NRL v AFL.. are people serious?

Remove this Banner Ad

grayham said:
You are so stupid its alarming, You are comparing a show (Iron chef) which gets shown nationally in prime time, with a show that gets (Lions vs Tigers) which gets shown only in Brisbane and possibly Melbourne, delayed if shown at all in Perth and Adelaide, and not even shown in Sydney.

Compare Iron chef to lions in Brisbane only is the only sensible comparison.

Geez, the courier mail has sloppy journos, and even sloppier readers.

So it is not OK to compare a game that is not shown nationally?
So why do we include WA and SA numbers when comparing AFL and NRL?

Why? Because you are a hypocrite.

Kenny Hunter said:
An angry league supporter , sitting in the middle of syd ,seeing his game being eaten away by AFL .
Crowds are down , and AFL slowly eating away at it

Having a bad day are u ?? Come on the net nice and angry
You know as well as I do RL has just secured a significant increase in broadcast rights revenue, in fact a higher percentage increase than AFL broadcast revenue.

You know as well as I do NRL crowds are booming, including Finals crowds, relative to past performance.

You know as well as I do the international game has seen a resurgence to its former glory in recent years with excellent crowds, competitive matches, and a Champion Kiwi team.

You know as well as I do RL in Melbourne is continually making useful progress on all fronts, especially on the back of Storm success, hosting State of Origin, hosting Test Matches, and live telecasts on FTA in Victoria of Storm Finals games. etc.

You know as well as I do AFL popularity in Sydney and Brisbane largely depends on the onfield success of the Swans and Lions.

finders said:
Ronin said:
The number was 170K.

)As usual, you are full of crap. You really are a dunce:)

NO it Peaked at 450,000 in Sydney you idiot! that means 450,000 viewers at some stage watched the game!!!!! Or is that too hard to understand?
The switch from full time of the NRL Final to a close finish in the Swans game was always going to do that..

Ronin said:
So it is not OK to compare a game that is not shown nationally?
So why do we include WA and SA numbers when comparing AFL and NRL?

Why? Because you are a hypocrite.

Dont be a fool. Comparing total AFL v NRL figures is used to decide which code is more valuable nationally. Although $780m vs "500" mill answers that.

Working out if the Brisbane Lions are popular in Brisbane is done on local figures instead.

Its this basic non-understanding of simple logic that perfectly fits the RL stereotype.

littleduck said:
You know as well as I do RL has just secured a significant increase in broadcast rights revenue, in fact a higher percentage increase than AFL broadcast revenue.

You know as well as I do NRL crowds are booming, including Finals crowds, relative to past performance.

You know as well as I do the international game has seen a resurgence to its former glory in recent years with excellent crowds, competitive matches, and a Champion Kiwi team.

You know as well as I do RL in Melbourne is continually making useful progress on all fronts, especially on the back of Storm success, hosting State of Origin, hosting Test Matches, and live telecasts on FTA in Victoria of Storm Finals games. etc.
Its all relative.....RL starts from a very small base so its not hard to improve on:cool:

grayham said:
You are so stupid its alarming, You are comparing a show (Iron chef) which gets shown nationally in prime time, with a show that gets (Lions vs Tigers) which gets shown only in Brisbane and possibly Melbourne, delayed if shown at all in Perth and Adelaide, and not even shown in Sydney.

Compare Iron chef to lions in Brisbane only is the only sensible comparison.

Geez, the courier mail has sloppy journos, and even sloppier readers.
Oh the hypocrisy and irony of it all is too much.. *beside myself*

grayham said:
Dont be a fool.
take a sad song and make it better...

Comparing total AFL v NRL figures is used to decide which code is more valuable nationally.
How many times do I have to tell you nationally is not the battleground... SA and WA are as relevant as NZ, ie they arent!

Although $780m vs "500" mill answers that.
It answers the question nationally, but thats not the battleground. It only partly answers the head to head battle.

Working out if the Brisbane Lions are popular in Brisbane is done on local figures instead.

