Strategy Our Next Senior Coach: 2019 & Beyond... is Matthew Nicks

Our next senior coach...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like the modern thinking Mick Malthouse?

Leigh Matthews been there done that - Brenton Sanderson?

Mark Thompson? Who supplies the crack pipe?

I don't know who specifically but the panel is lacking someone with high-level coaching experience in a successful environment

Here are the two candidates I would have liked to see fill the 'external' slots

1. A recent premiership winning player with no ties to the Adelaide Crows, preferably from a strong system like Hawthorn, Geelong or Sydney

2. A person with head coaching experience at a senior-level, preferably AFL level, preferably with success. A successful assistant would also suffice.
It's an effin lotto at the best of times.

You have no idea how good someone is at a specific job until they do that exact job (with the people already in the organisation) for decent period of time ... there is no formula to hiring the best person.

If you want to try and tell me that there are systems that improve your success rate - I'll beg to disagree. There is no way to measure it. You don't know how good the person could have been that you didn't hire.

Get a good mix of candidates with the experience and personality you are looking for - preferably recommended by someone you trust - and cross your fingers.

Smyth has consulted in the past with Richmond and the Bulldogs and has his own mentoring and coaching company that works with sports teams and in the corporate sector. He's likely on the panel to ensure the person has the required leadership and communication skills. Given they seem to be two areas we're lacking in, it could work out well.

When I first saw Smyth's name I thought it was odd but reading that fills me with a bit more confidence in finding someone who is a good fit for the club.

1. A recent premiership winning player with no ties to the Adelaide Crows, preferably from a strong system like Hawthorn, Geelong or Sydney

2. A person with head coaching experience at a senior-level, preferably AFL level, preferably with success. A successful assistant would also suffice.
Well described and I wouldn’t have thought this was overly ambitious nor unreasonable to expect.

Appears though our expectations are set so low that this was too much.

Yeah.

Really caused a problem for Hawthorn when Dunstall pushed for Clarkson having been out of the game for much longer than Pods. Re: Smyth, well he was one of the best communicators going around and that seems to one of the areas that Pyke fell down.

I honestly can’t see a problem with these appointments. But then some people are unable to see any kind of positive at the moment...
Bang on da money....
:thumbsu:

I agree with (1).

But (2). Wouldnt any capable ex Premiership coach or particulalry Assistant Coaches be applying?

Most of the other Premiership coaches, ie the ones not wanting to coach anymore are generally past it in terms of modern Clubland.

Malthouse, Matthews, Blight, Parkin, Walls Pagan etc . Pass.

The two that could offer current advice are probably Paul Roos and Chocco.

I personally think Paul Roos is one of the most over rated people in Footy. Was relevant when mid 2000s footy was in vogue. But since Clarko and Malthouse changed the game from 2008 onwards that style is not successful. His stint at Melbourne achieved nothing.

Chocco, after the way he carried on in the media about our club you would think he would not be welcome. Even if it was to help out.

Pods and Smythe are not the best choices. But far from the worst either.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Is it unusual that the director of football is not on the panel? Doesn't the coach report to the director?

Maybe a sign that Burton is on his way out?
Ruccuito is the director of football. Burton is the GM of the football department

Give an example.

Someone like Mark Stone comes to mind.

Head coach of Glenelg currently, previously an assistant at West Coast (2006 premiership), Sydney and Fremantle during successful periods at all clubs.

Obviously he would be dealing with the SANFL GF right now but he's the sort of person I'd have been looking for

Fagan on MMM now, discussing Phil Smyth and J-Pod being added to the panel

Interestin. Rowey mentioned Smyth this morning as one of the 2 that havent been announce on the review panel but looks like it is on this panel not the review panel
That’s weird because the Review panel has been working for the past week.... on the review. So he’s just getting all confused?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Freo's coaching selection panel is Peter Mann (board member, ex-player), Dale Alcock (president), Sue Murphy (board member), Peter Bell (GM Football, ex-player) and Luke McPharlin (ex-player).
St Kilda went for Andrew Bassat (president), Dean Anderson (Football director, ex-player), Matt Finnis (CEO), Simon Lethlean (Football Manager), and David Rath (AFL's head of coaching)
Carlton went for Chris Judd (board member), Cain Liddle (CEO), Mark LoGiudice (president), Brad Lloyd (head of football) and David Campbell (board member).
North's panel was Carl Dilena (CEO/MD), Paul Dwyer (board member), Glenn Archer (ex-board member), Ben Buckley (chairman) and Cameron Joyce (GM football).
Gold Coast (2017)'s panel went for Mark Evans (CEO), Marcus Ashcroft (football manager), Matti Clements (club psychologist), Simon Garlick (ex WB CEO) and Neil Craig.
Brisbane (2016)'s panel was Greg Swann (CEO), Peter Schwab (Lions Talent Acquisition and Retention Manager), Matti Clements (Director and Senior Psychologist at Mental Edge Consulting), Simon Black (ex-player, one time Survivor) and ultimately David Noble (who joined Brisbane a week before Fagan was announced).

