Northern FL Division 3 - 2011 Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Division 3 – End of Season Review

South Morang
Ladder: 1st // 14 wins // 2 losses // 157.76 % // 87.50 Win%
Leading Goal kicker: Shane Whitnall – 36 goals.
Review: Well, what a turnaround for the Lions. They were the equal worst team in Division 3 in 2010 with just 2 wins, now outright top of the ladder in 2011 with just 2 losses. I haven’t seen them play much this year but I gather that there was a major change in attitude this year. New players and a fresh start and the Lions have dominated the season. There only blemishes were a tight loss to St.Marys in Round 1, and another close loss in Round 15 to the Redbacks. Although they finished top I would say they start as warm favourites for the Premiership. Anything can happen though! Troy Jinnette has been a consistently good player all year while Jason Ward and Matt Manning have featured in the best on a regular basis. I’m tipping the Lions to make the Grand Final with a win this week.

Parkside
Ladder: 2nd // 11 wins // 5 losses // 143.10 % // 68.75 Win%
Leading Goal kicker: Dallas King – 60 goals (Also competition Goal Kicking winner)
Review: Another solid season by the Red Devils. A few slip-ups and a couple of perhaps confidence dashing losses to the Lions mean Parkside will start as outside favourites going into Saturdays clash but will no doubt be ready to go! Dallas King again proved why he is one of the best players in Division 3, while Brad Hockey and the Gresham brothers have been fantastic (Once again). The biggest concern is the injuries to key players (i.e. Ross, Wise and Bennett). This will no doubt hinder the opportunity that the Red Devils have of going all the way in 2011. That being said, their team is full of experienced heads that have played finals footy the last 2 years, something that South Morang may lack. A loss this week would mean the Devils would face a sudden-death elimination final against Panton Hill or St.Marys, both worthy opponents.

St Marys
Ladder: 3rd // 11 wins // 5 losses // 123.02 % // 86.75 Win%
Leading Goal kicker: Matthew Patti – 35 goals.
Review: Another feel good story is the Burra. Last in 2010 (although having shown consistent improvement), now playing finals in just their second year of existence. St.Marys has shown that they can mix it with the big boys, but will have to bring their A-game come finals time. No player has featured in the best more than 6 times which indicates the Burra do not rely on great performances week in week out from an individual/s. Geoffrey Robinson, Matt Patti and Coby Shulz appeared in the best players regularly but a complete team performance is what is needed from the Burra in all finals games should they have any chance of claiming the ultimate glory.

Panton Hill
Ladder: 4th // 9 wins // 7 losses // 122.48 % // 56.35 Win%
Leading Goal kicker: Brendan O’Connor - 40 goals.
Review: An up and down season for the Redbacks, and certainly (one would think) not the end result they were striving for. None the less, they are still in finals and at full strength can without a doubt beat any opposition. Tristan Kreymborg has stood out and has made his presence felt this year in D3. Will Box again performed consistently and with the help of Joffa Byron and Brendan O’Connor, this team has the make-up of a premiership calibre outfit. That being said, the Redbacks have not played consistent footy in 2011 (injuries have not helped) and perhaps the wide open spaces of Epping Recreational Reserve will play against the Redbacks, who are used to the confined, inside, tough footy at Cracknell Reserve. All these questions will be answered in 3 weeks however. I’m tipping if the Redbacks can be fit and firing, then look out South Morang!

Reservoir
Ladder: 5th // 8 wins // 8 losses // 107.01 % // 50.00 Win%
Leading Goal kicker: Nicholas Georgievski - 36 goals.
Review: Some would say a failed season for the Mustangs, they finished 2nd last year and wanted finals again this year, this has not happened. The Mustangs seemed to have lost the mojo they had in 2010 and produced unbelievable performances against some teams, but horrendous performances against others. It is not all doom and gloom for Reservoir. Impressive performances from 17-year-old Reece Miller are very promising while Corey McGregor, Ben Mowlam and Richie Collins all had solid seasons. I’m sure if the Mustangs can get their best team on the park next year and play consistently, then they should be back in the top 4.

Watsonia
Ladder: 6th // 2 wins // 14 losses // 54.11 % // 12.50 Win%
Leading Goal kicker: Allan Young - 29 goals.
Review: Disappointing season to say the least for Watsonia. The Saints barely bothered most of the top teams after coming down from Division 2. This season is perhaps the aftermath of the disastrous 2010 season. Losing their 2 best players from last year (Mark Ventura and Michael Ryan) did not help the Saints, who seemed to lack leadership out of the field. No doubt that blooding the kids will pay dividends if they can hold on to them, which I’m sure they can. All that aside, there were games that Wats’ can be proud of, they just need more of them! Paul McConnell and Eldon Abbott stood out for the Saints, while young big-man Matt Crawford is full of potential. Let’s hope Watsonia can dig themselves out of this hole and produce a better performance in 2012.

