Strategy Our Next Senior Coach: 2019 & Beyond... is Matthew Nicks

Our next senior coach...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currency?

Phil understands basketball coaching 20 years ago.

Pods was only ever an assistant - and what 3-4 years ago at that?

Nah it’s rubbish
Yeah let's do a Melbourne and get Gary Lyons

Can't comment on Smyth, but Pods never seemed too engrained in the 'Crows culture' as such? Knew what he was doing as a coach too, so I think he'd know what to find in a Pyke replacement

Pods will probably make a decent GM of Football one day. Has a fairly broad range of experience in the footy world. Also appears pretty switched on.

Currency?

Nah it’s rubbish
Yeah.

Really caused a problem for Hawthorn when Dunstall pushed for Clarkson having been out of the game for much longer than Pods. Re: Smyth, well he was one of the best communicators going around and that seems to one of the areas that Pyke fell down.

I honestly can’t see a problem with these appointments. But then some people are unable to see any kind of positive at the moment...

Seriously is this some kind of crappy joke.

No disrespect to past achievements but what kind of current understanding of the current AFL environment to these guys bring.

It’s pure comedy from the club that keeps the laughs coming
It said Pods is on the AFL’s Game Analysis Team, so would assume he's still up to date with current AFL in terms of tactics.

Was it too hard to get a premiership winning AFL coach on the panel?

Surely that should have been our #1 target
Simpson
Clarkson
Hardwick
Beveridge
Longmire
Scott
Worsfold
All still coaching at AFL clubs

Bomber Thompson - big no for obvious reasons
Malthouse - over the hill, wouldn't trust him to pick an innovative type
Mark Williams - wouldn't help the Crows out I reckon
Sheedy - is he still working at an AFL club? If so we can't chase him
Pagan - see Malthouse
Blight - after his recent comments I doubt the club would go after him

Best options are probably Roos and Leigh Matthews in that regard, and even then considering how long it's been since they won premierships in the AFL system I wouldn't be too inspired if they were on the panel

Not trying to justify the appointments but you have to look deeper than surface achievements

Currency?

Nah it’s rubbish

Hasn't Smyth been working with Jarrod Cotton?

I don't mind the Pods choice. Someone with experience at a successful club, who know enough about our club to be useful but not enough to be embedded.

Simpson
Clarkson
Hardwick
Beveridge
Longmire
Scott
Worsfold

Pagan - see Malthouse

Best options are probably Roos and Leigh Matthews in that regard, and even then considering how long it's been since they won premierships in the AFL system I wouldn't be too inspired if they were on the panel

Not trying to justify the appointments but you have to look deeper than surface achievements
Leigh Matthews was on the panel that hired Sando.

Simpson
Clarkson
Hardwick
Beveridge
Longmire
Scott
Worsfold

Pagan - see Malthouse

I'd even take a coach who has been a Premiership assistant. Anyone who has been coaching at AFL level during a flag. None of the four people on the panel have experience coaching an AFL side to success.

What about a person who has been a head coach? Of any high-level senior side? No one on the panel fits that bill either

The selection panel seems heavily weighted to recruit exactly the sort of coach that will continue the current Crows culture
bingo-daily-matinee.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interestin. Rowey mentioned Smyth this morning as one of the 2 that havent been announce on the review panel but looks like it is on this panel not the review panel

Smyth has consulted in the past with Richmond and the Bulldogs and has his own mentoring and coaching company that works with sports teams and in the corporate sector. He's likely on the panel to ensure the person has the required leadership and communication skills. Given they seem to be two areas we're lacking in, it could work out well.

Pods seems like a reasonable choice. Understands the club, but also has wider AFL experience.

Smyth is an odd one. His success was built on relationships with players, spending well above what was financially prudent for the club, and having a very smart assistant coach. I'm not really sure he will have much to offer, but I am sure he will happily rubber stamp whatever he is told to.

I like it. Good mix. I’m actually quite confident we’ll pluck a quality coach from somewhere.

It’s the other off field sections I’m more worried about

I'd even take a coach who has been a Premiership assistant. Anyone who has been coaching at AFL level during a flag. None of the four people on the panel have experience coaching an AFL side to success.

What about a person who has been a head coach? Of any high-level senior side? No one on the panel fits that bill either
I'd personally argue Pods is just as good a appointment than a lot of ex-head coaches would be, given his success with our backline when he was here and his other credentials. Can't think of too many ex-head coaches that I'd be convinced would have an outstanding impact on choosing our next coach, anyway - a lot are either failed, still working for other clubs or are too long in the tooth for my liking

Here are the two candidates I would have liked to see fill the 'external' slots

1. A recent premiership winning player with no ties to the Adelaide Crows, preferably from a strong system like Hawthorn, Geelong or Sydney

2. A person with head coaching experience at a senior-level, preferably AFL level, preferably with success. A successful assistant would also suffice.

Hasn't Smyth been working with Jarrod Cotton?

I don't mind the Pods choice. Someone with experience at a successful club, who know enough about our club to be useful but not enough to be embedded.

Yeah Smyth has done a fair bit of work with Norwood over the years. Probably other clubs as well.

Was it too hard to get a premiership winning AFL coach on the panel?

Surely that should have been our #1 target
Like the modern thinking Mick Malthouse?

Leigh Matthews been there done that - Brenton Sanderson?

Mark Thompson? Who supplies the crack pipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back