Off Season Recruiting Expectations

Remove this Banner Ad

z34TlY3.jpg

This'll do as far as trades go.
ummmm... are they having a bible meeting?

What we need to do is chase midfield depth. Guys who are good enough to support Cripps for the next couple of years and then once we have the pieces in place, go for the cream. Dylan Shiel in 2 years time as a FA. Maybe Fyfe next year. Stay away from O'Meara and Prestia this year... either of them would cost the club too much in TPP and draft picks to get them.

Trade, if we can, some of our second tier players who are worth it for either late first round picks (Tuohy) or second or third round picks. Use those picks to pick up midfield depth. As people have noted... go raiding clubs who have very good midfields and checkout the guys who can't break into the side. SOS would know all the kids from GWS so that would be good. Look at the guys from the Doggies who aren't getting a regular run in the seniors (Hrovat, Honeychurch and Stevens) and as HBF said... Horlin-Smith from Geelong. Would be worth a third rounder... a late second at best.

I would love it if we could pick up Marchbank and Stewart from GWS and a couple of their second tier mids (Barrett, Ahern, Steele, A. Kennedy) and if Collingwood wants Tomlinson, let them have him... because if they got him, they won't be getting O'Meara unless they trade out one of their good experienced players.

If we could trade in the following players... I reckon we would be laughing all the way to the bank...
Marchbank - defender
Stewart - forward
Barrett - mid/forward (think possibly a better version of Matty Wright and QUICK... 15.6 beep test and a top 10 finish in the 20m sprint)
Adam Kennedy - mid/defender
Horlin-Smith - mid/forward
Stevens - inside mid

And still go to the draft with picks 5 and 23 and pick up McGrath (or McLuggage or Brodie if they slide) and Kerr. I would think that our base would just about be done and we could consider getting one of the big ticket mids from free agency next year or the year after.

And try and keep next years first round pick for Worpel... I reckon he is going to be a ripper!

i would be hoping to recruit 2-3 very good young players and a heap of draft picks but as i have said before i reckon sos will pull off some deals no one expects. whatever happens 10-12 new young faces will be good

Don't think the GWS4 Mark 2 is a goer with the loophole change and Tomlinson's price and will to leave have likely changed of late with him about to play finals. Also, if you visit other teams boards, all and sundry seem to have laid claim to he, Steele and Marchbank as trade targets and in some cases sure things. So we arent the only club aware of the GWS Two Dollar Shop.

I would be happy with Marchbank and a decent mid, then a good dip at the draft. I would also be happy for us to give up whatever JOM is really worth to bring him in. Opportunities to recruit young potential superstars do not happen often.

I would like Dale Thomas retired. I actually like him as a character and admired him as a player but the fact that his output is less than one of our DFAs and he is the highest paid player at the club does my head in. He does not help us going forward one iota and he carries the stench of the Malthouse era.

Damien Barrett on Footy Classified tonight said that Collingwood, at the moment, have the greatest chance of getting O'Meara. Let's hope he is right!
I hope so too, just not for the same reasons as you: we might not need to give up a first round pick if we have sufficient senior reinforcements for them.

Would like to see SOS get creative.
Realistically our best chips are. Touhy Everitt our extra 3rd rounder and our future 2nd.
Touhy GCS Swans would be our best bet. GCS have plenty of picks in the range we would accept 20-25
Swans may give up there future first, which we would on trade for a higher pick this year pick 7-12.
Everitt is all but gone to GCS. Luckily Eade rates him highly, we may get a pick in the 20-25 range if we can send them back our extra 3rd rounder or Everitt pick 42 and our future 2nd for pick 10 and 26.
Think our future 2nd may be the key to getting something really good, if we package that pick up with which ever player we trade. We can get maximum return.

We have pick 5 ATM, but because of how that pick its positioned it more like pick 3, we get another pick around the 8-14 range and then load up on as many more picks we can get in 20-35 range.
We already have pick 23, there will be some real value in the 2nd round of this years draft.
GCS have 8 picks in the top 40, needing to rearrange things to ensure picks don't topple out of there with 100s of points remaining after a bid, and they're accepting third rounders?

