Traded Ollie Henry - Traded to Geelong as part of a reported 3-way deal (details tbc)

Remove this Banner Ad

My point is that the future first is not on the table, not because of how the Cats rate Ollie. It's not on the table because it doesn't have to be, as Ollie has given the Cats a stacked deck and I'm not talking about his comments in the media. He's told the Cats that he won't sign with Collingwood if the deal doesn't go through. Meaning they can rip off his current employer.
No he hasn't. That is silly. He has openly stated if it can't be done he is happy to stay. You are trying to invent a scenario you can be upset about.

If Henry can't get to Geelong, then he should put a high price 1 year deal on his head through the PSD... At least he will get paid well 12 months...

Let him go to the draft, don’t take unders to get him to the cats. Put a contract on the table so he can’t become a DFA and let him walk. Do not want to see him back at Collingwood
It would seem Collingwood have provisionally accepted pick 25… there seems no other explanation on why we burnt so many trades/points to specifically secure it.

My point is that the future first is not on the table, not because of how the Cats rate Ollie. It's not on the table because it doesn't have to be, as Ollie has given the Cats a stacked deck and I'm not talking about his comments in the media. He's told the Cats that he won't sign with Collingwood if the deal doesn't go through. Meaning they can rip off his current employer.
More so, if a deal can't be done this year, the Pies will likely be able to low ball the contract and retain the benefits of a player that they think can contribute to their side. Sending him to the draft would be just punishing the club in a pointless Pyrrhic victory.

Seems Pies fans aren’t listening. Been preaching relaxation for days. Still wound tight like a spring.

Chill boys, not long until we all find out what transpires.

More so, if a deal can't be done this year, the Pies will likely be able to low ball the contract and retain the benefits of a player that they think can contribute to their side. Sending him to the draft would be just punishing the club in a pointless Pyrrhic victory.
Pies can't send him to the draft. That'd be Ollie's choice.

If we withdrew all contract offers, I think he'd become a delisted free agent and could just sign wherever he wanted. Not sure on that.

I don't think a one year deal at Collingwood for Ollie is in anyone's best interest. He'd want to star, or the Pies' faithful would shred him. And imagine if he underperformed in a game against Geelong. Surely you must understand by now that we're not a rational supporter base. We're nuts.

Pies can't send him to the draft. That'd be Ollie's choice.

If we withdrew all contract offers, I think he'd become a delisted free agent and could just sign wherever he wanted. Not sure on that.

I don't think a one year deal at Collingwood for Ollie is in anyone's best interest. He'd want to star, or the Pies' faithful would shred him. And imagine if he underperformed in a game against Geelong. Surely you must understand by now that we're not a rational supporter base. We're nuts.
He wouldn't give two shits about what the Pies fans thought, and the Pies wouldn't tolerate such childish behaviour. No club ever has ripped an existing player because they wanted out while they were playing in the side.

I'm not suggesting some Pies fans wouldn't, in fact I am sure they would. Pie fans have a reputation of being nasty, bad sports for a reason. But it would represent a new low of plumbing the depths of toxic fandom, would reflect very poorly on the club, and send a terrible message to the rest of the playing group and future prospects.

Ask yourself this, Cats fans... why would Collingwood hand over a highly promising youngster to the team to beat for the flag in 2023 for a middling pick in the second round, especially when some consider we are also in the window chasing a flag next season?

It's a lovely, heart-warming story that Ollie grew up within a Billy Brownless drop punt of Kardinia Park and wants to play with his big brother, but this is a billion-dollar competition, not reunitingsiblingswholive50kmapart.com.au. Maybe if your trading team had not cynically traded away your future second-rounder to prevent us pushing for your future first, it could have been a simple transaction.

So pull out the Jordan Clark sob story. It's not our fault that the Cats traded him for unders. It has no relevance to this year's trade period, and Clark at least wanted to go home to Perth 3500km away.

We may relent and cop pick 25/28 but I hope my club holds the line and either gets a better pick/s or retains Ollie if even for another year. I believe you guys held Tim Kelly for at least a year longer than he wanted?

No he hasn't. That is silly. He has openly stated if it can't be done he is happy to stay. You are trying to invent a scenario you can be upset about.

To be fair there has been media reports that he is refusing to re-sign if theres no trade but those reports are not confirmed.

Ask yourself this, Cats fans... why would Collingwood hand over a highly promising youngster to the team to beat for the flag in 2023 for a middling pick in the second round, especially when some consider we are also in the window chasing a flag next season?

It's a lovely, heart-warming story that Ollie grew up within a Billy Brownless drop punt of Kardinia Park and wants to play with his big brother, but this is a billion-dollar competition, not reunitingsiblingswholive50kmapart.com.au. Maybe if your trading team had not cynically traded away your future second-rounder to prevent us pushing for your future first, it could have been a simple transaction.

So pull out the Jordan Clark sob story. It's not our fault that the Cats traded him for unders. It has no relevance to this year's trade period, and Clark at least wanted to go home to Perth 3500km away.

We may relent and cop pick 25/28 but I hope my club holds the line and either gets a better pick/s or retains Ollie if even for another year. I believe you guys held Tim Kelly for at least a year longer than he wanted?

Tim kelly was contracted you do realise? Henry isnt.

To be fair there has been media reports that he is refusing to re-sign if theres no trade but those reports are not confirmed.
Yeah, you can guarantee they are BS. They directly contradict what has been reported by his manager. There are so many attention seeking hacks that have no inside knowledge in the AFL media, Cornes-Caro-Brown etc, when it directly contradicts the statements made by clubs and players you can instantly identify and dismiss it.

He refused to initially sign the low balled offer they put to him earlier in the year, and that's just part of the argy bargy of a fringe player negotiation with a club with salary cap problems.

