Roast Opinions of Fremantle in the media 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 20, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I try not to rant where possible but I read a post in the Doig thread that mentioned Ross getting emotional after mentioning the media and then his family. Seriously, how disgusting was the media this year?

We were top of the table but if you read the newspapers you'd think we were fighting to avoid the spoon.

It's foolish to think that the players and coaches don't see what is written about the team, and not unreasonable to think it would affect them. Yet the media kept pushing out the relentless barrage of bullshit.

Then "crap the media wrote" became "public opinion". Troll threads galore posted on the main board (seriously, where the hell were the mods this year?), opposition supporters coming on our board to tell us how poor the team was. Enough to make me considering quitting Bigfooty.

And why? Because of second half of the year was worse than our first? (Despite, you know, continuing to win games by the bucketload). Because we don't kick enough goals?

Is it really that insightful of journalists to write the same articles stating the same points week in, week out? Obviously we shouldn't be above criticism, but it takes absolutely no intelligence to write your 33rd article stating "Freo are bad lulz", it actually take some to write constructive criticism though - "Fremantle want more goals in games, here's how they can get them".

When Collingwood got off to a high flying start and then fell in a heap, were there articles asking "Are Collingwood 2015 the worst ever 12th place side?". No, the young team excuse got brought out again? Lucky them.

Why the double standards there? Is it because the media fear Eddie's response? Do we need to be more proactive in telling the media to F off? Or do we continue to pretend it isn't a factor and privately seethe?

Here's hoping the haters get their comeuppance in 2016. Of course, if Freo do well next year, they'll act as if they were on our side all along.

Sigh.

I'm more sick of the media calling Ballantyne a pest and encouraging players to hit him hard. I think it's disgusting and they should be banned from encouraging that sort of behaviour.

Ling's comments before the grand final really pissed me off when he said "I bet everyone would like to do that to him" (or something along those lines) while watching a video of Ballaz being hit.

I'm more sick of the media calling Ballantyne a pest and encouraging players to hit him hard. I think it's disgusting and they should be banned from encouraging that sort of behaviour.

Ling's comments before the grand final really pissed me off when he said "I bet everyone would like to do that to him" (or something along those lines) while watching a video of Ballaz being hit.
Or that Crowley always broke the rules even though he got suspended like once his whole career?

The media in Perth is pro West Coast but I didn't think there was anything particuarly drastic this year. The football media universally didn't believe Ross's gameplan would win a premiership. So far they have been proven to be correct. Even Peter Bell selected Hawthorn to beat Freo in the preliminary and no-one would seriously suggest he is anti Freo.

The media is ****ing disgusting pieces of shit. 95% of the media, I'd love to be the Sandi to that little shit Puopolo. The reputation of some of our players is disgusting and wrong. Crowley = Dirty Player. Hodge, who was involved in one of the most disgusting incidents I can remember = Great role model. Ballas = Little shit, tosser, dirty. Sam Mitchell, who has deliberately tried to hurt two opposition players ( The two best/one of) and taunted players over a scheme they had little control of = Cheeky, good bloke, great role model. **** the media. **** you 7. **** you Cam Ling. **** everyone who doesn't have a clue of our team, but acts like they do.

The media is ******* disgusting pieces of shit. 95% of the media, I'd love to be the Sandi to that little shit Puopolo. The reputation of some of our players is disgusting and wrong. Crowley = Dirty Player. Hodge, who was involved in one of the most disgusting incidents I can remember = Great role model. Ballas = Little shit, tosser, dirty. Sam Mitchell, who has deliberately tried to hurt two opposition players ( The two best/one of) and taunted players over a scheme they had little control of = Cheeky, good bloke, great role model. **** the media. **** you 7. **** you Cam Ling. **** everyone who doesn't have a clue of our team, but acts like they do.
I am 50% agree and 50% disagree with.

1) media is biased yes
2) of all commentator cam ling and Leigh Matthew is less critical to freo than Darcy , basil , bruce.

For some reason we have a real PR issue. I always thought that we'd start getting some respect in the media once we started winning games but more fool me. It just seems that we're the team that the media love to hate and have been since the day we entered the comp (probably before, truth be known).

