ing idiots and wouldn't shed a tear if they just ended this failed project and started again in the NT.

The only reason GC have any relevance is because they are our feeder club.

And this has absolutely nothing to do with the upcoming AFL season, but all about bragging rights of being the last football team standing...

Chief has started an Footy Survivor comp - which team will outlast the rest

Once per hour you can +1 vote a team (Geelong...) and then you also -1 vote a team of your choice - sorry but no down voting Richmond as they're already eliminated, along with North & Port

Full info here - Link

Current score line:

Adelaide - 33
Brisbane - 18
Carlton - 31
Collingwood - 18
Essendon - 27
Fremantle - 23
Geelong - 43
Gold Coast - 23
GWS - 21
Hawthorn - 9
Melbourne - 20
St Kilda - 18
Sydney - 32
West coast - 24
Bulldogs - 19

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gee the Gaints are really drinking the koolaid internally on him, aren't they?

From the outside, I've always seen him as a pretty good player, and an absolute knobhead who bends the rules, takes cheap shots and shirt-fronts umpires. Don't reckon it says much good about them as a club. I'll take the likes of Harley, Ling and Selwood, thanks.

From the outside, I've always seen him as a pretty good player, and an absolute knobhead who bends the rules, takes cheap shots and shirt-fronts umpires. Don't reckon it says much good about them as a club. I'll take the likes of Harley, Ling and Selwood, thanks.
You can just hear the fawning media narrative already, though. This'll be the 'making of him'. He's going to rise to the occasion and suddenly embrace a level of maturity he's never shown consistently in his entire career. Despite the fact he's already 29, going into his twelfth season, and has 22 charges and six suspensions across his time in the game.

#youknowitmakessense

Put it in perspective.
He was pick 60 in the draft.
Not a supremely gifted player. Played 41 games for our club. Very few play more than a handful from that deep in the draft.
Maybe this was one of his problems in terms of how he was 'rated' down at the Cattery. Because this has simply not been as true at our club as it might have been in plenty of other environments.

We currently have a bunch of players on our list who were all drafted 'after pick 60' that are carving out really meaningful careers at AFL level.

Jed Bews (premiership player)
Sam Menegola (over 100 games in the hoops)
Tom Atkins (premiership player)
Jack Henry (premiership player)
Zach Guthrie (premiership player)
Mark O'Connor (premiership player)
Brad Close (premiership player)
Mark Blicavs (premiership player, 2x Carji winner, AA)

And that list doesn't even include:

Oliver Dempsey (who will play stacks of senior games over his career, given a decent run without injury)
Gryan Miers (premiership player, taken at a 'comparable' pick 57)
Sam Simpson (who could well have already surpassed 50 senior games, if not for all the injury issues)

Yes, he well and truly exceeded the mean for players taken around pick 60 over the history of the draft. But he certainly didn't overachieve on that metric when compared to a bunch of players taken later than him at the Cattery over recent years.

Last edited:

On his day he is better than "pretty good" his best rips games apart in the same manner, albeit on a lower level, that Stevie J did.

The kicker is that his worst day is soooooo bad, it ends with nothing on the scoreboard before he gets suspended or injures himself.

I’d find a spot for him in our team.

Absolutely delighted that he'll never be donning the hoops. I get that he can really play. But that level of volatile and erratic just couldn't possibly be welcome at our club right now.

He's just about the dictionary definition of 'the player every opposition team fears'. As well as the quintessential example of 'the accident waiting to happen'.

So it would always be a hard pass for mine.

We’ve just had the ultimate success and look well placed to go deep again this year…. And sans a green type persona on the list…

Don’t think we need to start adding them now.

Go Catters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back