Traded Ollie Henry - Traded to Geelong as part of a reported 3-way deal (details tbc)

Remove this Banner Ad

They offer 15 to Wright and he probably accepts it. It's better than the insulting 38, better than the 18 we originally asked for, Ollie gets home, Pies get an equivalent pick and whilst we've lost two years of development no-one gets totally shafted.
Geelong then have to do some more leg work to get another pick to satisfy Brissy but that's still doable, you keep your reputation as great dealers, you get the 4 first rounders this year and can sit back like Cheshire Cats until next year.

But by doing it this way, this way you give Brisbane the pick 15 (that they don't really need considering their father sons this year) and then you get to make the Pies swallow 25?

Gee now, am I the only one that thinks this isn't about "doing good business with the Pies?"
Did I miss something? How did we get access to pick 15?

I agree with all of that. Fair chance Collingwood say no though. At which point Mackie will have given up your future second rounder and some other picks to move from 36 to 25. And Ollie will have a tough decision to make.

Thats why i would be surprised if mackie did the trade without some indication from you guys that you would take 25.
That said if a deal falls through we either get ollie at 25 (if he goes down the draft route) or if he signs with you guys we get a decent kid at 25.
Either way geelong gets a reasonable outcome and doesnt really lose anything whereas the risk (of not getting anything) is loaded on collingwoods side (in theory anyway).

You make some good points.
But igoring a crucial point Geelong wont get him unless a deal is struck.
TBH i see a stalemate here , a deal wont get done.
What happens after Henry most likely signs an extension but its no guarantee
I think if it's gotten to this point it will be too hard for him to walk back to Collingwood. He may take a one year contract to the draft instead

Thats why i would be surprised if mackie did the trade without some indication from you guys that you would take 25.
That said if a deal falls through we either get ollie at 25 (if he goes down the draft route) or if he signs with you guys we get a decent kid at 25.
Either way geelong gets a reasonable outcome and doesnt really lose anything whereas the risk (of not getting anything) is loaded on collingwoods side (in theory anyway).
Or they traded for P25 with a player in mind at the draft already with the expectation that the AFL would sign off on the future 1st being traded given Henry's age profile and how well the club has been run. Problem is with the AFL saying "no" to Port for the same thing they can't well go and say "yes" to Geelong now... It would be the last straw for some (Mr Magic is barely maintaining a grip on sanity as it is with the Bowes trade). Given how it's panned out they only have P25 to work with, if it can't get done for that then it can't get done.

What if he doesnt agree to sign though?
We miss out on pick 25, which I don't think is that big a loss. If we need to use the pick, pick 40 will come in a few spots and get us someone with a very similar chance of making it as we'd get at pick 25, often it would get you the same player - Dekka will tell us that he couldn't believe that the kid was still there and rumours will go around that we'd rated him in our top 10 and would have picked him at 25 if we had that pick. We'll all smile and laugh and future AFL trades for uncontracted players will become a bit cleaner for a while.

Or they traded for P25 with a player in mind at the draft already with the expectation that the AFL would sign off on the future 1st being traded given Henry's age profile and how well the club has been run. Problem is with the AFL saying "no" to Port for the same thing they can't well go and say "yes" to Geelong now... It would be the last straw for some (Mr Magic is barely maintaining a grip on sanity as it is with the Bowes trade). Given how it's panned out they only have P25 to work with, if it can't get done for that then it can't get done.
They have other picks/options they just don’t value Henry high enough to use them. Let’s not pretend that pick 25 is the only asset they have/will have though.

Did I miss something? How did we get access to pick 15?

Sorry My bad 18...by taking it out of the equation, there is no scope for improving the trade for Collingwood. Brisbane didn't need it, so the trade was just to eliminate any scope for deal improvement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We miss out on pick 25, which I don't think is that big a loss. If we need to use the pick, pick 40 will come in a few spots and get us someone with a very similar chance of making it as we'd get at pick 25, often it would get you the same player - Dekka will tell us that he couldn't believe that the kid was still there and rumours will go around that we'd rated him in our top 10 and would have picked him at 25 if we had that pick. We'll all smile and laugh and future AFL trades for uncontracted players will become a bit cleaner for a while.
Win/win for everyone then. Geelong will use P25 at the draft and say the kid they got there was one they would've taken with P18 had they not traded it for Bruhn and one they very seriously considered at P7. In their opinion they feel like they ended up with 4 first round draftees during the off-season in Bowes, Bruhn, P7 and P25... with Henry still a going concern at the PSD ;)

Maybe but if im geelong im valuing the future 1st higher than a target at 25 this year. Hence i think we traded for 25 to use it on henry.

I don't think it's a good outcome for Ollie to be the bloke who messed with the draft and trade system if he ends up at Geelong that way. I feel a bit sorry for Henry, as I don't think he's been done any favours the way this is playing out. And I don't think the price you paid to move from 38 to 25 will have been worth it for Geelong if Ollie does re-sign with the Pies.

Sorry My bad 18...by taking it out of the equation, there is no scope for improving the trade for Collingwood. Brisbane didn't need it, so the trade was just to eliminate any scope for deal improvement.
We traded pick 18 for Bruhn. Unlike Henry, Bruhn does address a list need so not sure this makes sense

I don't think it's a good outcome for Ollie to be the bloke who messed with the draft and trade system if he ends up at Geelong that way. I feel a bit sorry for Henry, as I don't think he's been done any favours the way this is playing out. And I don't think the price you paid to move from 38 to 25 will have been worth it for Geelong if Ollie does re-sign with the Pies.
It won't have been but you win some you lose some

What if he doesnt agree to sign though?
Then we lose 10 spots roughly on our 2nd pick in the draft. On risk reward seems a reasonable thing to do. I reckon they could coax Ollie, "sign and we will look favourably at sending you home in 24 when we expect to get a much better price for you". Kinda a win win and late win for Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back