Nobody credible has suggested anything other than that he will be happy to stay if a deal can't be done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He wouldn't give two shits about what the Pies fans thought, and the Pies wouldn't tolerate such childish behaviour. No club ever has ripped an existing player because they wanted out while they were playing in the side.

I'm not suggesting some Pies fans wouldn't, in fact I am sure they would. Pie fans have a reputation of being nasty, bad sports for a reason. But it would represent a new low of plumbing the depths of toxic fandom, would reflect very poorly on the club, and send a terrible message to the rest of the playing group and future prospects.
All that might be true, but it'd still happen and you'd be foolish not to factor it in.

Your first paragraph is a valid and reasonable suggestion. That is entirely plausible, and may factor in the club reasoning.

The rest is utter tripe. Gold Coast set the terms of the pick trade, not Geelong. Trading our future second or third has nothing to do with Geelong trying to spite Collingwood, get over yourself.

We aren't pulling any sob story, we sacrificed draft capital to improve our best available pick by 13 rungs up the draft ladder, in an attempt to do a fairer deal with the Pies. We didn't have to do that and you are still whinging that we won't give you something we don't have.

If we get something for Sav, we are most likely to send it your way too - but I guarantee you will still be crying poor and blaming the evil Cats for trying to screw you over, even though the Pies hold all the cards in this deal.

Tim kelly was contracted you do realise? Henry isnt.

Yes, Kelly was contracted so Geelong forced him to stay, which was their right. Then, even when he was OOC, Geelong demanded a Kings ransom for him.

Do not complain if another club treats you the way you treated others.

I have been wrong before, but i believe Collingwood will not accept pick 25 for Henry. Geelong will have to improve that offer somehow/somewhere
Cats are a bit constrained here. Henry also won't have a b22 spot until 2024 anyway.

I can see Henry going to the draft with a one year contract term and cats just deal with anyone who picks him up before 25 next year

I’m still hopeful we get that their future 1st, but I think if they’re offering 2 second rounders, we’ll end up taking it. I’d much rather we re-sign Henry if we don’t get the future 1st.
I think the only way we can get another second is from port Adelaide for Sav and I wouldn't pay that if I was then

Yes, Kelly was contracted so Geelong forced him to stay, which was their right. Then, even when he was OOC, Geelong demanded a Kings ransom for him.

It only looks lopsided because Kelly has tanked. If he continued on the same trajectory he was on then it would've been a win-win trade

Mate, you're confused - it's the Pie fans complaining. We didn't seek out Ollie, we don't need him to fill a hole in our ones next year, we have offered the maximum we have available.

The Kelly trade is nothing like this one. In 2019, Kelly got more Brownlow votes than Dustin Martin and was a key component of our midfield. West Coast desperately wanted him, so his value was proven and far higher than Henry's is. That's the objective truth.

If the Pies don't want to do a deal, that is fine. We won't complain and neither will the club.

Your first paragraph is a valid and reasonable suggestion. That is entirely plausible, and may factor in the club reasoning.

The rest is utter tripe. Gold Coast set the terms of the pick trade, not Geelong. Trading our future second or third has nothing to do with Geelong trying to spite Collingwood, get over yourself.

We aren't pulling any sob story, we sacrificed draft capital to improve our best available pick by 13 rungs up the draft ladder, in an attempt to do a fairer deal with the Pies. We didn't have to do that and you are still whinging that we won't give you something we don't have.

If we get something for Sav, we are most likely to send it your way too - but I guarantee you will still be crying poor and blaming the evil Cats for trying to screw you over, even though the Pies hold all the cards in this deal.

Gold Coast had nothing to do with it. Was Brisbane. And it was a trade you had were not forced to make. And in short you pulled the old BigFooty trick of piling together a heap of junk and hoping it adds up to something. In this case a middling second-round pick.

You HAVE draft capital. First round pick next year and soon a pick seven, which you could easily split. I think the Pies have asked for better pick than they used on Ollie in the first place, or even a late first-rounder, and your club is being a bit too greedy.

I am aware, i think you will either find a future 2nd ie trade
Or apply for special circumstances , which i think you have a great chance too get , since all of your 3 targets are all kids.
Bowes, Bruhin, Henry
If they didn't do it for port and a 6 way trade they ain't making an exception to "help" the reigning premiers

What about what we've traded for Danger and Cameron? Two free agents. We can't all get gun free agents for nothing like Buddy and Lynch etc for free.

A Swans supporter in one of these threads had the nerve to say we got Danger for a bargain. Yet he was a RFA and we coughed up whilst they got the Bud (also a RFA) for nothing and abused COLA in the process. Then they were rightly stripped of it..

We even traded a first round pick for Henderson when he'd spent the back end of the year in the VFL at Carlton.

We have always been fair at the trade table.

Nobody credible has suggested anything other than that he will be happy to stay if a deal can't be done.
Nobody credible has stated that either. Not that I've seen anyway. Ollie and his manager aren't going to say that. They know we want to keep him and it'd reduce the chance of a deal getting done.

It doesn't really matter what's said in the press. Either the Cats don't rate him particularly highly or Ollie has told GFC that he won't re-sign with Collingwood if a deal doesn't get done, otherwise the Cats wouldn't have taken their future first out of the equation. My money is firmly on the latter.

Gold Coast had nothing to do with it. Was Brisbane. And it was a trade you had were not forced to make. And in short you pulled the old BigFooty trick of piling together a heap of junk and hoping it adds up to something. In this case a middling second-round pick.

You HAVE draft capital. First round pick next year and soon a pick seven, which you could easily split. I think the Pies have asked for better pick than they used on Ollie in the first place, or even a late first-rounder, and your club is being a bit too greedy.
Cope harder.

Sobbing in the dark by yourself is far more wholesome and less embarrassing for you, though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back