Official NAB 2010 Draft Rumors/Predictions/Preferences...

Remove this Banner Ad

This article is wrong. Nobody got the perfect score in the Nathan Buckley kicking test.
Jed Lamb was ranked #1 with 29/30 from 6 kicks.
Lucas Cooke was ranked #6 with 23/30.

LEFT LONG 4/5
RIGHT LONG 4/5
LEFT MEDIUM 3/5
RIGHT MEDIUM 2/5
LEFT SHORT 5/5
RIGHT SHORT 5/5

Far from an elite kick IMHO if you score 2/5 with one of your kicks on your preferred leg.

:confused:

Sorry but they are the facts.
A shame to get them in the way of a good story.

:rolleyes:

Need proof that the article is incorrect.

This article is wrong. Nobody got the perfect score in the Nathan Buckley kicking test.
Jed Lamb was ranked #1 with 29/30 from 6 kicks.
Lucas Cooke was ranked #6 with 23/30.

LEFT LONG 4/5
RIGHT LONG 4/5
LEFT MEDIUM 3/5
RIGHT MEDIUM 2/5
LEFT SHORT 5/5
RIGHT SHORT 5/5

Far from an elite kick IMHO if you score 2/5 with one of your kicks on your preferred leg.

:confused:

Sorry but they are the facts.
A shame to get them in the way of a good story.

:rolleyes:

If my memory serves, a 23/30 would place him equal first (or possibly second, there might have been a 24/30) in last year's draft camp. Sounds like a fine kick to me, especially when you consider he clearly stuffed up his most natural kick.

You guys are into this guy

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/104584/default.aspx

Although all the info is incorrect - he plays for Perth not East Freo.

Won the WAFL colts medal last year, came 10th in the sandover this year and is only 19.

Likely to be a rookie selection for you

From that vid looks exactly what we need... maybe rotate him from FP/HFF/stints in the middle. We need speed and he looks like he loves to run and carry. Plays exactly the way Brent Harvey plays.

Just had a look at the highlights for Aaron Elari and was very impressed.
Given they were highlights, he still showed a lot. Very strong through the hips, makes good decisions and breakaway pace.
Theres quite a bit of Dangerfield about him. If we were able to snag him at pick 61 I would be very pleased. One worth watching!

I agree, he looks like a Prestia clone to be honest. Not at the same level but similar player. I like.

Changing my wishlist due to Jed Lamb hereby becoming 'my boy' :D

1. Jed Lamb
2. Brodie Smith
3. Jayden Pitt
4. Ben Jacobs
5. Billie Smedts

Just wanted to List my realistic preferences for 14:

1.Caddy: Exactly what we need. (Wont be there at 14)
2.Smith; I still think he will be the one at 14
3.Atley; Next Roo. (wont be there at 14)
4.Pitt;Seems underated on bigfooty. So cool and calm and accurate.
5.Harper; Steve Johnson Mk2

6.Smedts: Hard at it. But top 5 are better.
7.Jacobs: A few issues i worry about.

Special mention to McCarthy. Would fit in well in our backline. But cant afford to overlook pure midf.

So realistically i think: Smith;Pitt;Harper;Smedts;Jacobs.
Any of the first 3 would be great. Smedts and Jacobs still a little worried about at 14.
But i think now it will be smith or Pitt.

All year I've really wanted Brodie Smith but didnt think he'd be available. As the year has gone on its looked more and more possible.

However, as much as I like him, I'm starting to think Smedts might be better. Certainly has better skills than Smith and is surprisingly quicker and more agile than Smith. Smedts is a pure footballer with great skills, seems to have a lot of time, is composed, is a good decision maker and can pretty much play anywhere on ground other than ruck and KPP (although could always have cameos at full forward). More importantly he has the athletic ability to go with his great footy ability. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go top 12.

Those that just rely on the footage of Smedts on AFL website shouldnt base their opinion just on that game, because he was coming back from injury and was played in BP.

What initially attracted me about Brodie Smith is his ability to extract the ball from clearances and burst away with run and carry. That's exactly what we need, but there's no resaon why Smedts couldnt do the same. I'm really confused now and will just need to trust Rendell.