Heidelberg West
Ladder: 7th // 1 win // 15 losses // 46.87 % // 6.25 Win%
Leading Goal kicker: David Fowler - 19 goals.
Review: Not much to be said about the Hawks. Another tough season for West, as they were able to pick up 1 solitary win. Respectable performances against top teams and more impressive performances against Watsonia and Reservoir showed that there is a lot of character in this team. The loss of Bennett Osbourne and Aidan Young were obvious blows for Heidelberg West, but the inclusion of the Fonua boys, in particular Noa, who looks like he is hot favourite for Heidelberg West’s B’n’F. The future is uncertain for the Hawks, but let’s hopes, for their sake and the leagues sake, that we see Heidelberg West produce better results in 2012.

That’s all from me and good luck to all teams in finals this week!

South Morang
Review: Well, what a turnaround for the Lions. They were the equal worst team in Division 3 in 2010 with just 2 wins, now outright top of the ladder in 2011 with just 2 losses. I haven’t seen them play much this year but I gather that there was a major change in attitude this year. New players and a fresh start and the Lions have dominated the season. There only blemishes were a tight loss to St.Marys in Round 1, and another close loss in Round 15 to the Redbacks. Although they finished top I would say they start as warm favourites for the Premiership. Anything can happen though! Troy Jinnette has been a consistently good player all year while Jason Ward and Matt Manning have featured in the best on a regular basis. I’m tipping the Lions to make the Grand Final with a win this week.

Parkside
Leading Goal kicker: Dallas King – 60 goals (Also competition Goal Kicking winner)
Review: Another solid season by the Red Devils. A few slip-ups and a couple of perhaps confidence dashing losses to the Lions mean Parkside will start as outside favourites going into Saturdays clash but will no doubt be ready to go! Dallas King again proved why he is one of the best players in Division 3, while Brad Hockey and the Gresham brothers have been fantastic (Once again). The biggest concern is the injuries to key players (i.e. Ross, Wise and Bennett). This will no doubt hinder the opportunity that the Red Devils have of going all the way in 2011. That being said, their team is full of experienced heads that have played finals footy the last 2 years, something that South Morang may lack. A loss this week would mean the Devils would face a sudden-death elimination final against Panton Hill or St.Marys, both worthy opponents.

St Marys
Review: Another feel good story is the Burra. Last in 2010 (although having shown consistent improvement), now playing finals in just their second year of existence. St.Marys has shown that they can mix it with the big boys, but will have to bring their A-game come finals time. No player has featured in the best more than 6 times which indicates the Burra do not rely on great performances week in week out from an individual/s. Geoffrey Robinson, Matt Patti and Coby Shulz appeared in the best players regularly but a complete team performance is what is needed from the Burra in all finals games should they have any chance of claiming the ultimate glory.

Panton Hill
Review: An up and down season for the Redbacks, and certainly (one would think) not the end result they were striving for. None the less, they are still in finals and at full strength can without a doubt beat any opposition. Tristan Kreymborg has stood out and has made his presence felt this year in D3. Will Box again performed consistently and with the help of Joffa Byron and Brendan O’Connor, this team has the make-up of a premiership calibre outfit. That being said, the Redbacks have not played consistent footy in 2011 (injuries have not helped) and perhaps the wide open spaces of Epping Recreational Reserve will play against the Redbacks, who are used to the confined, inside, tough footy at Cracknell Reserve. All these questions will be answered in 3 weeks however. I’m tipping if the Redbacks can be fit and firing, then look out South Morang!

Reservoir
Review: Some would say a failed season for the Mustangs, they finished 2nd last year and wanted finals again this year, this has not happened. The Mustangs seemed to have lost the mojo they had in 2010 and produced unbelievable performances against some teams, but horrendous performances against others. It is not all doom and gloom for Reservoir. Impressive performances from 17-year-old Reece Miller are very promising while Corey McGregor, Ben Mowlam and Richie Collins all had solid seasons. I’m sure if the Mustangs can get their best team on the park next year and play consistently, then they should be back in the top 4.