So what does that tell us? Very few clubs appoint outsiders to the coach recruitment panel, unlesss Matti Clements is available. (Clements was on the committee that appointed Alan Richardson to the Saints, too!)

It's a pipe dream to think there are legions of Sydney / Hawthorn / Geelong ex-players with coaching credentials and recruitment experience just waiting to get a gig that's going to last a few weeks.

So Freo's coaching selection panel is Peter Mann (board member, ex-player), Dale Alcock (president), Sue Murphy (board member), Peter Bell (GM Football, ex-player) and Luke McPharlin (ex-player).
St Kilda went for Andrew Bassat (president), Dean Anderson (Football director, ex-player), Matt Finnis (CEO), Simon Lethlean (Football Manager), and David Rath (AFL's head of coaching)
Carlton went for Chris Judd (board member), Cain Liddle (CEO), Mark LoGiudice (president), Brad Lloyd (head of football) and David Campbell (board member).
North's panel was Carl Dilena (CEO/MD), Paul Dwyer (board member), Glenn Archer (ex-board member), Ben Buckley (chairman) and Cameron Joyce (GM football).
Gold Coast (2017)'s panel went for Mark Evans (CEO), Marcus Ashcroft (football manager), Matti Clements (club psychologist), Simon Garlick (ex WB CEO) and Neil Craig.
Brisbane (2016)'s panel was Greg Swann (CEO), Peter Schwab (Lions Talent Acquisition and Retention Manager), Matti Clements (Director and Senior Psychologist at Mental Edge Consulting), Simon Black (ex-player, one time Survivor) and ultimately David Noble (who joined Brisbane a week before Fagan was announced, and took the GM role).

So what does that tell us? Very few clubs appoint outsiders to the coach recruitment panel, unlesss Matti Clements is available. (Clements was on the committee that appointed Alan Richardson to the Saints, too!)

It's a pipe dream to think there are legions of Sydney / Hawthorn / Geelong ex-players with coaching credentials and recruitment experience just waiting to get a gig that's going to last a few weeks.

Someone is about to get demoted, or lose their job.

Just got Fages member message
Quote re Coach

“In other news, you would have probably heard by now that we have finalised the panel that will identify our next Senior Coach. Football Director Mark Ricciuto and myself will be joined by former player, coach and administrator James Podsiadly and four-time Olympian and coaching mentor Phil Smyth. We are now finalising the criteria that will define the standout qualities and skills we will be looking for in candidates and expect to meet with candidates for the first time next week. There will be no shortage of external commentary in and around this decision making process and we will provide you with appropriate updates as quickly as possible once there is meaningful news to share.

Thank you,
Andrew

Ruccuito is the director of football. Burton is the GM of the football department
No, one’s a board position and one’s a staff position.

And to be pedantic: Roo is the Football Director (on the board). He's not the "Director of Football" which would be an executive / management position.

Fagan’s email which I am sure many have received says

“Looking ahead we will soon launch details of a rolling series of Member forums where you will have the opportunity to visit the Club, receive presentations from key administration and football staff on a range of topics while also being provided with ample opportunity to ask questions and provide feedback on topics that are important to you. Stay tuned for more details in coming weeks.”

Anyone on here planning to go along and vent at the club? I am sure it will get quite heated if you club allows an open floor at question time. My guess is you will have to submit questions so they can control the event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fagan’s email which I am sure many have received says

“Looking ahead we will soon launch details of a rolling series of Member forums where you will have the opportunity to visit the Club, receive presentations from key administration and football staff on a range of topics while also being provided with ample opportunity to ask questions and provide feedback on topics that are important to you. Stay tuned for more details in coming weeks.”

Anyone on here planning to go along and vent at the club? I am sure it will get quite heated if you club allows an open floor at question time. My guess is you will have to submit questions so they can control the event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll probably be thrown out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back