Patrick Dangerfield - potential GOAT?

Could Patrick Dangerfield become the greatest player of all time?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

John Dough

Senior List
Nov 13, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
- All Australian
- MVP
- Coaches Award
- Best and Fairest
- Brownlow
- Premiership Player
- Norm Smith

These are his achievements in his first year as a Cat, and he is still only 26 years old!

I know the latter four haven't occured yet, but they're pretty much a formality.

Last night, he was presented with the MVP award, and he sent a shudder down the spines of all the other sides, by saying that he still has a lot of improvement left in his game.

His 48 disposal game against North Melbourne this year was the best game by a midfielder that I've seen since Gary Ablett Snr.

Before anyone shouts me down, yes it was a better game than any game ever played by Gary Ablett Jnr.

I really think that Paddy has all the tools to become the greatest player to have ever played the game.

Note that I say 'potential' in the thread title, and a lot of players don't fulfill their potential, see Jarrad Waite.

Do you think that Patrick Dangerfield could become the GOAT?

Adelaide really got screwed with the compensation they got for him :thumbsdown:

To think that Geelong could have signed him without giving up any draft picks, as he was a free agent.

giphy.gif

Patiently waits from Crows posters to arrive :D

wow how quickly GAJ is forgotten by some.

GAJ won 5 MVP's in a 7 year period and has probably had about 3 seasons that were better than Dangers 16 season

Biased hat on, I think Fyfe has him covered. Especially 1 on 1. Danger played his best game of the season last year v Fyfe and Fyfe still beat him. Fyfe is also a fair bit younger.

This has been Danger's first season where he has really dominated the competition. Matthews, Carey, Ablett Snr, Ablett Jnr, Judd, Diesel, etc. did it for many years.

might be the greatest season ever by a player. but i personally think his skills aren't quite polished enough to ever be the goat.
Ablett 2010 averaged 31.5 disposals and kicked a lazy 44 goals

Ablett 2010 averaged 31.5 disposals and kicked a lazy 44 goals
yeah that's not a bad season either. but IF dangerfield sweeps every possible winnable award including norm smith and flag then it'd certainly be serious discussion to be had.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah that's not a bad season either. but IF dangerfield sweeps every possible winnable award including norm smith and flag then it'd certainly be serious discussion to be had.
yeah if he sweeps every possible individual honour it will be hard to argue with, however winning the premiership will mean **** all in the comparison.

Either way if he does this for the next 5-7 years then maybe we can have the discussion of greatest ever player.

I swear this board is full of kids who have not even seen the greats of the 90's and early 00's and think ever great season by a player is the best ever

You lost me at "formality". Best and Fairest, probably. Brownlow, highly likely. Premiership and Norm Smith. Give it a rest. No formality about those last two.

Danger is a great player and is certainly an accumulator but he's got a long way to go to be considered GOAT. Bigfooty has the memory of a goldfish.

It's a tall order. GAJ has him easily covered at the same age and he remained the best in the game until he was 30 years old.

Dangerfield and Fyfe are the two best midfielders in the game right now - I view Fyfe's 2015 and Dangerfield's 2016 season as effectively being even - but I don't think either season matches up to the best of GAJ.

Remove this Banner Ad

Patrick Dangerfield - potential GOAT?

Back