Opinion North Melbourne Priority Picks Part 2 - 2023/2024

Remove this Banner Ad

North got PPs for this 2024. Draft.

They traded them.

So no more handouts this year.

Get over it, take the massive welfare handouts and develop the team you have.
Those picks would have been taken off us if we had a solid season this year, which with how the afl is probably would have been if we finished 14th for example. we’re not the Gold Coast that can keep theirs after finishing 10th. Learn your facts

This will be the last of the truly horrendous years for North in my opinion.

5-6 wins next year and the risk is to the upside. McKercher will be a gun.
McKercher will be a gun but probably for Tassie. That is a real risk for North, a lot of their young talent will be moving towards their prime right when Tassie comes with big offers.

On SM-A136B using BigFooty.com mobile app

This will be the last of the truly horrendous years for North in my opinion.

5-6 wins next year and the risk is to the upside. McKercher will be a gun.
2-5 wins depending on the fixture. Next year is another horror show for wins imo, even if more than two first choice talls are available for more than a handful of games.
It was basically Larkey and Corr, and an assortment of third-teamers for much of the year. Get any of Comben, Logue, even CCJ who is probably not first-team now, there in addition and it looks a bit better than playing Pink much of the time with major percentage on the field (a few games as filler with limited on field time seems his limit).
Dawson needs a year or two more of playing VFL and occasional bit-part AFL before he can be judged.
The injury list wasn't huge, but long term ones were very concentrated in already weaker areas. So, another hard pre-season and this year's development should see better performance across next year.

Not "win games" better, or much better for the conditions yesterday. We're a long, long way off breaking out of the bottom few. Next year is another development year, and early spoon favourtism depending on the trade period.

McKercher will be a gun but probably for Tassie. That is a real risk for North, a lot of their young talent will be moving towards their prime right when Tassie comes with big offers.

On SM-A136B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not much chance our players will leave for Tassie. Possibly Mckercher, but even that I doubt. We will be entering our window around that time. Who would want to go through a rebuild and then go start another rebuild at another club? Money talks, but North will be able to lock players down long term on big money as well.

I also don’t get the narrative that players will leave North. We have been crap for 5-6 years and we have lost one elite young talent during that time. Every year a exodus is predicted and 1 player has left. GWS and GC came along and we lost no one over that time.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Didn’t they get gifted valuable first rounders this year and cough them up for Dylan’s Stephens and Zac Fisher?

Didn’t they get gifted valuable first rounders this year and cough them up for Dylan’s Stephens and Zac Fisher?
look it up hasan minhaj GIF by Patriot Act

Yes, because the AFL said if we improve, they will take them off us unless we trade them.

Obviously, the club severely overrated our list and potential.

Don't worry too much though mate, you can rest easy with thoughts of Deledio and Rance and how you deserved priority picks as dA RulEZ WAs DifFeRENt!

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes, because the AFL said if we improve, they will take them off us unless we trade them.

Don't worry too much though mate, you can rest easy with thoughts of Deledio and Rance and how you deserved priority picks as dA RulEZ WAs DifFeRENt!

The point is, you already got compensation for this year's... performance. Draft picks aren't an instance fix, so there's no way you should get more.

Question on their priority picks, was the assumption that if North improved, the picks would be removed?

If so, was there equally the assumption that if they got worse, the picks would be upgraded?
Interesting points.

Don't think anyone was expecting them to actually be worse, yet here we are.

Had enough help though. If they can't dig themselves out of this, despite all the top draft picks they've had + master coach Clarkson, they never will.

Not sure why you are bring up picks from the early 2000s from my club.
I just mentioned how you got some great compo in this years draft and what you used it on.

Not sure why you are bring up picks from the early 2000s from my club.
I just mentioned how you got some great compo in this years draft and what you used it on.
Might have had something to do with 'valuable 1st rounders that they traded for Cat Stephens and Fisher'

Turned out they weren't so valuable as they came with caveats like most of the other picks we got as priority selections.

I could have brought up your other top 3 pick from 1993, but you know, those were different times, and Richmond must have desperately needed them compared to a 15/100 NM team, lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

[
Might have had something to do with 'valuable 1st rounders that they traded for Cat Stephens and Fisher'

Turned out they weren't so valuable as they came with caveats like most of the other picks we got as priority selections.

I could have brought up your other top 3 pick from 1993, but you know, those were different times, and Richmond must have desperately needed them compared to a 15/100 NM team, lol

There’s caveats on picks. Then there’s using 2 first rounders in one of the deepest quality drafts in memory to pick up Dylan Stephens and Zac Fisher and put them on 4 and 5 year contracts respectively.

[
There’s caveats on picks. Then there’s using 2 first rounders in one of the deepest quality drafts in memory to pick up Dylan Stephens and Zac Fisher and put them on 4 and 5 year contracts respectively.
Yeah, it's ****ing idiotic.

There are no arguments there.

Realistically, though, we are the worst team in VFL/AFL history now - just 15 wins in 5 seasons. We are even worse than University and Fitzroy just before they were folded up.