I can't split Caddy/Smedts/Smith
Prestia
Pitt
Lamb

I think people on BF are massively overrating Harper. He can certainly do the special things, but he just isn't consistent enough. He had a great game in championships against WA where he kicked 4 goals. Unfortunately the video of Harper on AFL website is based on that game and gives a massively inflated snap shot of Harper. He just doesnt produce quality footy often enough.

He's certainly not what we need. We need a consistent quality midfielder who can produce the goods regularly. Harper is predominantly a half forward with some goal kicking ability. No reason why he couldn't play midfielder other than current fitness issues, but the video of him has got some people a little too excited.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Completely agree with lunacy on Harper.

Does anyone think Atley is any sort of outside chance to slip to us? That would be brilliant.

And no Jed on your list FAITH?

All year I've really wanted Brodie Smith but didnt think he'd be available. As the year has gone on its looked more and more possible.

However, as much as I like him, I'm starting to think Smedts might be better. Certainly has better skills than Smith and is surprisingly quicker and more agile than Smith. Smedts is a pure footballer with great skills, seems to have a lot of time, is composed, is a good decision maker and can pretty much play anywhere on ground other than ruck and KPP (although could always have cameos at full forward). More importantly he has the athletic ability to go with his great footy ability. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go top 12.

Those that just rely on the footage of Smedts on AFL website shouldnt base their opinion just on that game, because he was coming back from injury and was played in BP.

What initially attracted me about Brodie Smith is his ability to extract the ball from clearances and burst away with run and carry. That's exactly what we need, but there's no resaon why Smedts couldnt do the same. I'm really confused now and will just need to trust Rendell.

I can't split Caddy/Smedts/Smith
Prestia
Pitt
Lamb

I think people on BF are massively overrating Harper. He can certainly do the special things, but he just isn't consistent enough. He had a great game in championships against WA where he kicked 4 goals. Unfortunately the video of Harper on AFL website is based on that game and gives a massively inflated snap shot of Harper. He just doesnt produce quality footy often enough.

He's certainly not what we need. We need a consistent quality midfielder who can produce the goods regularly. Harper is predominantly a half forward with some goal kicking ability. No reason why he couldn't play midfielder other than current fitness issues, but the video of him has got some people a little too excited.

The good thing is, is there appears to be enough quality mids in this draft that a quality player should fall to us at pick 14. From what I can gather about this draft, the first 5-6 are absolute guns, then the next 20 get a little more speculative in a way, but still appear to be of a really high standard and some absolute gem's could be found.

At this stage, I really wouldn't count us out from picking up Horlin-Smith, apparently they've had as many as 12 different club's recruiting scouts out at Pembroke matches to watch him, he'll definitely be the Phil Davis of 2010, its just a matter of which club pulls the trigger. If someone was trying to keep him hidden, which has been speculated, they've failed big time.

Completely agree with lunacy on Harper.

Does anyone think Atley is any sort of outside chance to slip to us? That would be brilliant.

And no Jed on your list FAITH?

His not on my preference list. Dont rate him that highly.
Atley apparently is no chance along with Caddy.

The good thing is, is there appears to be enough quality mids in this draft that a quality player should fall to us at pick 14. From what I can gather about this draft, the first 5-6 are absolute guns, then the next 20 get a little more speculative in a way, but still appear to be of a really high standard and some absolute gem's could be found.

At this stage, I really wouldn't count us out from picking up Horlin-Smith, apparently they've had as many as 12 different club's recruiting scouts out at Pembroke matches to watch him, he'll definitely be the Phil Davis of 2010, its just a matter of which club pulls the trigger. If someone was trying to keep him hidden, which has been speculated, they've failed big time.

Im sure Rendell is onto him, no issue there. It would be great if rendell picked another Davis/Danger type pick where not many people rate the pick but ends up being one of the best players in the draft.
In the article today on AFL site he is tipped to be a certain top 30.
In the afl vid he doesnt look too quick though?