Not a chance first-up, so we need to help facilitate their need to get ahead of (where possible) and sufficient behind likely bids for Bowes, Scheer and (I think) Williams.

What we need to do is chase midfield depth. Guys who are good enough to support Cripps for the next couple of years and then once we have the pieces in place, go for the cream. Dylan Shiel in 2 years time as a FA. Maybe Fyfe next year. Stay away from O'Meara and Prestia this year... either of them would cost the club too much in TPP and draft picks to get them.

Trade, if we can, some of our second tier players who are worth it for either late first round picks (Tuohy) or second or third round picks. Use those picks to pick up midfield depth. As people have noted... go raiding clubs who have very good midfields and checkout the guys who can't break into the side. SOS would know all the kids from GWS so that would be good. Look at the guys from the Doggies who aren't getting a regular run in the seniors (Hrovat, Honeychurch and Stevens) and as HBF said... Horlin-Smith from Geelong. Would be worth a third rounder... a late second at best.

I would love it if we could pick up Marchbank and Stewart from GWS and a couple of their second tier mids (Barrett, Ahern, Steele, A. Kennedy) and if Collingwood wants Tomlinson, let them have him... because if they got him, they won't be getting O'Meara unless they trade out one of their good experienced players.

If we could trade in the following players... I reckon we would be laughing all the way to the bank...
Marchbank - defender
Stewart - forward
Barrett - mid/forward (think possibly a better version of Matty Wright and QUICK... 15.6 beep test and a top 10 finish in the 20m sprint)
Stevens - inside mid

And still go to the draft with picks 5 and 23 and pick up McGrath (or McLuggage or Brodie if they slide) and Kerr. I would think that our base would just about be done and we could consider getting one of the big ticket mids from free agency next year or the year after.

And try and keep next years first round pick for Worpel... I reckon he is going to be a ripper!

The most sensible post I have read. We need to put faith in our recruiting team to pick the best we can with our first and second round picks. Trigg has said numerous times, and again in his radio interview before the Essendon game, that we are extremely unlikely to trade our first round pick. Trigg, Bolts and the recruiting team have a plan, one that will see us getting big name recruits (whether they are free agents or trades) in the 4th and 5th years of that plan. We are only 1 year into this plan! Far away from getting a Prestia, O'meara etc.

Don't think the GWS4 Mark 2 is a goer with the loophole change and Tomlinson's price and will to leave have likely changed of late with him about to play finals. Also, if you visit other teams boards, all and sundry seem to have laid claim to he, Steele and Marchbank as trade targets and in some cases sure things. So we arent the only club aware of the GWS Two Dollar Shop.

I would be happy with Marchbank and a decent mid, then a good dip at the draft. I would also be happy for us to give up whatever JOM is really worth to bring him in. Opportunities to recruit young potential superstars do not happen often.

I would like Dale Thomas retired. I actually like him as a character and admired him as a player but the fact that his output is less than one of our DFAs and he is the highest paid player at the club does my head in. He does not help us going forward one iota and he carries the stench of the Malthouse era.

I am pretty sure the "loophole" wasn't closed this year.

Marchbank - defender
Stewart - forward
Stevens - inside mid

Would be bloody fantastic if we got those players! Badly want to see some midfielders recruited. E.g. a Horlin smith would be a ripper, inside clearence beast to help cripps, stevens good all round player, etc. Sprinkle in some youngens in cunners, and a pick 5. We definitely need to be creative in our recruiting again. Cant see us snaring the GC FA's.

I am pretty sure the "loophole" wasn't closed this year.

That's what I read too.
The article you're both thinking of

THE AFL has opted against closing the draft 'loophole' that emerged during last year's exchange period, but has removed some of the incentive for clubs to trade backwards in the draft.

An option the AFL considered was that clubs would need to keep a selection in the round a bid was placed, otherwise they would lose access to the 20 per cent discount.

Mods please leave the quote intact, or we'll get this question for the next 10 weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
The article you're both thinking of

Mods please leave the quote intact, or we'll get this question for the next 10 weeks.

The same goes for every article quoted, two paragraphs max & a link to the article.