There isn't much room for movement now, so I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with the same fate as the aforementioned.

It is what it is.

Interesting points.

Don't think anyone was expecting them to actually be worse, yet here we are.

Had enough help though. If they can't dig themselves out of this, despite all the top draft picks they've had + master coach Clarkson, they never will.
I was expecting us to be worse and said so all pre-season. We didn't draft for immediate success, but for the long-term. McKercher, Duursma, Hardeman and Dawson all had a taste, but will take time.

At the same time, we lost a ton of experience - Ziebell, Goldstein, Hall, Cunnington - and went in far younger (I saw a stat that we had the highest number of minutes played by under 22s this season).

That said, if we didn't shit the bed a couple of times, we'd have won five games, and can you imagine the uproar if a young team won five games and then went into the draft with two extra first-rounders?

I was expecting us to be worse and said so all pre-season. We didn't draft for immediate success, but for the long-term. McKercher, Duursma, Hardeman and Dawson all had a taste, but will take time.

At the same time, we lost a ton of experience - Ziebell, Goldstein, Hall, Cunnington - and went in far younger (I saw a stat that we had the highest number of minutes played by under 22s this season).

That said, if we didn't shit the bed a couple of times, we'd have won five games, and can you imagine the uproar if a young team won five games and then went into the draft with two extra first-rounders?
There wouldn't have been an uproar, because that's probably what the AFL expected North to win.

Instead, they won the same and regressed in percentage.

Of those players you lost, none of them were particularly important contributors last season and you already have enough experience on all lines to not have those blokes keeping younger kids out.

I certainly get the rationale behind trading those picks last year, as I think most pundits(myself included) expected a better performance this season.

It's probably what they were traded for that's the point of concern.

Question on their priority picks, was the assumption that if North improved, the picks would be removed?

If so, was there equally the assumption that if they got worse, the picks would be upgraded?
It was just a threat that they could be removed. The AFL wanted them to trade them in the hope of immediate improvement. It makes sense from the AFL as draft picks take too long to mature unless you get lucky with the really top end ones.

[
Yes, and yet we were told we had to trade them or they would be reviewed, but Gold Coast were allowed their compensation pick in 2021 (2 years after their golden package) after finishing 13th or 14th and having to salary dump trade it to Fremantle with Will Brodie

Depends on you definition of " first rounders" call me old fashioned but I prefer my first rounder to fall in the first round, somewhere between picks 1-18. Once we have a 19th side it will be 1-19. Which is of course the first round. Once you go beyond that it is the second round.
Bit like North getting Ports first pick for JHFF and it becoming pick 20. That isn't a first rounder, never will be, well I hope.
I think the AFL have done a marvelous job of pulling the wool over the average fans eyes.

We took the below picks to the draft. I've been against plenty that we've done, but felt it fair enough for us to try and improve with some senior talent.

1725933108042.png

Fisher cops a lot of shit on our board some of it justified, while others that cost more and have delivered less are given excuses as long as your arm.

Depends on you definition of " first rounders" call me old fashioned but I prefer my first rounder to fall in the first round, somewhere between picks 1-18. Once we have a 19th side it will be 1-19. Which is of course the first round. Once you go beyond that it is the second round.
Bit like North getting Ports first pick for JHFF and it becoming pick 20. That isn't a first rounder, never will be, well I hope.
I think the AFL have done a marvelous job of pulling the wool over the average fans eyes.

We took the below picks to the draft. I've been against plenty that we've done, but felt it fair enough for us to try and improve with some senior talent.

View attachment 2106635

Fisher cops a lot of shit on our board some of it justified, while others that cost more and have delivered less are given excuses as long as your arm.
There would be a few clubs loving to have those end of first rounders this season, especially for talls.

Whitlock, Faull, Mrat and Sims all should be around the mark.

Those picks would have been taken off us if we had a solid season this year, which with how the afl is probably would have been if we finished 14th for example. we’re not the Gold Coast that can keep theirs after finishing 10th. Learn your facts

What facts are you referring to here exactly?

Probably the AFL would have reversed the picks?

Probably isn't a fact.

There would be a few clubs loving to have those end of first rounders this season, especially for talls.

Whitlock, Faull, Mrat and Sims all should be around the mark.

I'm sure they would and we do have an early second, and we did draft 2 talls last year, Dawson 200cm and Goad 207cm. Dawson looks very promising managed 3 games and is still 18.
And Goad is rated, but will take 2/3 years to start to have an impact. Was that the correct call, who knows and time will tell.

Also Comben who I rate, should go fwd where he belongs for season 2025.

It isn't as poor as some think.

After 7 seasons of McKay maybe it has left me easily pleased. Another we missed all year is the big bodied Logue, not concerned on how others view him, but he will stiffen us up.

Dawson 201cm - 3 games 2024
Logue 194cm - 2 games 2024
Comben 199cm - 19 games 2024
Goad 207cm- 0 games 2024
Finnbar 198cm - 0 games on 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion North Melbourne Priority Picks Part 2 - 2023/2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back