Not Worth A Thread - Random Bulldog Discussion - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmation - going to Port. ;)

Get down there, folks.

I quoted your post mainly to get your attention. I am actually interested the text at the bottom of each of your posts which I have recently noticed.

"I'd love to break our drought but I prefer it if we did it the hard way rather than being gifted a flag like the Bulldogs and Richmond were by biased umpires." Plugger35 “The umpires often just invent frees kicks for the Dogs where you can't even tell what the free kick was for…”

Do you remember where this post from Plugger35 is? If there is more to that quote it would be interesting to read it in full to understand any context.

It would be interesting to ask Plugger35 whether he thinks all three of Richmond's recent flags were assisted by umpiring or just one in particular? It's a bit difficult to think the 89-point thrashing of GWS was aided by umpires.
Does he think the Swans were gifted a flag in 2005 when they broke their drought with a 4-point win?
What is his opinion on the Nick Riewoldt's controversial free kick at the start of the third term of the 2009 preliminary final?
Did Geelong subsequently win the 2009 grand final because of umpiring decisions?

I quoted your post mainly to get your attention. I am actually interested the text at the bottom of each of your posts which I have recently noticed.

"I'd love to break our drought but I prefer it if we did it the hard way rather than being gifted a flag like the Bulldogs and Richmond were by biased umpires." Plugger35 “The umpires often just invent frees kicks for the Dogs where you can't even tell what the free kick was for…”

Do you remember where this post from Plugger35 is? If there is more to that quote it would be interesting to read it in full to understand any context.

It would be interesting to ask Plugger35 whether he thinks all three of Richmond's recent flags were assisted by umpiring or just one in particular? It's a bit difficult to think the 89-point thrashing of GWS was aided by umpires.
Does he think the Swans were gifted a flag in 2005 when they broke their drought with a 4-point win?
What is his opinion on the Nick Riewoldt's controversial free kick at the start of the third term of the 2009 preliminary final?
Did Geelong subsequently win the 2009 grand final because of umpiring decisions?
Don't do it. The path to insanity awaits if you stir that pot.

The first part would have been about 2018, after both our and Richmond's flags - that were undoubtedly undeserved ;). The second part is more recent and might be found in the Royal Commission thread on the main board, but I'm not 100% certain.

It's not much use confronting these free-kick-conspiracy-theorists, they are impervious to logic. Read the RC thread if you haven't already. It's a deep rabbit hole.

I would let sleeping dogs Saints lie ;).

worbod Here’s another quotable quote from aforementioned Dogs-hater, last night on the main board gameday thread:

“Thanks Freo, great win up against the Dogs and their umpires on their home patch.”

I wasn't seriously wanting to make contact with this person and start an online feud. I was more posing some hypothetical questions. St Kilda certainly could be ahead of us on premierships considering they were well-placed in the 1997, 2009 and 2010 grand finals at certain stages. Today in the newspapers there were some journos tipping that St Kilda could lose their last two games (vs Brisbane & Sydney) and we are likely to win our last two and replace them in the eight. Imagine the coronary Plugger35 would have if that happens!

I wasn't seriously wanting to make contact with this person and start an online feud. I was more posing some hypothetical questions. St Kilda certainly could be ahead of us on premierships considering they were well-placed in the 1997, 2009 and 2010 grand finals at certain stages. Today in the newspapers there were some journos tipping that St Kilda could lose their last two games (vs Brisbane & Sydney) and we are likely to win our last two and replace them in the eight. Imagine the coronary Plugger35 would have if that happens!
It will only happen because the umpires got us over the line, you can be sure of that! St Kilda are so honourable they would be ashamed to receive such assistance 🤣.

Just a random one: were country zones abolished as soon as the draft came in?

Watched a couple of old clips of Barry standfield and it was noted he originally played for fish creek but there was no mention of him being drafted, despite his career starting after the draft was brought in.

Did clubs still get limited zone picks?

Just a random one: were country zones abolished as soon as the draft came in?

Watched a couple of old clips of Barry standfield and it was noted he originally played for fish creek but there was no mention of him being drafted, despite his career starting after the draft was brought in.

Did clubs still get limited zone picks?

Good question. According to Wikipedia the 1986 draft was the last one where Victorian clubs had sole recruitment options from their country zones prior to the draft.

Standfield was born in February 1970 so my guess is that we were able to and did sign him as a 16 year old. Players were often signed very young for the under 19s in those days and if they were good enough could even play senior football as Ron James did as a 16 year old in 1987.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ManOfClay and Prince Imperial - Standfield snuck in under zoning just as the draft was starting up, here's some of it in his own words:

Also, his relative Paul played for us in the late 1930s:

and Paul's brother played for Essendon and Carlton around the same time:

Bob Standfield - Wikipedia

All originally from Fish Creek - the town also produced Wayne Weidemann who popped up at the Crows after playing SANFL at West Torrens, and now Sam Flanders at Gold Coast - not bad for a small town with a population under 1,000!

Edit: interesting that Barry grew up a Pies supporter, but all his kids are now Bulldogs supporters! His youngest (only son) was born in early 2008 judging by the dates on that post at WOOF.net, making him 14. Looks like he's playing junior footy for Wilston Grange (the Gorillas!) in the Brisbane Juniors comp though, and Barry is now the senior women's coach up there at the same club. With only 98 games, we can't claim his son as a father-son though. And nothing to indicate if his three daughters are playing in the QAFLW.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Not Worth A Thread - Random Bulldog Discussion - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back