Official Trade Period Discussion 2012 Thread (#3)

Remove this Banner Ad

A few people in the media declaring him a certainty to leave saying he is out of favour with Neeld but considering he's so young and been injured a lot i don't see him leaving. Though this is only based upon what Melbourne would have as there asking price coupled with only mild interest that has been shown in him (that I've heard of in the media)

Stanley looked good in patches this year.
I'd be happy with him as a developing tall.
He's a decent athlete but severely lacks Football nous and hardness.
Struggles to run out games and is injury prone, the jury is well and truly out on him.
More chances of him getting delisted in a year or two than becoming a dominant CHF IMO.

He has been linked to Essendon.. (surprise surprise seems like most people have at one point or another throughout this trade period) - seems like a great prospect if he can get his body up and running.
practically no one has been linked to the dons after you signed Goddard melbourne, north, st.kilda and the cats have been the more heavily linked with north being the standout

The ruck pool in this years draft is rubbish. Apart from Grundy there isn't much there. A 13 to 26 downgrade doesn't exactly scream ripped off to me.

Lol at all the Collingwood fans saying Saints have overpaid. If Pies got Hickey they would have said he was the new NicNat.

Funny stuff. Saints got what they wanted. Pelchen gets things done and Saints should be happy, IMHO.

You my friend are sorely mistaken. A quick gander at our board would provide all the proof you need many a sigh of relief over there.

Good move by the Saints to pick him up IMO, but it would have been a terrible move by us to trade for him!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You would think Hickey and Stanley have the same skill sets.

I think Hickey and McEvoy are more similar. Both rely on their very strong contested marking to make an impact around the ground whereas Stanley uses his insane athleticism.

On first glance it seems we've paid very hefty prices for unproven young players, but I'll give it a few years before condemning or praising it. If Lee becomes a handy 35-40 goal per year forward and Hickey slots in to form a solid ruck combo with McEvoy for the next 8 years then it will be considered great trading; particularly if we can still snare two or three quality players from our remaining draft picks.

Of course there's always the chance they Lee can't cut it at AFL level, Hickey can't win a hitout and all the good players in the draft went in the first round.

So Kosi never plays ever again, good result for the Saints.

Kosi's best is still very good, it's just that there's a very steep, quick fall to his worst. Fully fit and not required to ruck he's easily in our best 22. He started 2012 very well before copping niggling injuries and being forced to ruck, which ruined his season but he kept getting games because there was no one else.

I think there's a good chance that this trade will be a winner for the Saints. Even if you take the simplistic view that they got Hickey for Goddard, it reminds me of the Wayne Schwass - Shannon Grant swap about 15 years ago. North supporters loved Schwatta, but could see the sense in the trade of an established star for a 21 year old with promise. Both players performed at a very high level for their new clubs. Grant won the Norm Smith in a winning grand final ...

Good result for us in terms of thefuture list.

Pick up a developing ruck to support McEvoy and replace Kosi and also a young forward to replace Reiwoldt. Just need to jag a key back to replace Blake and our major holes have been addressed to some extent.

Time to load up on midfielders !

For those bagging this deal, you do realise that Hickey didn't play his first game of Aussie Rules footy until 2009, don't you?

He was only in his 4th year playing the game this year and ideally wouldn't have played senior AFL this year at all, as he still has a lot to learn, but with all GC's ruck injuries this year, he was thrown in earlier than I expect they ideally wanted to.

Yet when he had the chance to play a full game in the ruck, he had 24 hitouts, 19 possessions and a year-high 7 contested marks in their R10 game against Collingwood on the MCG. I saw him in that game and it was the other main memory I have of it, with GAblett's 53 possies, the other. He was clunking marks like they were nothing and it was like watching Ben McEvoy marking the footy.

He reportedly has "exceptional endurance", which is going to be vital if interchange rotations are capped in a year or two, meaning he will be able to ruck for most of the game and he also reportedly has a big leap, which is also going to be vitally important with the new ruck rules being introduced next year, where there will be no grappling prior to the ball being thrown up around the ground.

The latter point is apparently why other clubs started to take much more of an interest in him in the last few days, with those ruck rules only announced late last week. Had that new rule not been introduced, I have little doubt we would have gotten him more "cheaply" and that the likes of Collingwood wouldn't have gotten involved.

Then of course there is the fact he is only 21. How many who play in the ruck really make much of impact in senior AFL footy until they get to at least 24 or so, even if they've been playing the game all their lives?

Oh, and we didn't give up 13 for Hickey. We gave up 13 for Hickey + substantial upgrades on our 2nd and 3rd round picks. There's a fair sized difference there.

For those bagging this deal, you do realise that Hickey didn't play his first game of Aussie Rules footy until 2009, don't you?

He was only in his 4th year playing the game this year and ideally wouldn't have played senior AFL this year at all, as he still has a lot to learn, but with all GC's ruck injuries this year, he was thrown in earlier than I expect they ideally wanted to.

Yet when he had the chance to play a full game in the ruck, he had 24 hitouts, 19 possessions and a year-high 7 contested marks in their R10 game against Collingwood on the MCG. I saw him in that game and it was the other main memory I have of it, with GAblett's 53 possies, the other. He was clunking marks like they were nothing and it was like watching Ben McEvoy marking the footy.

He reportedly has "exceptional endurance", which is going to be vital if interchange rotations are capped in a year or two, meaning he will be able to ruck for most of the game and he also reportedly has a big leap, which is also going to be vitally important with the new ruck rules being introduced next year, where there will be no grappling prior to the ball being thrown up around the ground.

The latter point is apparently why other clubs started to take much more of an interest in him in the last few days, with those ruck rules only announced late last week. Had that new rule not been introduced, I have little doubt we would have gotten him more "cheaply".

Then of course there is the fact he is only 21. How many who play in the ruck really make much of impact in senior AFL footy until they get to at least 24 or so, even if they've been playing the game all their lives?

Great Post

People bagging this trade clearly havent seen Hickey play or wouldnt know talent if it smacked them in the face.

Great Trade Saints - This guy gunna be a very very good footballer.

Good result for us in terms of thefuture list.

Pick up a developing ruck to support McEvoy and replace Kosi and also a young forward to replace Reiwoldt. Just need to jag a key back to replace Blake and our major holes have been addressed to some extent.

Time to load up on midfielders !
Somehow I don't think Lee will be replacing Riewoldt. He might eventually be selected in the Saints forward line after Riewoldt has retired, but he will be a significant downgrade on Riewoldt. It would be a bit like saying Lonergan will replace Scarlett.

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Trade Period Discussion 2012 Thread (#3)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back