Official 2012 Trade Period Discussion (#2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Jordan Russell that bad that no ones talking about him as a replacement? I bet he wishes he was three inches taller right now.
Alan Richardson on 5AA made it pretty clear Port are keen on Russell. Been and done a medical there as well.They will probably get him in the PSD or something as if they pick him up now they lose their compenstaion pick which they dont want to do since they already got Monfries. Russell will be at Port.

Alan Richardson on 5AA made it pretty clear Port are keen on Russell. Been and done a medical there as well.They will probably get him in the PSD or something as if they pick him up now they lose their compenstaion pick which they dont want to do since they already got Monfries. Russell will be at Port.
That makes more sense. Clearly one of the flaws in the FA system.

Sun saying Russel wont sign for Port.

We should try get as many players between the 22-27 age bracket (as long as they are quality and wont lose our major draft picks).

Thats our major flaw in our team, we have 28+ year old guns (Boyd, Cross, Morris, Murph) and under 21 year old guns (Wallis, Libba, Smith, Dal). Griffen is our only mid aged player that is a genuine star. Higgins will be a solid player, but not the elite player we expected, and Dickson showed plenty in his first season.

The Dickson recruitment shows that we need players in that core age bracket.

Russel, Young, Stevens (21 but huge body), Brown, Silvagni etc all provide this. And as much as Melbourne and Richmond have stuffed up over the years they are doing the same. Players like Shannon Byrnes and Chris Knights are not going to be superstars, but they will take the hits and have some impact whilst our younger players develop.

If we can keep our older players for the young kids to learn off, aswell as filling that middle age gap it will help us be more competitive next year, and be a better club in future years.

Also Silvagni apparently delisted so can be signed as a delisted free agent, wont cost a thing. Pretty young too. Was good last year.

Sun saying Russel wont sign for Port.
probably take the word of a assistant coach who pretty much pumped him up and said he would bring to Port a lot of things they need then what the Sun is reporting.
Cornes pretty much said that Port had ruled a line through Russell and then Richardson replied saying thats the 1st he heard of it. Said they wont take him during free agency but he would be looked at during the PSD

(Log in to remove this ad.)

pick
Working on the presumption Hmac arrives, one of our rucks may be shopped. GWS are looking for ruck talent, but that with 15 wouldn't get the deal done IMO. I really want to keep GHS, but you have to give something to get quality back. So I'm just trying to gauge opinion on this. Would GWS bite? I would really like to nail a combo of Stringer/Menzel/or quality mid like Vlastuin. So we'd need to trade into the draft.
15 should get it done....

Wells will find a way...

Go Catters

Dogs now in the hunt for Gumbleton if Dawes doesn't happen, eight clubs rumoured to have enquired about Tayte Pears, Rob Warnock to GWS if a possibility if Giles leaves.

Geelong no longer keen on Gysberts and may struggle to get Jared Rivers so now focused on Mitch Brown and McIntosh

I still have NFI how/why this would happen

1) Giles is ONLY talking about leaving GWS due to the size of the contract they have offered him. Improve the contract and he would stay
2) Warnock is contracted, and would be on more than what Giles is asking for. This means the GWS would have to honour the amount that Carlton offered him. If you are willing to pay Warnock such a contract then why wouldn't they just offer the same figure to Giles
3) The GWS now either have top 13 picks (#1, 2, 3, 12 and 13) or picks in the 60's onwards. How exactly are they going to trade for Warnock ??? Will they look at Warnock + #33 for #12 ??? And would Carlton accept that for a contracted ruckman ??? I know that they would get some compensation from Adelaide for Giles, but Adelaide only have up a 2nd rd pick for Jacobs when their ruck stocks were non-existant. Why would they give up anything of value now they have an AA quality ruckman on their list?

I just don't get how/why the trade would be done. It would be poor list management to loose a ruckman because you don't want to pay him what he is worth, then pay more $$$ for another AND have to trade something of value for him ..........

probably take the word of a assistant coach who pretty much pumped him up and said he would bring to Port a lot of things they need then what the Sun is reporting.
Cornes pretty much said that Port had ruled a line through Russell and then Richardson replied saying thats the 1st he heard of it. Said they wont take him during free agency but he would be looked at during the PSD

Didn't the Sun state yesterday that one of the reasons that Russel wouldn't go to Port was because of a falling out with Richardson ............ lol

Great signature for us. Both in terms of list management and leadership. Will really help us out. Wasn't sure who we were going after this trade period, but he's perfect for some of our needs right now.
Murphy is a dud. Probably a case of a club overrating someone because they were a role player for a top club. Hawthorn's Toovey.

Murphy is a dud. Probably a case of a club overrating someone because they were a role player for a top club. Hawthorn's Toovey.

I think your overrating Murphy TBH, hack of the highest order.

Lulwot? Is this serious? :confused:

Absolutely its Serious! Highest order type guy! To be honest, in a way in the Category of not hugely naturally skilled but works his ass off to get every bit of value out of that skill! He isn't the most creative user of the ball but is a guy you set a job in the backline then you just worry about your other guys as you know he will do his! Doesn't use the ball as well as our other backs and that is why he struggled for a spot. IMHO it says more about our side then him that he isn't in the teams best 22/25!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Jordan Russell is a pretty handy footballer isn't he? Would've thought there'd be plenty of teams happy to give a 25 yo with 100+ games a run.

Like many, at his best he's quite good but injuries have hurt him and there is a big question mark about his elbow, also.

He has lost continuity and has found it hard to get back into our senior squad even for the injuries we had.

Still has plenty of good football in him, should he finally get those injuries behind him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back