Opening Match Snorefest....

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: The Curtain Raiser...

Didn't Hawthorn and Geelong play in round one last year and get a smaller crowd than Richmond vs Carlton?

You can bitch and whinge all you like but Richmond and Carlton are guaranteed to draw a crowd and a big TV audience. It might not be the highest standard of footy but in the end all you idiots watched it anyway.

it was garbage and a bad sell to the rest of the world.
So we are idiots for watching it? I think I know who the idiot is.:eek:

:confused: $$$ from the first crowd? I'm talking about the bigger picture, I'm talking about the AFL putting up something decent for all the new punters and anyone else..worldwide that maybe tuning in to see the first game of AFL football for the season.
How many people have been turned off by tonight's very ordinary spectacle ?

"worldwide" ?????????? thanks for the optimism, but doubt the rest of the world was hanging on March 25th as the one & only exposure to AFL. Nice try anyany Firey.

Saints and Bulldags got 15 or 16 games there last year... about 13 or 14 this year, pretty fair this time IMO, as other clubs play out of there too.

How the hell can the AFL know who's going to win the NAB cup before they write the fixture?
Get off the sauce there... You're a little too fired up!

Geezus mate it shouldnt be this hard....you normally this quick?

Pie V Dogs = 3 v 4...what part of that is there for the AFL to work out? The Dogs winning NAB cup is just a bonus FFS.

You need to fire up the brain....:thumbsu:

Thats BS.

There were 25k neutrals there tonight just to watach a game after a long summer break.

A saints v cats (or hawks v cats) would have drawn 80k and it would have been a good game too.

Doubt Geelong would pull a crowd Thursday night with Friday a working day. Long day for those from Geelong and beyond.

At least it got a crowd and was close.

Thats the problem with Nth....you dont get both......with 4 supporters...

lol why are you having a sook? It is not like North played. It is just the facts of life. Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton and Richmond will get a free ride because of their supporter base.

Last year it made sense with Richmond having a good finish to 08 and Carlton on the rise and Cousins first game back. But this year It should have been someone else. No Judd, Fev gone. Richmond second last with a new coach and 4 players with over a 100 games. It was never going to be a quality game.

Getting a decent crowd doesnt justify it.Being the first game is going to add 15-20k to the crowd. Otherwise the same game would get 72k the next time they play which it wont. Your going to get the same extra revenue even if the crowd is smaller.

Could have left Carlton in there i guess but have them play a top 4 team.

What i would do is have the premil teams but reversed for the first 2 games that way you get great games without quite seeing the top 2 play til later when theres a build up.

"worldwide" ?????????? thanks for the optimism, but doubt the rest of the world was hanging on March 25th as the one & only exposure to AFL. Nice try anyany Firey.

yep worldwide, we have expats all over the world watching not to mention those who have been advised to watch. I guess it is all about the small minds of some who can't grasp that.

Tonights Curtain raiser was was poorly thought out.

Just checked when this thread was started and - as you would expect - it was when the result was inevitable. The OP never sticks his neck out. If this game had gone to the wire and been a better spectacle - he would have found something else to carp about.

Personally I preferred his lack of volume after the LAST game of last year where he say far less to say

Just checked when this thread was started and - as you would expect - it was when the result was inevitable. The OP never sticks his neck out. If this game had gone to the wire and been a better spectacle - he would have found something else to carp about.

Personally I preferred his lack of volume after the LAST game of last year where he say far less to say

I had another thread titled "Curtain Raiser" which had a fairly balanced outlook on the game which may have upset a certain Carlton mod..so it was dissolved into this thread..please don't lose sight of the mistake the AFL has made by dishing up garbage to start a season.

