Our Team For Round 1 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Michael Voss

"Certainly as a coach you rely on having your best player out there, there's no doubt about that, but we've got to look now at contingencies. We are going to think a little bit outside the box if we need to."

As a lot are talking about Karneizis and Lester as third talls, from what I have seen Lester doesn't play tall. In defence I believe he could use his height well, but forward he plays more like a ground level player.

This could cause match up issues if Voss were to rotate Karneizis and Lester through the forward line. One stretching the opponent in the air, the other more below knees and running.

Whichever of Cornelius or Retzlaff plays, will also dictate Lisle's role. If it's Cornelius, Lisle would play as a CHF, if it's Retzlaff he would be plonked in the square.

In saying all that, the forward set up I would like to see is:

HF: Beams. Retzlaff Green
F: Banfield. Lisle. Karneizis

Then rotate Lester, Luenberger, Polkinghorne and Rockliff through there.

Cornelius would have to have a few big games in the NAB to oust Retzlaff.

Vossy also said he will look to get some experience down there in the forward line. Makes me think Goose or even Rog could be on the cards.

Only other experienced players we have that could play down there are Ash and Patfull so to me it sounds like 1 of these 4 will most likely end up in the forward line come round 1.

Maybe Ash at FF?

If Golby can continue his form then I think Ash will play forward to provide some leadership and experience. Outside of Brown, Ash would have to be the next biggest goal threat on our list - Or at least the most capable of kicking a bag.

I'm not convinced either way in the Retzlaff/Cornelius debate. Structure wise, I think it's more beneficial to let Lisle play his natural position, CHF. If Cornelius has in fact, like reported, improved his engine I would be inclined to lean towards him.

I think form over the next few weeks will decide who starts round 1. Whoever gets the nod must be given an extended run imo.

As a lot are talking about Karneizis and Lester as third talls, from what I have seen Lester doesn't play tall. In defence I believe he could use his height well, but forward he plays more like a ground level player.

I don't think he plays KPP tall but I think he plays his height (as opposed to someone like Collier who never did). Where I think he will stretch sides is that you'll need to put your 3rd defender on him to match his marking (which is adequate rather than elite) but he has an onballer's mentality when the ball hits the deck. The advantage of that, if he plays forward, is that you don't lose much when the ball's on the ground but you also have an adequate marking target. In other words, Lester could even play 4th tall, stretch the opposition height wise but he (and Karny) would still be mobile enough to go with smaller defenders (this is starting to sound like Freddie's land of the giants gameplan!).

This could cause match up issues if Voss were to rotate Karneizis and Lester through the forward line. One stretching the opponent in the air, the other more below knees and running.

I think the advantage both of them have is their mobility vs their marking prowess. Neither of them is probably capable of playing true centre half forward. But they are a difficult match up because they are more agile that the defensive talls and better aerially than the defensive smalls. The fact that there are two of them is even more difficult to match up on - imagine if it were us trying to find the defensive match ups for them. Patfull would probably go to one but then we'd probably either have to use Goose (would get killed on mobility) or Jed (killed in the air).

These guys are not the finished product, mind you. But it is an interesting and I think quite farseeing piece of drafting to get them in.

In saying all that, the forward set up I would like to see is:

HF: Beams. Retzlaff Green
F: Banfield. Lisle. Karneizis

Then rotate Lester, Luenberger, Polkinghorne and Rockliff through there.

Yeah, I'd be comfortable with that.

What odds Goose will play forward while Brown's out?
I know Voss said "think outside the box" but I genuinely hope we don't do this. Same with sending Merrett forward.

In terms of Voss saying we need more experience in the forward line, I think the obvious answer is moving Ash into a forward pocket and have him start deep alongside a Lisle/Cornelius type.

That leaves a hole in the likely defensive line up. It might be a case of returning Hanley to the backline to fill that hole, allowing someone like Polec to start on the wing.

From a couple of training sessions & the intraclub I saw Retzy looked a lot better with his hands. Is a fair sized unit now & boasts a big petrol tank. I would be inclined to trial him at CHF this week, with Lisle out of the square & Ash in the pocket.. We could end up with a pretty mobile forward line.

Gotta be worth a try in preparation for rd. 1.

From a couple of training sessions & the intraclub I saw Retzy looked a lot better with his hands. Is a fair sized unit now & boasts a big petrol tank. I would be inclined to trial him at CHF this week, with Lisle out of the square & Ash in the pocket.. We could end up with a pretty mobile forward line.