It's affecting our whole operation off the field and on. I'm sure the way we get treated by the umps is a reflection of our public perception, so too the MRP and there's no doubt in my mind that GWS wouldn't be playing anywhere near as hardball in the McKenzie negotiations if it was any other club that they were dealing with.

I said it at the time but we have a magnificent opportunity to win some of the critics over with Nat Fyfe winning the Brownlow. We need to make the most possible mileage out of his popularity to improve the clubs public perception.

I try not to rant where possible but I read a post in the Doig thread that mentioned Ross getting emotional after mentioning the media and then his family. Seriously, how disgusting was the media this year?

What did Lyon say about the media? Did it have something to do with his family?

I am 50% agree and 50% disagree with.

1) media is biased yes
2) of all commentator cam ling and Leigh Matthew is less critical to freo than Darcy , basil , bruce.

Leigh's alright but Ling is as bad as the rest of the east coast media. Basil is in a league of his own. Even Dennis shits me, he's clearly a WC supporter. The difference in his demeanour while calling our games compared to a WC game is chalk and cheese. Just wants to crack jokes and have a laugh with the boys while calling our games - couldn't give a shit.

For some reason we have a real PR issue. I always thought that we'd start getting some respect in the media once we started winning games but more fool me. It just seems that we're the team that the media love to hate and have been since the day we entered the comp (probably before, truth be known).

It's affecting our whole operation off the field and on. I'm sure the way we get treated by the umps is a reflection of our public perception, so too the MRP and there's no doubt in my mind that GWS wouldn't be playing anywhere near as hardball in the McKenzie negotiations if it was any other club that they were dealing with.

I said it at the time but we have a magnificent opportunity to win some of the critics over with Nat Fyfe winning the Brownlow. We need to make the most possible mileage out of his popularity to improve the clubs public perception.
Got the feeling the more we said they are biased the more they hate us so no point .Is like the more we said we need bennell and McCarthy the more difficult to get them.

The Media is trying it's hardest to make GC demand our 1st for Bennell. Don't even get me started on the McCarthy situation. Don't remember all the 'GWS should stand strong' when Boyd wanted out.

Add on top of that the sheer delight they get when discussing us falling off a cliff because we're soo old.

To me all the snide comments mean we're relevant. We get Bennell and McCarthy we will be top 4 again with an elite midfield and a decent forward line. They hate the thought of that.

Guarantee next season our 'feral' fans will be a topic of discussion almost every home game.

My one hope is that because everyone was pretty impressed with Fyfe at the Brownlow they don't go on a crusade everytime he looks at an opposition player funny.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The media pretty much got it right this year.

The commentary on some of our games this year was disgusting.
Even my old man who watches EPL mainly and Dockers games only occasionally brought it up a few times.

I think you need one of two things to get positive AFL media coverage.
1. Clout - ex players talking you up in the media, a powerful tradition, a large fanbase waiting in the wings.
2. A good story to win over the neutrals - maybe rags to riches, a club tragedy you've overcome or an exciting new player or style.

We just don't stand out on either measure. Us winning our first premiership for Pav is a good story, but it doesn't really stand out when there are 18 clubs. And low-scoring hard-fought victories win you respect, but not love. If we played a season like our first 9 weeks real media love would come.

I think you need one of two things to get positive AFL media coverage.
1. Clout - ex players talking you up in the media, a powerful tradition, a large fanbase waiting in the wings.
2. A good story to win over the neutrals - maybe rags to riches, a club tragedy you've overcome or an exciting new player or style.

We just don't stand out on either measure. Us winning our first premiership for Pav is a good story, but it doesn't really stand out when there are 18 clubs. And low-scoring hard-fought victories win you respect, but not love. If we played a season like our first 9 weeks real media love would come.

I would suggest we just took care of point : 2.

Nat Fyfe's Brownlow has brought widespread admiration.
Point :1 we are heading towards. Having people like David King onside and defending us and Ross, is helpful.

I would suggest we just took care of point : 2.

Nat Fyfe's Brownlow has brought widespread admiration.
Point :1 we are heading towards. Having people like David King onside and defending us and Ross, is helpful.
I absolutely agree re Fyfe. Next year will be different.
With the likes of King though, coverage will depend on performance. It's not quite the same as having past club greats in the spotlight who keep banging on about you week in, week out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back