The link is quoted in your post for anyone who wants to read the entire article Jimmae.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be bloody fantastic if we got those players! Badly want to see some midfielders recruited. E.g. a Horlin smith would be a ripper, inside clearence beast to help cripps, stevens good all round player, etc. Sprinkle in some youngens in cunners, and a pick 5. We definitely need to be creative in our recruiting again. Cant see us snaring the GC FA's.
If this was 2 years in the future and we were approaching the end of our rebuild, I would be all for going hard at either of those two players, but as things stand, until we have gotten rid of the majority of the VFL quality players on our list, those types are a luxury we can't afford.

When we can stand there and say that we could see player x on another clubs senior list, instead of on their VFL or state level squad, we know we are ready for the icing players.

I would like us to have at least five 'live' picks (excluding rookie upgrades) in the National Draft..

I am hoping SOS can get creative and use our cap space, list spots and tradable players to get:
1. 4 draft picks in the top 23, plus Byrne as a late upgrade. (= 5 potential A graders). Draft Ainsworth (#5), Clarke (#23), Venables (#9), Kerr (#22). (unless Brodie slides). Will need to trade up our picks #41 and #49? via current tradable players to achieve this.
2. 4 trades for players under 25 who have the potential to be A Grade (= 4 potential A graders). i.e.. Marchbank, Steele, Stewart, WHE. Pickett, Ahern (but if there was a chance and deal was reasonable then any of JOM, Boyd, Stringer, Mitchell, Prestia, Lobb, Patton, McCarthy, Hogan, Mayes, etc. would be great - just do not expect it if we keep 4 top draft picks). Likely cost is Tuohy, Everitt, Kreuzer, KJ, etc. trades
3. 4 player trades/DFA's that give us depth cover in obvious weak areas. (= 4 potential B graders) i.e.. Grimes, Horlin-Smith, Honeychurch, Leslie, M. Grigg, Walters, etc.
4. 3 rookies (replace Wood, Byrne, Gowers) with a rookie ruck, Kerbatieh and best available (or Bradley mid). (keep Sheehan for Depth in 2017)
5. Keep 2017 First and second round draft picks.

I am hoping SOS can get creative and use our cap space, list spots and tradable players to get:
1. 4 draft picks in the top 23, plus Byrne as a late upgrade. (= 5 potential A graders). Draft Ainsworth (#5), Clarke (#23), Venables (#9), Kerr (#22). (unless Brodie slides). Will need to trade up our picks #41 and #49? via current tradable players to achieve this.
2. 4 trades for players under 25 who have the potential to be A Grade (= 4 potential A graders). i.e.. Marchbank, Steele, Stewart, WHE. Pickett, Ahern (but if there was a chance and deal was reasonable then any of JOM, Boyd, Stringer, Mitchell, Prestia, Lobb, Patton, McCarthy, Hogan, Mayes, etc. would be great - just do not expect it if we keep 4 top draft picks). Likely cost is Tuohy, Everitt, Kreuzer, KJ, etc. trades
3. 4 player trades/DFA's that give us depth cover in obvious weak areas. (= 4 potential B graders) i.e.. Grimes, Horlin-Smith, Honeychurch, Leslie, M. Grigg, Walters, etc.
4. 3 rookies (replace Wood, Byrne, Gowers) with a rookie ruck, Kerbatieh and best available (or Bradley mid). (keep Sheehan for Depth in 2017)
5. Keep 2017 First and second round draft picks.
Are you talking about either option 1 or 2 or 3 etc or them all together?

- Keep Pick 5, and maybe grab one of GWS' first rounders ~Pick 15.
- It sounds like we're going to get Marchbank and Tomlinson, so that will probably at the very least require the use of Pick 23 or our 2017 second round pick.
- Rather than targeting big fish like O'Meara or Tom Mitchell we'd be better served looking to shake out players looking for more opportunities (Matthew Wright types) from clubs like GWS (Steele, Barrett), Adelaide (Grigg, Wigg, Lyons), Hawthorn (Whitecross, Langford) and The Bulldogs (Hrovat, Stevens, Honeychurch).
- Add more midfield depth through trades, free agency and the draft.

