Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I really like this and have been thinking about it for much of the week. I must admit I have some of my own thoughts without necessarily being sold one way or the other.

Dogs v Dees - Think I'm on the Dees here. Want to see the Dogs revert to their consistent inconsistency. Also relieves a bit of immediate pressure on our ladder position.

Cats v Crows will be a boring game I think, Crows no chance you'd think but would be nice to be wrong on that.

Port v Swans yeah I kind of see your point, but also I'm thinking if Port get up, then it means last Sunday's game was perhaps more about Sydney falling away a bit than the Bulldogs going up a cog. Plus, if the Swans do somehow lose 2 more games it means our top 2 destiny is in our own hands without even needing to worry about Freo's percentage.

Pies v Blues - yeah I think I'm marginally leaning towards the Pies here. If they could somehow find some of their form maybe they're a chance to go up to Sydney and knock the Swans off as well. If we're good enough we still beat them at the MCG in Round 23 no matter what kind of form they're in and what they have to play for. Also the way Carlton have been going of late, a Collingwood win here won't necessarily mean they're back in form.

Giants v Hawks - Probably favouring the Hawks here, just due to the respective ladder positions. But only slightly given everything you've posted.

Bombers v Freo - Absolutely on the Essendon bandwagon here, but yeah a loss makes it more likely they're cooked by the time they fly up to play us. They'll lose this by 10 goals anyway so whatevs 🤷

Being the last game of the round sucks a bit... Maybe I'd have a different viewpoint of these games if I knew we'd won or lost!
The drop off in the Swans form has been alarming enough for me to wonder whether they had wings on their own adrenalin for most of the year and now that they're being found out they just can't summon up the energy and super confidence which is what got them where they are.

This year is wide open for anyone in the 8 who hits form and gets home games on the right side of the draw.

AFL just has to do one or the other -
1. Tell players they'll pay frees against players initiating head high contact
2. Or if you get a head high contact free, you'll be off the ground for HIA. Suit yourself.
The rule I would probably add would say:

If a player in possession of the ball, chooses to use an arm (eg by removing it from holding the ball) to alter a tackle rather then dispose of the ball, will be adjudicated as having prior opportunity and cannot receive a high tackle free kick.

It's too wordy for my like, but something around "you move your arm off the ball to try to get a high tackle, bad luck for you".

I'm also talking about the really.blatant uppercuts here, the weight man's and ginnivans of the world.

The rule I would probably add would say:

If a player in possession of the ball, chooses to use an arm (eg by removing it from holding the ball) to alter a tackle rather then dispose of the ball, will be adjudicated as having prior opportunity and cannot receive a high tackle free kick.

It's too wordy for my like, but something around "you move your arm off the ball to try to get a high tackle, bad luck for you".

I'm also talking about the really.blatant uppercuts here, the weight man's and ginnivans of the world.
Just say any player who raises either arm (or any part thereof) above shoulder height is deemed to have had prior opportunity and also forgoes the right to be awarded a free kick for high contact.

Just say any player who raises either arm (or any part thereof) above shoulder height is deemed to have had prior opportunity and also forgoes the right to be awarded a free kick for high contact.
From the human that wants to remove prior opportunity? I am surprised you would consider such a change!

But in seriousness that's IN MY OPINION too much grey area. I'm personally not trying to block out the "I shrug and you get me high", I'm trying to outlaw the "I uppercut you, now I get a high free kick".

From the human that wants to remove prior opportunity? I am surprised you would consider such a change!
You have to crawl before you walk.

Eventually the rule will be much simpler:

Any player who raises either arm (or any part thereof) above the shoulder forgoes the right to be awarded a free kick for high contact.

Everyone jumping on the dogs is hilarious. It’s the same old dogs. Good average team like every year. They will be horrendously bad again within 2 weeks.

Everyone jumping on the dogs is hilarious. It’s the same old dogs. Good average team like every year. They will be horrendously bad again within 2 weeks.

Not according to the stats. Like us, they were in the window early in the year just not winning. They are where they should be.

I’ve got a pretty clear top 5 right now with GWS now far behind if they can flick the switch.

1. Brisbane
2. Footscray
3. Hawthorn
4. Fremantle
5. Sydney
Not a fan of that.

So the teams winning a few games now still 6 weeks before the first final are the top 5 teams.

We need to keep winning and then reset when the finals start. A long way to go.

When the teams run out for the first final it's a new season.

I for one hope the Hawks bubble is burst and they miss the finals. The attention they're getting is way over the top and this fanaticism by the media with there goal celebrations and carry is on embarrassing. I'm told it's the way of the world. I'm over the likes of Ginnivan and Watson and CJ and the bloke with the rats tail. Yes they have some nice players, but here's hoping the Giants and Blues snuff out any hope they have of making the finals because they'll win there last two games against Richmond and North.

I for one hope the Hawks bubble is burst and they miss the finals. The attention they're getting is way over the top and this fanaticism by the media with there goal celebrations and carry is on embarrassing. I'm told it's the way of the world. I'm over the likes of Ginnivan and Watson and CJ and the bloke with the rats tail. Yes they have some nice players, but here's hoping the Giants and Blues snuff out any hope they have of making the finals because they'll win there last two games against Richmond and North.
I don't particularly rate them this year even though they're having a golden run at the moment.

But they're putting together the nucleus of a good team over the next few years.

They need to win one of the next 2 and they should sneak in with no cough ups in the last 2 games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't particularly rate them this year even though they're having a golden run at the moment.

But they're putting together the nucleus of a good team over the next few years.
Same. If they get Barrass and Battle, that's a scary team next year.

The Hawks looked scary good when we went down for that game earlier in the year.

I don't expect them to be a Grand Final team just yet though.

As of right now I would have any of Swans, Lions, Dockers, Bulldogs, Giants as potential Premiers... also think the Blues, Cats and Port are not flag material.

I wouldn't write off Blues or Cats myself. Especially if they get to the grand final, home state/ground advantage is pretty strong. Cats seem a little below the required standard but if the Blues can get their best players back they will be a force.

I wouldn't write off Blues or Cats myself. Especially if they get to the grand final, home state/ground advantage is pretty strong. Cats seem a little below the required standard but if the Blues can get their best players back they will be a force.
The one thing the Cats are still doing almost weekly is 'managing' their more mature players. Sure they've dropped the odd game but no doubt they'll be cherry ripe come September. We haven't had the luxury to obviously do this, with this exception of McKenna so I hope we don't burn it, which on face value, touch wood, we dont seem to be doing.

Fox sports reporting that Shai Bolton wants a trade back to Western Australia, not OOC until end of 2028, only 25 years old and a hell of a player when in form.

What would he be worth on the trade table?

As it stands now the Dockers have selections 7, 12, 16 and 25 in this years draft... the Eagles have 3, 23 and 59.

Fox sports reporting that Shai Bolton wants a trade back to Western Australia, not OOC until end of 2028, only 25 years old and a hell of a player when in form.

As it stands now the Dockers have selections 7, 12, 16 and 25 in this years draft... the Eagles have 3, 23 and 59.

What is the tigers draft hand currently?

If I'm Richmond I'm asking for 7 and 12.

Would be stupid to let him go

Remove this Banner Ad

Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back