Gotta be worth a try in preparation for rd. 1.

Yep. I would love to see Retzy get a run in the next 2 weeks to push for a permanent spot at CHF. I keep getting such a good feeling from him, and he does look as though he's put some bulk on through his core.

It should be very interesting to see how those talls - Retzy, ACorn and Lisle - do this season. I hope they can all step up, but I'll accept 2 out of 3.

Yep. I would love to see Retzy get a run in the next 2 weeks to push for a permanent spot at CHF. I keep getting such a good feeling from him, and he does look as though he's put some bulk on through his core.

It should be very interesting to see how those talls - Retzy, ACorn and Lisle - do this season. I hope they can all step up, but I'll accept 2 out of 3.

My team on for round 1 is:

B: Patfull, Merrett, StillerHB: Hanley, Maguire, Adcock
C: Rockliff, Black, Rich
FOL: Luenberger, Harwood, Redden
HF: Polkinghorne, Lisle, BeamsF: McGrath, Corneilus, Banfield
INT: Lester, Polec, Hudson; Karneius

Backline:
Patfull is a good defender because he shuts-down opposition players very well and rarely give free kicks away in our defensive 50m zone. In 2011 silly late free kicks cost us the game in the last mins of the game.

Merrett is our best defender, who shuts-down the best opposition forward. If I see Vossy playing Merrett forward this year, like in 2011, when the lions lost to the Suns because our best defender is playing forward and we are leaking goals down back which lost us the game thanks to Crazy Vossy moment, I'm going to be pissed at Vossy.

Stiller will tag the opposition forwards like Betts, Milne, etc since his move down back in 2011 and has a good spoiling technique. This guy is 187cm and has the tank of a midfielder. He is also athlete, but has decent skill set, but he has the afl experience in shutting opposition midfielders like Jobe Watson and Travis Boak successfully and been doing the shut down tagging role very well in 2011.

Hanley and Adcock are the go to guys to lauch counter attacks at opposition due to the fact they have very good skill set, make good descisions and both can impact the scoreboard. I expect both to rotate throught the middle. Hanley adds abit of dash in the midfield and Adcock adds class (like Chris Newman does of Richmond).

Midfield:Rockliff, Redden, Rich all have to win contected ball, tackle, and impact scoreboard. Blacky is a champian, he has to teach the art of winning contested ball to the next generation of our midfielders by leading by example, as he also does. Hopefully he gets another contract in 2013 as player/mentoring role at the club. The club needs to use his experience and knowledge to develop our midfield like with GWS James McDonald and Lukey Power.

Harwood I see him playing a Brad Sewell type tagging role where he tags his opposition, racks up contested ball and impacts the scoreboard, which he done on saturday night.Polec just needs to added the run and carry to the team and impact the scoreboard since he going to rack up 15 or so disposal per game. It's all about getting match fitness and games into this top draft pick to see him develop into an elite line breaking midfielder.

Ruck:Luenberger and Hudson are great ruckman, but both need to impact the scoreboard for the Lions to be a threat.

Forwards:I chose Cornelius because of his marking power up forward. Cornelius has scored more goals then Retaleff last year at the afl level and knows when to lead and take a grab. Since Brown is out and Clark is gone we need all the marking power we got. There was an article on the Lions website this pre-season that he had improve his endurance. Vossy will be judging Cornelius on his ability to add pressure to the forward line. Hopefully he gets an opportunity. If 2012 is another disaster year for him then he probly will be delisted as the Lions will get Tippurt since Suns will have Salary caps issues to keep their young stars from getting poached. WOOW I can't wait!

Lisle will play CHF because he got 11 disposals, presented well, and got couple of score assist. Needs more games in the Nab Cup to build confidence.

Ashley McGrath has the ability to score bags of goals consistently and with Brown out since round 3 or so, Vossy needs new ways to find goals and forward pressure in the forward-line. Banfield needs to add forward pressure and will rotate through the midfield.

Polk's will play HF and will rotate through the midfield. His been at the club for a while, but needs more time to develop consistently in his game. Just remember last time this year all the players are 20-30% fitter, which explains why he is so in consist. Beams can rack up disposals, impact the scoreboard and adds abit of X-factor.

Karneius is the sub because he usually impacts the scoreboard late in the game. We a sub that impacts the scoreboard late in games since the Lions have trouble scoring in dying stage of the game.

