Preview Official Thread - Round 1 - Melbourne v Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just hope it goes better than round 1 last year.

Really do hope we lower the eyes and hit up our smaller forwards in this match. Beams, Lester and Polka can all do a job, if we don't ignore them and just kick to the big guy. Shapes up as a very interesting game this one. Perhaps our forward line has Harvey influence, and he wants us setting up smaller with the 1 big deep player for the rushed kick. The team selection itself 'feels' different to what and who we would normally pick.

I feel our midfield is really starting to take shape. The likes of Bewick, O'Brien, Polec and Rich, along with Hanely and Golby for a bit of outside pace or kicking, with a nice group for the grunt work with Rocky, Redden, Beams, Adcock, Harwood. Just starting to feel a little more balanced and rounded. Exciting times ahead for the Lions faithful, even if we don't see results straight away, i don't think we've had so much young talent on the list for some time.

Wouldn't surprise me at all to see us rotate a significant number of players through our forward line in this game. Surprise may be our best weapon. Would hope Ash gets some time up forward. He's very hard to match up on. Rocky too. He looked a handful for Carlton in the NAB cup when he went forward.

Yeah, I honestly think our best chance is to use a bit of unpredictability with this set up.

Swap Merrett for McGrath, move McKeever.

Swap Rich for Polec (Polec in the middle, Adcock off the HBF).

Swap Rockliff for Banfield.

Little moves like that would make us harder to match up on and all those blokes can kick goals.

I've looked over the team a few times and apart from the dysfunctional forward line, I'm fairly happy. I think Karnezis deserved a spot on exposed senior form but if it's part of the plan then fingers crossed.

That backline (especially if Merret has gametime down back) looks solid, good rebounding if Rich and Golby play off the flanks, Maguire is in good form.

Midfield and half forward flanks look pretty good.

If we played that team that is on paper right now and then made some moves during the game I'd be happy, but if it doesn't work you'd have to throw Karnezis or Ace back into the seniors just for their output and give guys like Harwood/Green/O'Brien/Longer/Crisp games over blokes who don't perform.

If what Voss said about the players outside the senior list pushing is true I'm hoping we see multiple, deserved changes each week until we've got a winning formula.

As I am going to game I've tried not to come on here to have read but couldn't help myself - holy hell. Nothing like getting behind your team. This is Melbourne remember...when have they ever gotten up for a big game recently.

We are going to ram our foot fair up their arse.

Was at training this morning and browny was looking in amazing form. If only they would let him play this week!

Should be a good game. I am confident we will do well tomorrow!

Actually jumping into the ball and taking the ball out in front. I have a lot of confidence on his return he will be able to again run the gorillas into submission, but still out muscle the lighter backs.

I like you cjwalkley, please visit more:)

Can anyone who attended training in Melbourne this morning advise whether Longer and Karnezis trained, i.e. travelling emergencies?

Let's not forget we only have a 5 "sleeps" turnaround until our next game against the tankers. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Karnezis and Longer come into calculations for Game 2, Longer in particular would have found it difficult to front up again in such a short turnaround, especially if he had been banging up against Jamar tomorrow.
My guess is that Longer is going to be a "horses for courses" selection and Hudson will be selected to deal with the ruck gorillas.

Good points Fairley...and we know Longer goes alright against Hampson.

Karnezis wasn't named as an emergency, and they're both named in the ressies squad, so I wouldn't hold your breath to see them at the G tomorrow. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A little cliched I have to say.

Standard Victorian perspective on the Lions. Mention Rockliff, Redden, Leuenberger and Black and it creates the illusion of doing due diligence. No need to look at the rest of the list.

Still, more effort than I've put in.

The Stynes factor could genuinely work for or against the Demons. For the younger players on their list it could be just a source of extra pressure.

A little cliched I have to say.

Standard Victorian perspective on the Lions. Mention Rockliff, Redden, Leuenberger and Black and it creates the illusion of doing due diligence. No need to look at the rest of the list.

Still, more effort than I've put in.

The Stynes factor could genuinely work for or against the Demons. For the younger players on their list it could be just a source of extra pressure.

You are tough marker TBD.

I was all set to Pan this preview (and saw the Neil Craig Reference) but as a perspective from an independent outsider, I thought it was a fair effort. Certainly no worse than most of the paid press would offer, and whilst I think it will be closer than 40 points, I thought it was a reasonable summation of the challenges facing us in this one. 6.5 out of 10.

You are tough marker TBD.

I was all set to Pan this preview (and saw the Neil Craig Reference) but as a perspective from an independent outsider, I thought it was a fair effort. Certainly no worse than most of the paid press would offer, and whilst I think it will be closer than 40 points, I thought it was a reasonable summation of the challenges facing us in this one. 6.5 out of 10.

Yeah fair enough. I'm tired and cranky. :p

This is an important point. Particularly when it would have been on the players' minds for a week and a half, when they needed to be focussed on the game and taking in all the specific instructions and preparation that goes into a footy match.

Of course, a professional football team should be able to operate with or without those distractions, but it is a risk for them.

McKeever is the most puzzling selection for mine. I just don't see it. Who'd be a selector though, eh?

We all bagged out the Blues for their "unpredictable forward line" but I think it's probably worked pretty well for them. Granted, there's no substitute for a big marking forward or two, but I'd love to see during the game a forward line consisting of leading smalls McGrath, Polkinghorne and Lester.

McKeever will find his way to the Martin/Jamar contest, this will allow Maguire to take Clark, Patful to Watts and Lester to Howe. Howe is the dark horse in the group, beautiful mover with a great leap ala Russel Robertson. Jamar is my biggest concern when he goes forward.

Really looking forward to Polec and Beams supporting Rich, Redden and Rockliff.

Hudson and Luey will play deep at stages, i figure Merrett will be up and around the half forward line. I expect Voss to use Polkinghorne and McGrath as small lead up targets.

Just on Bewick, i am sure Vossy is really keen to have him in the team due to his marking and running ability. Nothing better than having a wingman who is really strong overhead. He is also a potential goal kicker.

Cannot wait for tomorrow. On holidays for 2 weeks, got the carton of coopers mild, a tidy cab sav from the barossa. Few beers and a glass of wine or two followed by a day of Coopers and footy tomorrow. Could be divorced by Sunday!:D

McKeever is the most puzzling selection for mine. I just don't see it. Who'd be a selector though, eh?

We all bagged out the Blues for their "unpredictable forward line" but I think it's probably worked pretty well for them. Granted, there's no substitute for a big marking forward or two, but I'd love to see during the game a forward line consisting of leading smalls McGrath, Polkinghorne and Lester.

Certainly doesn't hurt when you are forced to use a few small options, if only to get the mids use to kicking to them. We need to train our players to hit up forwards, not kick it to Brown or (insert key forward here). The good teams have the medium forwards who can play as a leading forward and be damaging if the key forwards can't take the marks, as well as genuine mids who can go forward and be targets. I'd love to see a host of players rotating through the goal square for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back