Trading for players wanting more opportunity didnt exactly work for Richmond.

Expectations?

No saviours. No-one commanding a figure above 500K
Only players that genuinely want to play for us.
Hard & committed players with a strong desire to succeed.
A spread of talent: Forward, Back and a couple of mids.
We stick to our plan and not get excited for someone that sits outside that original plan.

Are you taking the piss?

- Aquire pick 9 & 22
- Dont trade our 2016 1st & 2nd
- GWS4 trade
- Don't touch 2017 picks
- Aquire 4 B-Graders

All by trading Tuohy, Everritt, Kruezer & KJ?
Did not say only those trades as used "etc". I think everyone who is not in our best under 25, 10-12 players is tradable. And even some of those may go if we get a killer offer. But I do not know who will go.

Grimes and Walters are free agents. There will be more DFA's soon - and some players like Lennon today are available.
Very likely that GWS will do a bulk deal as they need to clear cap space (something we have plenty of).
Possible that GCS will also clear a few fringe players, who are not best 22 to get all the academy kids, lock in best 22, and get other trades done.
I think GCS also will be interested in trading in some of our players with AFL experience to cover needs as their depth was exposed this year.
Adelaide and M. Grigg may part ways as he cannot get regular games - but we will see.
Brisbane is pushing Rockliff and Hanley out.
If Hawks get JOM, Mitchell and Rockliff they will need to clear salary cap so deals may be possible.
Dogs may also be under cap pressure.

The following players are out of contract:
1. Seb Tape, J Leslie, etc
2. Stewart, McKenna, A'Hern, Marchbank, Pickett, Steele, etc
3. Grimes
4. J. Hiscox, t. Mitchell, Towers, etc
5. Clay Smith, Hvorat, Jong, Koby Stevens, etc.

Finally last year we got 4 draft picks in the top 19, did not lose our 2016 picks in the first and second round (and grabbed an extra 3rd), picked up 7 players with GWS4 + Kerridge, Wright, Gorringe, is it really so ludicrous.

Even if elevated we need to keep in mind 2017 is probably going to be a recovery year for Byrne so we shouldn't make the error of assuming he is starting 22 right at the start of the year.

Did not say only those trades as used "etc". I think everyone who is not in our best under 25, 10-12 players is tradable. And even some of those may go if we get a killer offer. But I do not know who will go.

Grimes and Walters are free agents. There will be more DFA's soon - and some players like Lennon today are available.
Very likely that GWS will do a bulk deal as they need to clear cap space (something we have plenty of).
Possible that GCS will also clear a few fringe players, who are not best 22 to get all the academy kids, lock in best 22, and get other trades done.
I think GCS also will be interested in trading in some of our players with AFL experience to cover needs as their depth was exposed this year.
Adelaide and M. Grigg may part ways as he cannot get regular games - but we will see.
Brisbane is pushing Rockliff and Hanley out.
If Hawks get JOM, Mitchell and Rockliff they will need to clear salary cap so deals may be possible.
Dogs may also be under cap pressure.

The following players are out of contract:
1. Seb Tape, J Leslie, etc
2. Stewart, McKenna, A'Hern, Marchbank, Pickett, Steele, etc
3. Grimes
4. J. Hiscox, t. Mitchell, Towers, etc
5. Clay Smith, Hvorat, Jong, Koby Stevens, etc.

Finally last year we got 4 draft picks in the top 19, did not lose our 2016 picks in the first and second round (and grabbed an extra 3rd), picked up 7 players with GWS4 + Kerridge, Wright, Gorringe, is it really so ludicrous.
Its unrealistic & idiotic to sit here and say get the GWS4, T.Mitchell, a bunch of B-Graders while not trading any picks and acquiring top 2x 20 picks. We have less currency than last year, the GWS4 are stronger with more attention than last year & the rules have been changed about back loading picks unlike last year. Which 12 players are tradable that hold currency and would be wanted? Give me some examples of how any of this could happen please.

Remove this Banner Ad

Off Season Recruiting Expectations

Remove this Banner Ad

Back