I wonder if the crows will use pick 61 on him?
Looks like Rookie draft would be too late as bulldogs will get him with their last pick in ND.
Do most people believe he is worth 61? Could you imagine him dashing of HB with Johncock and Petrenko?

At the age of 22 he would be a good pick up at 61 if he is still there. He is the type of player that would be good for us as he takes the game on. If he is drafted by us it could also help Stiffy have stints in the midfield and up forward too.

At the age of 22 he would be a good pick up at 61 if he is still there. He is the type of player that would be good for us as he takes the game on. If he is drafted by us it could also help Stiffy have stints in the midfield and up forward too.

Can i ask any who have seen plenty of Puop what his strengths and weaknesses are?
He seems quick, attacking minded and strong, but is he fit? Seems a bit chubby. Do you think he is mentally tough to play AFL?
Do you think Rendell would use 61 on him as he has stated he will go for youth, but if he is that good surely better to pick him up than some kid who might or might not make it?

Pick 14 will land us a decent mid that's for sure. In terms of who we'll get well, Rendell has made sure very few know what his thinking and even the 'experts' have trouble with it. But, in terms of who we'll get I think most of the names stated here are on the money i.e. Caddy, Smith, Smedts, Atley and co. I have a feeling we'll land one of these 4. In a lot of ways they are quite similar, and contradictory it may seem they're also pretty different in terms of what they bring.

Caddy - Well he's your bull a the gates type of player, I said a similar thing about Moore last year (really wanted him...but anyway), if you only imagine Caddy and Danger in the centre bounce, I don't think we can lose a clearance...ever. His pace was a bit of concern, but I even though he recorded a 2.93 (from memory), which is good pace, that was never really a concern, because the guy is just so good in the middle you know he'll make it. Selwood wasn't the quickest and we all know about him, and I can see a bit of resemblance, but just lacking that extra bit of class that Joel has. Bonus is that Caddy is more then handy up front. I think he'll end up either at the Dons, or with once of GC's pics (you can say that about most in the first first round).

Smith - I don't know about the criticism about him being 'slowish' is to be honest, as there has been a lot of debate in BF about it. To be honest that's a lot of bs. This guy is your modern day mid, and as much as I love seeing us land him in the Phantom Drafts, I would literally be shocked if he was there at 14. If Polec will go in the top 6, then Smith should follow soon after, so I'd say he'll go top 10 (most likely in the picks 9-11 for GC or 13, that'll upset me a fair bit). The thing that stands out to me the most about Smith, is his ability to break away from packs, and that's something we're lacking, at the moment, but obviously Danger provides that and Douglas has shown he's capable of doing this as well. I think he's the type of guy that will blossom more then other in a professional environment, so good luck to whoever lands him, because he'll be one of the better players, just needs to learn how to play the receiver role a but better.

Smedts - He's been a faves and out of all players I'm hoping he's available at 14. In a normal draft yr (where one club didn't dominate the 1st round) this would almost be a certainty. But this guys has too much potential for Clayton to pass up. He really hasn't had a set position all year, playing as a BP, mid and forward. He has speed, he's agile, can take a strong grab and has good skills...(please pick 14!!!).

Atley - To be honest I'd be happy with any of these 4, but especially if we landed one of these VC boys. Atley has been good for a long time now, and there's already been enough said about him. He's a player whose 'proven' for a draftee. You know he'll make it. The thing that impresses me most about him is is his versatility. He can easily play a clearance machine, and play as an outside mid equally as good. One area I'd like him to improve is his ability to score as an attacking mid, and if he'd been able to prove that this yr he would have been a top 5 pick IMO.

There's 3 other player I'd like to mention, 2 of them have already been discussed. They are Pitt, Harper and Young.

Pitt - We'll his skills are sublime, but his very slight being weight in at 68kg at 186cm. I think the best thing for him will be to go to a club like the Cats, who'll put him away for couple of season, while the likes of Enright and Corey come to the end of their careers and then they just have an awesome outside player who will provide lace out passes all day/night into the forward 50. I'd like to see him add more strings to his bow but he does have the skills and footy smarts to make it, I don't know about him coming to us (I'd like us to get a mid who can play both inside and outside quite well, we already have too many mids who can play one and not the other), but his career will be an interesting one to follow.

