Our biggest trade/draft period EVER.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hindsite is your friend isn't it. It is easy to call from your armchair after the event. It is obvious we need to get value from a player like Shaw, EVERYONE is fully aware of that. Players that have REALISED their talents cost too much, and players that have shown to be flawed, like Shaw himself with his behaviour, are what is going to be offered up for Shaw. We just need to forsee the future, rather than sitting back when it is all said and done, and saying that was wrong, that was right.

WTF are you on about.

I am suggesting if we get rid of Shaw, we need a top 22 player that fits our needs eg Motlop. If we want a free agency player, I am suggesting Nick Dal Santo with his elite kicking skills fits our need. That's called foresight, not hindsight. You don't settle on second or third best just because they are there and doable. You end up with players that need to be delisted a year or 2 later.

I also said last year that Lynch and Russell would be poor choices. Both were finished as footballers.Russell had never recovered from his hip surgery several years ago, it was waste of a pick,albeit a late one

How is that hindsight?????

WTF are you on about.

I am suggesting if we get rid of Shaw, we need a top 22 player that fits our needs eg Motlop. If we want a free agency player, I am suggesting Nick Dal Santo with his elite kicking skills fits our need. That's called foresight, not hindsight. You don't settle on second or third best just because they are there and doable. You end up with players that need to be delisted a year or 2 later.

I also said last year that Lynch and Russell would be poor choices. Both were finished as footballers.Russell had never recovered from his hip surgery several years ago, it was waste of a pick,albeit a late one

How is that hindsight?????

We're not going to get someone of the quality of Motlop, Forget that straight away. Dal Santo is 29 years old, so you'd have him for one to two years and then he's gone. I'd prefer the luxury of time. But everyone is entitled to their opinion, I am not saying that Dal Santo is definitely a no no. What did you say about Leigh Brown prior to him coming? I suppose you were all over that one.

I suppose I just have a dislike for people that jump onto a Pie board, and say how bad we are going, and how the players we have a no good, and need to be replaced, and how every other side is better.

To that I say BULLSH!T I like more positive supporters, ones that don't say the sky is falling, and how they would do much better if they were running the show.

It grates me. We're alright, we have some bloody good players, and they will do what is needed. There is upside in so many players in our side.

Why I was saying hindsite, because EVERYONE was saying that Lake was done. He looked a shadow of his former self. You were saying it was obvious. Hindsite. Gunston, another player that had 2 games one year earlier and only 12 games on the year of the trade, but you knew that he was going to do what he has done did you?

Dal Santo could fall in a hole next year, and are you going to put your hand up and say you got that one wrong?, answer is no, you'll take that to the grave if no one pulls you up for it.

I definitely disagree. We saw Ben Reid be exposed in the elimination final. He is a swingman, it's the new trend. He does his best work down back, it's not just about the fact that he can kick goals up forward, but he is an All Australian CHB for a reason.

I don't think you can replace the value he has down back with a Brown of Keeffe. It's easier to find other avenues to goal through midfielders and dangerous small forwards, than it is to replace a key defender. Reid is by far our best key defender. We've got more options going forward with Swan, and other crumbing players.

Agree that Reid's best value is in the swingman role. Towards the end opposition defences had planned for him so the shock value wasn't there (like against Carlton).

The real key next year is the development of Paine or picking up a genuine 2nd forward tall. Lynch is more of a 3rd tall who can ruck and provide the lead up target.

Returning Reid down back but using him as a running HB like Shaw will create all sorts of match up issues for opposition forwards (assuming of course Brown and Keefe stay healthy and Oxley/Frost step up)

Simple really, I was trying to make a point, and the point was missed. How is that hard to understand. I explained it more thoroughly and now it is not missed. But a new misunderstanding has emerged, this is really difficult.

It was very condescending. Love your passion and we all share it. My only advise would be to play nice.

Why? Why do we have to be the loser in this deal? Shaw is a far better player than Smedts and Duncan. Unless we can get a player of the calibre of Motlop, I would not get rid of Shaw.

Why? Maybe because he just signed on for another two years? Are you dumb enough motlop would leave there literally a couple of weeks afterr he resigned. Smedts and Duncan are both guns.
Youre gonna be upset at the end of the trade period if you expect us to get top 3 in the competition small forward. Some imagination. A real win for shaw would be a mid first round draft pick or a young gun like adams.

We're not going to get someone of the quality of Motlop, Forget that straight away. Dal Santo is 29 years old, so you'd have him for one to two years and then he's gone. I'd prefer the luxury of time. But everyone is entitled to their opinion, I am not saying that Dal Santo is definitely a no no. What did you say about Leigh Brown prior to him coming? I suppose you were all over that one.

I suppose I just have a dislike for people that jump onto a Pie board, and say how bad we are going, and how the players we have a no good, and need to be replaced, and how every other side is better.

To that I say BULLSH!T I like more positive supporters, ones that don't say the sky is falling, and how they would do much better if they were running the show.

It grates me. We're alright, we have some bloody good players, and they will do what is needed. There is upside in so many players in our side.

Why I was saying hindsite, because EVERYONE was saying that Lake was done. He looked a shadow of his former self. You were saying it was obvious. Hindsite. Gunston, another player that had 2 games one year earlier and only 12 games on the year of the trade, but you knew that he was going to do what he has done did you?