Another Carlton supporter who has decided it's a bit hard to address the issue.
Typical trait.
nah mate, not at all. We're all very used to your very thinly veiled criticism with anything Carlton related. But since you asked: the AFL is a money-driven goliath, just look at Andy's pay packet. He & the AFL does not give two fcks about what you think is a quality spectacle. Carl v Rich is GUARANTEED a 70K + crowd & tv audience (last year was 86K) - therefore $$$$$$ everywhere. I hear what you're saying but it's economics. I'm sure you're very aware of this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

nah mate, not at all. We're all very used to your very thinly veiled criticism with anything Carlton related. But since you asked: the AFL is a money-driven goliath, just look at Andy's pay packet. He & the AFL does not give two fcks about what you think is a quality spectacle. Carl v Rich is GUARANTEED a 70K + crowd & tv audience (last year was 86K) - therefore $$$$$$ everywhere. I hear what you're saying but it's economics. I'm sure you're very aware of this.

I just would have thought that putting up a couple of decent teams to start the season would have been better for the AFL in the long run.
Tonight was terrible.

How many newcomers to the game would have switched on tonight to see what this sport is all about only to witness that. ?

many international visitors wouldve given up when they saw the 36 competitors wearing a predominantly dark strip.

the AFLs match-day uniform (clash strips for the fuggwits in this country) policy is a joke. PA or FRE wouldve been forced to wear their white alternate if it was away to Richmond, no doubt. different rules for different teams.

I just would have thought that putting up a couple of decent teams to start the season would have been better for the AFL in the long run.
Tonight was terrible.

yep, again mate it's the $$$$$$$ - "long run" to the AFL refers to Sydney & Gold Coast only, not their traditional home base of AFL support.

many international visitors wouldve given up when they saw the 36 competitors wearing a predominantly dark strip.

the AFLs match-day uniform (clash strips for the fuggwits in this country) policy is a joke. PA or FRE wouldve been forced to wear their white alternate if it was away to Richmond, no doubt. different rules for different teams.

It doesn't help that Essendon and Collingwood refuse to wear clash strips so how is the AFL to make a stand with so many clubs spitting the dummy?

Geezus mate it shouldnt be this hard....you normally this quick?

Pie V Dogs = 3 v 4...what part of that is there for the AFL to work out? The Dogs winning NAB cup is just a bonus FFS.

You need to fire up the brain....:thumbsu:

My point was Dogs and Pies don't play at the G.

You need to calm down... anyone can write WTF, FFS, Fkd, Geezus, you nornamlly this quick, Fire up your brain...

I used facts, you came at me? Tough behind your keyboard Sainter35... You're the toughest keyboard puncher I've ever met (Satisfied now? You can go to sleep feeling tough now mate - Night mate:rolleyes:)

No doubt our sponsors are very grateful that not only were there supporters of the 2 participating teams watching, but also those people who hate the 2 participating teams (or 1 team in particular) who watched as well. Thank you to all of you, your efforts in the recent past have contributed to the Carlton Football Club getting a guaranteed 19 FTA games for this season. Keep watching & keep whingeing, because the ratings make our club an attractive option for sponsors, just ask Mars.

yep worldwide, we have expats all over the world watching not to mention those who have been advised to watch. I guess it is all about the small minds of some who can't grasp that.

Tonights Curtain raiser was was poorly thought out.
And the AFL know exactly how the game will end up 6 mnths in advance?Lets just say for arguments sake the AFL decide to put on the GF replay on Tonight and the Saints get rolled by 10 goals,Would you be on here bitching about how it shouldnt be the opener? I doubt it.:rolleyes:

That is why you don't run the AFL, because you have no clue about how to maximise revenue.

As for asking how many people will be turned off by tonight's game, you are just being a clown. The good thing about the majority of AFL supporters is they love the game & will follow it through thick & thin. Perhaps that is something a little bit unfamiliar to people like yourself, who disappear as soon as things aren't going your way.

My advice to you, if you don't like the way certain teams play, don't bloody watch them (surely you could have gone & helped feed the homeless tonight, making yourself useful for once in your life), then you wont have to come on here sooking.
Loled hard at this.

Didn't watch the game tonight, had something else on. But Richmond vs. Carlton is a shit way to start the season. Anyone with half a brain knew it would be a poor quality game and Richmond would get smashed.

Dogs vs. Pies to start the year would have been a ripper.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opening Match Snorefest....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back