Its this basic non-understanding of simple logic that perfectly fits the RL stereotype.
Oh Oh the irony.. *still beside myself*

littleduck said:
A low base is more like AFL in NSW or QLD, certainly not RL on the East Coast.
What you always seem to overlook, is that NSW, QLD and ACT are not only RL states, but also Union, AFL and Soccer. They each have a healthy share of the sporting pie and that is why NRL is not massive in those states, and regularily draws >15000 fans to games.
In Vic, SA, WA, TAS it is nearly exclusively AFL, and in NT, ACT QLD and NSW the AFL have a healthy share of the market!

AFL is a truely NATIONAL SPORTunlike RL!

I will congratulate the person that actually makes you, Ronin and LF actually admit that AFL is the biggest game in Australia and NRL is the only one at risk.

I'll admit one thing, all 3 of you are NRL spin doctors of the highest order!

Beckers said:
What you always seem to overlook, is that NSW, QLD and ACT are not only RL states, but also Union, AFL and Soccer. They each have a healthy share of the sporting pie and that is why NRL is not massive in those states, and regularily draws >15000 fans to games.
In Vic, SA, WA, TAS it is nearly exclusively AFL, and in NT, ACT QLD and NSW the AFL have a healthy share of the market!

I will congratulate the person that actually makes you, Ronin and LF actually admit that AFL is the biggest game in Australia and NRL is the only one at risk.

LOL... Rugby League has nothing to fear and everything to gain! Rugby League has heaps more room for expansion. S.A you guys can have, it's a hole and probably declining in numbers... Perth is the only missing piece to the jigsaw... And the only reason why they are no longer around was because of the Super League/ARL war! Big mistake but it happens, RL will learn from there mistakes and push forward.
All these threads regarding Rugby League prove one thing... AFL supporters are scared from Rugby League.

Good luck to the AFL... I wish you guys all the best.
Rugby League The Greatest Game Of All And A Major Part Of Australian Culture!!!!! :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LebaneseForces said:
Rugby League The Greatest Game Of All And A Major Part Of Australian Culture!!!!! :D
I am so happy you put the 'big grin' at the end LF:thumbsu:

There is good room for both codes to co-exist but NOTHING beats a good AFL/NRL $hitstir!:)

Beckers said:
What you always seem to overlook, is that NSW, QLD and ACT are not only RL states, but also Union, AFL and Soccer. They each have a healthy share of the sporting pie
They wish. What they have is a handful of quality fixtures. Only RL offers an entire football season to follow. As such, they are clearly RL states.

and that is why NRL is not massive in those states, and regularily draws >15000 fans to games.
RL is first, daylight 2nd, then the rest... thats how it is.

In Vic, SA, WA, TAS it is nearly exclusively AFL,
Rugby in the West is going pretty good now isnt it.. what were there crowds like again? Perth Glory before them. I think of the 3 AFL heartland states, Perth is the weakest in terms of its AFL domination.

and in NT, ACT QLD and NSW the AFL have a healthy share of the market!
When the local team is winning they do... when the local team is losing, it drops off the radar.

bollocks. neither is truly national, but AFL is more national.

I will congratulate the person that actually makes you, Ronin and LF actually admit that AFL is the biggest game in Australia
Sure...

and NRL is the only one at risk.
At risk of what?????

All you can do as a sport is to keep bettering your own previous performance and RL continually does that. So to does Rugby and Soccer and AFL. All codes are achieving their short-term goals and positioning themselves nicely to prosper relative to their own previous performance.

I will congratulate the person who supports on that view.

Thank You.

LebaneseForces said:
S.A you guys can have, it's a hole and probably declining in numbers... Perth is the only missing piece to the jigsaw...
I don't understand why so many people easily dismiss Adelaide when it's this county's fifth largest city with a population over 1mil. FFS it is the home of the biggest football club in Australia :confused:

...and then to claim Perth is more important when it's not much bigger than Adelaide :confused:

Hornet said:
I don't understand why so many people easily dismiss Adelaide when it's this county's fifth largest city with a population over 1mil.
It's a very limited market to attract corporate support and therefore the reward for risking a new startup team is just not worth it.

FFS it is the home of the biggest football club in Australia :confused:
By what measure?

...and then to claim Perth is more important when it's not much bigger than Adelaide :confused:
Perth is a larger corporate market and just a far nicer place to be really. Adelaide is a hole.

littleduck said:
It's a very limited market to attract corporate support and therefore the reward for risking a new startup team is just not worth it.
Marginally larger corporate support and a more saturated sporting market. They already have their rugby code fix...