Dal Santo could fall in a hole next year, and are you going to put your hand up and say you got that one wrong?, answer is no, you'll take that to the grave if no one pulls you up for it.

Hysterical rants like this diatribe do little to advance your arguments. If more positive supporters( your take not mine ) are your go, why don't you stick to reading the many posters who set the bar so low you'd have to do a limba dance to get underneath. I'm sorry but I am not satisfied with finishing 8th. There is nothing negative in setting higher goals for yourself, or the team you support. Negative is accepting mediocrity.

Motlop will be difficult to get , but if you don't aim high you'll end up with the Jordan Russells of this world. Would you have advised Hawthorn that they couldn't possibly get Gibson from North because he was their best defender, or Burgoyne from Port as he was their best player????

Lake was a risk, injury wise. On talent he has been one of the premier full backs in the AFL for many years. He was best 22 for Hawthorn and filled a desperate need for them.

If Dal Santo falls in a hole, it won't be due to lack of talent, it will be through injury. He has a proven record as a durable player so there are no warning signs that may happen. There is risk with all these things. If the club does its homework you can reduce that risk but not eliminate it completely from any player, from Garry Ablett down.

Dal Santo would walk into our side,and has no known injury queries and would fill a hole in our side, that's all that matters when considering who to recruit.

Why? Maybe because he just signed on for another two years? Are you dumb enough motlop would leave there literally a couple of weeks afterr he resigned. Smedts and Duncan are both guns.
Youre gonna be upset at the end of the trade period if you expect us to get top 3 in the competition small forward. Some imagination. A real win for shaw would be a mid first round draft pick or a young gun like adams.

Are you dumb enough to think contracts mean anything when clubs can smell a deal? Does the name Michael Malthouse ring a bell ? Or Heath Shaw? He has a current contract.

Are you dumb enough to think contracts mean anything when clubs can smell a deal? Does the name Michael Malthouse ring a bell ? Or Heath Shaw? He has a current contract.
heath shaw did sign a new contract last month? Didnt think so. And Motlop has been playing great footy when Heath Shaw has been okay and has been giving away frees and carrying on. Have a think about what you are saying. Steven Motlop (who just committed to geelong for another two years last month) being traded to Collingwood for Heath Shaw next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey guys, new to the place :) will introduce myself in due time.

I really like the option of getting Jesse White. I strongly feel that Reid does his best work down back. Reid occupying CHB, and Brown FB is our best set up. I think we need to accept that the Q stick path didn't quite work. White and Cloke would be a better combo. I know this leaves Lynch and Keeffe stranded, but I think if we had White and we had to pick our best side with our talls, then they'd be left out.

Welcome jjsmitty8.

Agree with Reid disagree Re: Keeffe. I'm more than happy to play Brown at fullback, Keeffe CHB and Reid plays as the 3rd tall sweeping across the back line filling gaps and 3rd man up. Having Keeffe in also allows us the flexibility to swing Reid forward when required.

For mine Keeffe stays and Max goes in 2014.

Out of brown, keeffe, reid, cloke and white. Brown is lowest in the pecking order imo. White is perfect for that leigh brown roaming role, lynch couldn't get it right. Quality mids are dime a dozen. But white is very gettable tall without giving an arm & a leg

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

Out of brown, keeffe, reid, cloke and white. Brown is lowest in the pecking order imo. White is perfect for that leigh brown roaming role, lynch couldn't get it right. Quality mids are dime a dozen. But white is very gettable tall without giving an arm & a leg
Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

Why can't all 5 play in the same team?

We need to go for young and hungry 21-24 year olds over 183cm with foot skills (ill make an exception for Adams). I think we have the other areas pretty much covered. If we can inject these types our window should reopen in 2015/16

Given pick 2 is not a certainty to get boyd, what are peoples preferences?

1) pick 2 and Adams
2) pick 2 and pick 11
3) Adams and picks 10,11
4) pick 2 and daisy
5) shaw, daisy and pick 10
6) shaw, picks 10,11.

Would people still be happy with pick 2 if it wasn't Boyd?

Given pick 2 is not a certainty to get boyd, what are peoples preferences?

1) pick 2 and Adams
2) pick 2 and pick 11
3) Adams and picks 10,11
4) pick 2 and daisy
5) shaw, daisy and pick 10
6) shaw, picks 10,11.

Would people still be happy with pick 2 if it wasn't Boyd?

I'd probably prefer option 3: Adams, picks 10 & 11.

Based on Pies' needs I don't see a huge difference between pick 2 & 11 so would prefer two top picks over pick 2. I think getting Boyd at pick 2 is hugely unlikely. If GWS are going to decide not to take him I think they can get better value by trading pick 1.

I'd probably prefer option 3: Adams, picks 10 & 11.

Based on Pies' needs I don't see a huge difference between pick 2 & 11 so would prefer two top picks over pick 2. I think getting Boyd at pick 2 is hugely unlikely. If GWS are going to decide not to take him I think they can get better value by trading pick 1.

I have obviously missed something How do we get pick 1 or 2 to do a deal for Boyd ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Our biggest trade/draft period EVER.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back