Harper - I think received some unfair criticism in his board. As has been well documented the 5 min highlight on the afl website is probably his best, but hell these are highlights and that's what it should show. This guys best is as good as it gets bar Bennell and Day (we haven't seen it yet, but I can just imagine). Harper can do things others can't. He stated in his the interviews the reason for an inconsistent season (poor even), was primarily due to injury, no pre-season and the fact he openly admitted that he struggled with the structures this year (pretty much rules him out for us as a result of that). But what he has loads of his talent, and he's a real hit and miss, but I guess that the way it goes, if you don't have the first few picks and you want a bargain you've got to be willing to take the risk, we did it with Danger in a lot of respect. I doubt we'll go down that path with Harper, but if we do, I'd back the AFC to make him into gun.

Lastly but not least (I know this has been a long post, but I've put a lot of thought into this). A guy who's impressed me a lot this season, and has been some what of a quite achiever is young Aaron Young. I know if we took him with 14 their would potentially be an uproar in the crows board. I just see a lot of attributes in him that suggests he'll make it. If you just look at the way he plays, for a guy of his size (He's tall 188cm but not as strong physically at this stage), he plays with a lot of aggression, puts his body on the line and when he tackles they stick, something we're missing badly. The guys has good pace, not elite but is pretty quick, has had a similar year in terms of roles as Smedt where he's played more fill in roles then anything else, but he also has a neat side set and looks to have strong hips/core. The query I have I had over him are his skills, but he was rated in the top 5 from memory at the combine, but I don't know what to make of that, but if his kicking has really improved then this guy is going to be a real beauty. Oh by the way, he can also take a good strong grab.

That's my take for our first pick. Over to you MR.

Can i ask any who have seen plenty of Puop what his strengths and weaknesses are?
He seems quick, attacking minded and strong, but is he fit? Seems a bit chubby. Do you think he is mentally tough to play AFL?
Do you think Rendell would use 61 on him as he has stated he will go for youth, but if he is that good surely better to pick him up than some kid who might or might not make it?

Heres a little info on th Legs site

http://www.norwoodfc.com.au/THE_TEAM/PLAYERPROFILES/21.aspx

21. Paul Puopolo

Position: Small Defender

Height: 175cm

Weight: 75kg

Games (end 2009): 44

Goals (end 2009): 10

Bio: Paul made his senior debut for Norwood in Round 1 of 2007 against Port Magpies at Coopers Stadium. Generally playing as a small forward Paul knows where to find the goals and is particularly strong at keeping the ball inside the forward 50 with tough tackling and hard chasing. Season 2008 saw Paul emerge as a running back pocket player when given the opportunity early in the season.

Im sure Rendell is onto him, no issue there. It would be great if rendell picked another Davis/Danger type pick where not many people rate the pick but ends up being one of the best players in the draft.
In the article today on AFL site he is tipped to be a certain top 30.
In the afl vid he doesnt look too quick though?

Yeah, speed isn't his strong point, but he'd be similar to Bernie Vince in that respect, in that he probably doesn't need it due to his football smarts.

Aaron Young struck me as a very Rendell-ish pick, vlbl.

I went to 90% of the Norwood games this year. Puopolo is basically identical to Petrenko (as a HBF) and I'm not sure he is any better. He will be a perfect fit for the Doggies with Harbrow gone but I'm not sure about 61. I know it's so late it's basically a rookie pick but I would prefer an Otten or Scheider and Elari looks perfect.

He's solid as hell but I wouldn't call him chubby, he's just ripped. His endurance isn't up to an AFL midfield level but he would have no problem in a HB role.

Happy to take a punt on Pops with a rookie pick instead of a Liddle/Summo/Lower as the mature-ager but I think he'll be gone and there seem to be some nice alternatives at 61.

Remove this Banner Ad

Official NAB 2010 Draft Rumors/Predictions/Preferences...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back