By what measure?
Crows - 50,000 football club members, huge supporter base and revenue etc. All this from a "hole" populated by over 1 million people.

Perth is a larger corporate market and just a far nicer place to be really. Adelaide is a hole.
If the NRL's criteria is "nice places" for setting up football clubs, then wtf are they doing in Newcastle, Wollongong, Canberra etc ;)

littleduck said:
are you arguing 1 average viewer for AFL is worth more than 1 average viewer for NRL?

No, i'm saying 1 person that watches NRL for 1 hour counts for 50% more an the average viewer stats as someone that watches AFL for 1 hour.

I'm sure the average rating for the Swans telecast's last 2 hours was well over 200k. THat's probably a fairer comparison to an NRL game.

And in the latest news flash for Ronin:

Adelaide v Fremantle average rating in SYDNEY

(Source: The Australian media liftout, 14/9)

Yes, that's right, just 2,000 less than the Swans game. For Adelaide v Fremantle.

Any more pearlers about the Sydney sporting market Ronin?

Rob said:
No, i'm saying 1 person that watches NRL for 1 hour counts for 50% more an the average viewer stats as someone that watches AFL for 1 hour.
But if there no more valuable to advertisers, then who cares?

I'm sure the average rating for the Swans telecast's last 2 hours was well over 200k.
"well over" pfft then you would be wrong.

THat's probably a fairer comparison to an NRL game.
bollocks.

that would be like saying cricket average 100k across a days play for a test match against football averaging 300k being less value coz advertisers can fit in more advertisements across a day for 100k than they can 300k can for 2 hours or so.

thats an absurd argument. altho first class spin and might have some merit.. hmm.

Rob said:
And in the latest news flash for Ronin:

Adelaide v Fremantle average rating in SYDNEY

(Source: The Australian media liftout, 14/9)

Yes, that's right, just 2,000 less than the Swans game. For Adelaide v Fremantle.

Any more pearlers about the Sydney sporting market Ronin?
What you have to bear in mind is this... if the Swans are doing well, AFL appears to be doing well in Sydney, including non-Swans finals that directly relate to who the Swans will ultimately play. you cannot guarantee this situation will happen annually. it will only happen whenever the Swans are in the Finals. otherwise, AFL is about as popular in Sydney as a shower cap for a prize root.

Meanwhile RL can guarantee at leat 4 x 3mil+ audiences annually on the East Coast.

AFL can only ever appear to challenge RL in NSW/QLD in those years the Swans and/or Lions are well entrenched within the Finals Series. Otherwise, its about as popular as a rain coat for a prize root.

Hornet said:
If the NRL's criteria is "nice places" for setting up football clubs, then wtf are they doing in Newcastle, Wollongong, Canberra etc ;)

You can add Auckland to that list too.

If they didn't go to those places, the league would be teams in 3 cities.

littleduck said:
But if there no more valuable to advertisers, then who cares?

"well over" pfft then you would be wrong.

bollocks.

that would be like saying cricket average 100k across a days play for a test match against football averaging 300k being less value coz advertisers can fit in more advertisements across a day for 100k than they can 300k can for 2 hours or so.

thats an absurd argument. altho first class spin and might have some merit.. hmm.

FFS, are you talking about worth to advertisers or level of public interest?

Surely someone that watches an AFL game for an hour is just as interested in AFL as someone that watches an NRL game for an hour? Yet by comparing average ratings, the former results in 0.33 of a person, yet the latter in 0.5 of a person.

Rob said:
FFS, are you talking about worth to advertisers or level of public interest?
trying to find a fair balance between both. if/when the melbourne storm football club make the NRL Grand Final will a near 1 mil melbourne audience indiciate popularity of the game in Melbourne or not?

Surely someone that watches an AFL game for an hour is just as interested in AFL as someone that watches an NRL game for an hour? Yet by comparing average ratings, the former results in 0.33 of a person, yet the latter in 0.5 of a person.
Yeah, but my question is what does it mean in a practical sense....

Remove this Banner Ad

NRL v AFL.. are people serious?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back