Watsonia
Review: Disappointing season to say the least for Watsonia. The Saints barely bothered most of the top teams after coming down from Division 2. This season is perhaps the aftermath of the disastrous 2010 season. Losing their 2 best players from last year (Mark Ventura and Michael Ryan) did not help the Saints, who seemed to lack leadership out of the field. No doubt that blooding the kids will pay dividends if they can hold on to them, which I’m sure they can. All that aside, there were games that Wats’ can be proud of, they just need more of them! Paul McConnell and Eldon Abbott stood out for the Saints, while young big-man Matt Clarke is full of potential. Let’s hope Watsonia can dig themselves out of this hole and produce a better performance in 2012.

Heidelberg West
Review: Not much to be said about the Hawks. Another tough season for West, as they were able to pick up 1 solitary win. Respectable performances against top teams and more impressive performances against Watsonia and Reservoir showed that there is a lot of character in this team. The loss of Bennett Osbourne and Aidan Young were obvious blows for Heidelberg West, but the inclusion of the Fonua boys, in particular Noa, who looks like he is hot favourite for Heidelberg West’s B’n’F. The future is uncertain for the Hawks, but let’s hopes, for their sake and the leagues sake, that we see Heidelberg West produce better results in 2012.

Just like to say that is a fantastic review job very very well done !

Just like to say that is a fantastic review job very very well done !

Couldn't agree more! Great job workhorse, super impressive review.

I'd strongly encourage you to get in touch with Samuel at the NFL and talk about covering some finals matches for the record... media@nfl.org.au

I believe the boys are covering the 2nd Semi between the MIGHTY Lions and Parkside on the radio this Saturday so make sure you tune in!

South Morang

Parkside

St Marys

Panton Hill

Reservoir

Watsonia
Review: Disappointing season to say the least for Watsonia. The Saints barely bothered most of the top teams after coming down from Division 2. This season is perhaps the aftermath of the disastrous 2010 season. Losing their 2 best players from last year (Mark Ventura and Michael Ryan) did not help the Saints, who seemed to lack leadership out of the field. No doubt that blooding the kids will pay dividends if they can hold on to them, which I’m sure they can. All that aside, there were games that Wats’ can be proud of, they just need more of them! Paul McConnell and Eldon Abbott stood out for the Saints, while young big-man Matt Crawford is full of potential. Let’s hope Watsonia can dig themselves out of this hole and produce a better performance in 2012.

Heidelberg West

Very good review :thumbsu::thumbsu:
BTW who is Matt Clarke? Please send him our way any Big young player full of potential is welcome :D

Heidelberg West had its best and fairest vote count last saturday at the club. Great day and night for everyone.

In the seniors, first year player Ross Pownell took out the top prize followed by Noa Fonua and Luke James in equal second. Tevita Fonua finished third with young 16 year old superstar Brad Moore rounding out the top 5.

In the reserves it was a three horse race with Steve Wambeek claiming Best and Fairest on the final vote card beating the old dog Paul Byrne (who did miss the second half of the season with a broken hand). In third place was Justin Seiber.

Thanks to everyone that stuck by us this year and all I can say, is watch out for the Westies next year!

First up, congrats to WorkHorse on another great piece of writing and evaluation. Should change your name to Mike Sheahan .....

Great initiative by the League to have both finals at the same venue. Those attending can't complain about not getting value for money.

1st Semi Final
St Mary's vs Panton Hill
Experience versus the new boys on the block as the Sainters celebrate a finals appearance in just their second season in the competition. The Redbacks have hit some form in recent weeks with the return of experienced players from injury, while the Sainters suffered a reality check last week at their new venue. While the enthusiasm of the Sainters will be evident for a good portion of the game, I think the more experienced heads at the Redbacks, especially those that have played Division 1 finals, will prevail.

2nd Semi Final
South Morang vs Parkside
While some may be surprised at the season turnaround by the Lions, one only has to look at their "Ins" for the season to see that they have a very experienced side, including some premiership players from other clubs. The Devils got off to a roaring start before injuries to important players slowed their momentum. Even their form over recent weeks has been patch and today's match should see the Lions win one of their few finals game and advance to their first ever grand final.

Reserves.
1st Semi Final
Reservoir vs South Morang

Second Semi Final
Panton Hill vs Watsonia

Now I know who Matt Clarke is when you reply his real name comes up young Crawford

Yeah that's him, young fella with the long sleeves.