Lester can play any position and will rotate around the ground to fill any gaps we need.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Retzy should really do well with his new size and strength. He presented well last year and picked up touches as a lead up forward, but he wasn't able to hold onto the more contested balls, smaller frame, he was just pushed out or disrupted by bigger bodies whilst trying to mark. He should be able to protect the ball with his body a bit better and grab onto a few more marks closer to goal. I think Lisle from the square is the better option, i think he is the best chance at clunking a few within 50 still. I'd also like to see Ace get a run from the square with Lisle as the mobile lead up forward.

The forward line is at a pretty interesting spot this year. It really could go a few different ways with Retzlaff/Lisle/Cornelius but I'm worried that who ever gets pushed out (as Karnesis seems quite set in the forward line) might start looking for a new club at the end of the year.

After last night, here's my round 1 side. Chose Retzy/Acorn over Lisle particularly if we play two rucks. Think we should also give the nod to Longer as the second ruck. Would play McGrath up forward at least until Brown is back.

B. Golby Merrett Stiller
HB. Adcock Maguire Lester
C. Hanley Rich Beams
HF. Banfield Retzlaff Polec
F. Karnezis Cornelius McGrath
Foll. Leuenberger Redden Rockliff
Int. Longer Black Polkinghorne
Sub. Patful
Emerg. Raines Harwood Hawksley

Bringing Golby in and pushing McGrath forward is making more and more sense.

Golby is looking very composed in defence, especially for someone that hasn't played many games. Hopefully he has a chance to play on Betts/Garlett this coming weekend as well.

After last night, here's my round 1 side. Chose Retzy/Acorn over Lisle particularly if we play two rucks. Think we should also give the nod to Longer as the second ruck. Would play McGrath up forward at least until Brown is back.

B. Golby Merrett Stiller
HB. Adcock Maguire Lester
C. Hanley Rich Beams
HF. Banfield Retzlaff Polec
F. Karnezis Cornelius McGrath
Foll. Leuenberger Redden Rockliff
Int. Longer Black Polkinghorne
Sub. Patful
Emerg. Raines Harwood Hawksley

God i hope I'm wrong, but it's going to be a very long year
if we are getting smashed by teams like the crows
saying that, this team feels about rite
will be lucky to kick no more than 8 goals round 1

Ash is a proven goal kicker, is fast and can crumb his own goals, but is a good smart leading forward as well. I think if Golby can keep up his form, it's a no brainer. Play Ash 1 out from the goal square with the 2 'tall' forwards further up the ground.

After last night here is my team for Rd. 1 taking into consideration we are playing Melbourne at the MCG.

B: Golby Merrett Stiller
HB: Lester Patfull Adcock
C: Hanley Black Rockliff
HF: Banfield Lisle Polkinghorne
F: Karnezis McGrath Beams
Foll: Leuey Redden Rich
Int: Harwood Longer Raines
Sub: Polec

I don't think we were good last night but we weren't horrible. We really lacked experience, a defensive structure and a forward line presence. What was most obvious is we had nobody confident enough to lead at the ball in the F50. Adcock, Hanley and Merrett are so important to our structural movement. We had none of them last night and our defense was under the pump because of their ball movement. With these guys in, our defense improves 3 fold.

Golby earns his chance. Clearly our best last night. Allows McGrath to go forward.

Maguire doesn't play, Melbourne have a quick forward line and even if they go tall to expose us it is our backline run that is our strength down there. Patfull is competent enough at CHB.

We need Rockliff tracking back with the space at the 'G (the Demons move the ball well there) and pushing forward as well. I think he needs to play wide to do that.

I thought Lisle was decent last night, took a few marks (dropped a couple too) but is mobile enough and I can see him developing quite well. He needs to lead high up to make a contest to allow us to trap the ball in the forward half and open it up behind him.

McGrath has to play full forward. Need we be reminded what he did to GC in the 2nd half last year. He knows how to use space and is quick on the lead. He is also a very reliable kick for goal. We will have to take advantage of limited opportunities.

I think Longer made enough of an impact around the ground last night to be chosen over Hudson, he is also the better forward target by default out of the 2.

Polec will not be exposed by the coaches on a wing at the 'G but i can see him being more than handy against tired legs late in the game.

Karnezis has to be a doubt but he deserves first crack at a forward line spot.

I can't find a spot for Cornelius or Retzlaff for round 1 based on the location and the opponent, doesnt mean they wont play other games.

He hasn't played yet but I see Zorko being very important to us when he is fit and if he can live up to the hype.

No doubt I have missed a few and will realise later but happy with the look of this team. Lots of flexibility to shift players around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Our Team For Round 1 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Back