Clarke?? What was I thinking? I guess that's what I get staying up to write it. Even if it was only 10pm :D

Tipping a GRAND FINAL between Panton Hill and South Morang,

with SOUTH MORANG too strong, too determined to win their very first grand final,

There were many old timers watching the finals yesterday, with all their support it will all help to get them over the line .:D

GO LIONS

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tipping a GRAND FINAL between Panton Hill and South Morang,

with SOUTH MORANG too strong, too determined to win their very first grand final,

There were many old timers watching the finals yesterday, with all their support it will all help to get them over the line .:D

GO LIONS

Great win by the Lions. Will be their first Grand Final appearance since joining the DVFL in 1956.

Seniors
Preliminary Final
Parkside vs. Panton Hill
Momentum and confidence can go a long way in games, especially in finals, and the Redbacks certainly appear to have this at the moment - and at the right time of the season. After a horror run with injuries and coaching changes, they have got their game back on track. On the reverse, the Devils have also had a bad run with injuries, certainly at the wrong time of the season and their form over recent weeks has also been up and down. In a must win game two weeks ago for both sides, it was the Redbacks who came out on top and I think it will be a similar result again in this one.

Reserves.
Preliminary Final
Watsonia vs. Reservoir

OK Parkside win by 2 points, hopefully it will rain during the week, soften the ground for the boys to do battle at epping, GO LIONS

At the end of the day, money does not win in the end, it's heart, and that's why LIONS should win this saturday.

Alot of coin spent at the Hill for a third position!
Doesn't matter how much coin you spend. If you don't pay good money for quality players, you don't win flags. Players also have to do full pre seasons ect. Not rock up a few weeks before the start of the season.

my tips for this week are

sth morang by 22 points
rezza by 18 points

thoughts?

firstly congrats to both sides a gutsy hard faught win from parkside on saturday...
I pose a question parkside look a total different outfit with Andy Bennet playing was great with disposal in the game is he as important to Parkside as Sandilands is to Freo ... It must seem it as they were a different outfit !
Trying conditions with I would say a 6 goal wind with panton Hill hitting the front in the last and then Parkside getting a couple against the cyclone !
It was gutsy win and I really hope they havent played the GF a week early !
Sth morang the perfect lead up had quiet run last week and must be looking forward to saturday !
Does the weather bring Parkside back into it I think sth Morang as they have been the best side all year and with the experience heads of Stevens Jinette might just calm the nerves of the others
South Morang for mine by 2 kicks it wont be like the first final Deany is smarter than that and I am sure that he learned a whole lot from the first final !

Well done to both Clubs on making it this far i have some real good friends at South Morang and know a few good blokes at Parkside

Morang to win by two kicks Troy Jinette to be BOG

Reservoir to win in the Ressies ( I hope )

firstly congrats to both sides a gutsy hard faught win from parkside on saturday...
I pose a question parkside look a total different outfit with Andy Bennet playing was great with disposal in the game is he as important to Parkside as Sandilands is to Freo ... It must seem it as they were a different outfit !
Trying conditions with I would say a 6 goal wind with panton Hill hitting the front in the last and then Parkside getting a couple against the cyclone !
It was gutsy win and I really hope they havent played the GF a week early !
Sth morang the perfect lead up had quiet run last week and must be looking forward to saturday !
Does the weather bring Parkside back into it I think sth Morang as they have been the best side all year and with the experience heads of Stevens Jinette might just calm the nerves of the others
South Morang for mine by 2 kicks it wont be like the first final Deany is smarter than that and I am sure that he learned a whole lot from the first final !

Well done to both Clubs on making it this far i have some real good friends at South Morang and know a few good blokes at Parkside

Morang to win by two kicks Troy Jinette to be BOG

Reservoir to win in the Ressies ( I hope )
the big questin is, will robbie wise return???? strong rumor he may......

Congrats to South Morang and Parkside on reaching the big dance this Saturday.

Well done in particular to the 2 head coaches - Pixie and Gaz - and 2 presidents - Tommy and Frase. You couldn't find 4 better blokes in local footy.

Good luck to both sides, and also to Reservoir and Panton Hill in the reserves.

Congrats to both teams on making it all the way to the Big Dance.

Seniors
Grand Final
South Morang vs. Parkside
The Lions look to complete a fairytale season against an unpredictable Devils team that are in their third successive grand final. Both teams have players who are experienced finals campaigners, with the Lions having had a much more consistent season. The inclusion of Bennett last week certainly sparked the Devils, but in racing terms will he be able to produce second up? Don't expect this to be a blow-out but the Lions deserve favouritism and should get their ticket to the middle kingdom for 2012.

Reserves
Grand Final
Panton Hill vs. Reservoir

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back