Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 160 28.5%
  • No

Votes: 402 71.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

i reckon you could make a case GAJ was the most heavily tagged player of all time

N.Buckkey would win that.

Gaz jnr played fwd for near 6 seasons, then yes had a few years in tag centric but around 2010 tagging started making way a bit for run with roles. Then got phased out for team defense.
By the time gaz was at GC he was barely being tagged by most sides it was either a run with or team defense vs him at GC.
I do concede 07 to 11 he was tagged more frequently, I let his GC days distort my memory.

Lol what? Tagging was far more common in abletts era then today. Geelongs captain was literally a tagger. During his peak ablett was tagged nearly every week by the likes of kane cornes, clint jones/baker from the saints, ryan crowley from the dockers, brady rawlings at north etc. Im pretty sure the crows had a tagger they used to bring into the team solely to play on ablett. Pies may of been the exception. Not the rule.
Melbournes captain also - James McDonald tagged Judd, Ablett, and all the other top midfielders. That was his primary role.

Much less tagging happening now, more about zones.

Gaz jnr played fwd for near 6 seasons, then yes had a few years in tag centric but around 2010 tagging started making way a bit for run with roles. Then got phased out for team defense.
By the time gaz was at GC he was barely being tagged by most sides it was either a run with or team defense vs him at GC.
I do concede 07 to 11 he was tagged more frequently, I let his GC days distort my memory.
Buckley spent most of his career playing a kick away from the ball as a link-up player. To compare him to the greats is laughable.

You're cooked champ. Delete your account - football analysis is not for you.

This has to be a troll

When it’s all going wrong… DOUBLE DOWN!

So there were taggers back then
There has always been taggers. Players used to use it as a badge of honour to be tagged.

Taggers went out of fashion for a 4-5 year period but have always somewhat been part of our game.

There are only a handful that are dangerous enough to tag in todays game, Daicos is one of those players.

I think he is starting to work his way through them, probably another pre-season or 2 in the gym away from really becoming the competitions best player.

Make no mistake the young man needs to get used to it as he won’t probably play another game at AFL level without some sort of tag/attention.

There has always been taggers. Players used to use it as a badge of honour to be tagged.

Taggers went out of fashion for a 4-5 year period but have always somewhat been part of our game.

There are only a handful that are dangerous enough to tag in todays game, Daicos is one of those players.

I think he is starting to work his way through them, probably another pre-season or 2 in the gym away from really becoming the competitions best player.

Make no mistake the young man needs to get used to it as he won’t probably play another game at AFL level without some sort of tag/attention.

He won't be tagged every game, and attention is just another word for, close checking disciplined midfields

Bit more size certainly could help, but it's a mindset/characteristic that goatie is lacking

He and his brother (and father for that matter) don’t have the genetics to sustain a high amount of muscle mass

He’s never going to be a strong, crash and bash mid but he doesn’t need to be

He just needs a bit more experience in working through the tag - he gets himself free a lot with his elite (and I mean probably the best in the comp) agility. He then tends to miss the kick, might just be going too quick when he disposes of it.

I really think the fix is even simpler than a strength or fitness thing. He’s been strong enough and fit enough since day one. It’s just a mentality thing. He is doing great though.

It would be very challenging.

Was referring to mainly his time at GC. Gaz also played mostly fwd till end 06. 07-10 mid at cats yes he was tagged by some teams, again they also had head to head match ups.
Ed Curnow made a career of running midfielders off their feet with his 5:50 2k time trial and he played all of his career from 2011

Tagging only really went out of vogue in 2018/2019

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ed Curnow made a career of running midfielders off their feet with his 5:50 2k time trial and he played all of his career from 2011

Tagging only really went out of vogue in 2018/2019

Certain teams like Carlton Port Freo held that role longer then others post 2010. Others had part timers, or run with types and started transition towards that team defense and backing a group to beat the star on output.

Anyway the original comment was lazy by myself and should had more explanation from get go.

Certain teams like Carlton Port Freo held that role longer then others post 2010. Others had part timers, or run with types and started transition towards that team defense and backing a group to beat the star on output.

Anyway the original comment was lazy by myself and should had more explanation from get go.
We can all be a bit lazy sometimes, no harm done mate

Why does Goatie seem to go missing every time the pressure ramps up and contested ball beasts start firing? Just seems to skirt around waiting for ball to come to him while Heeney, Cripps, Bontempelli etc go to work and get the thing ??
Every time?????

There are multiple examples where he gets to work when the match is on the line but surely you remember this one. Round 8 2024. It was a massive H&A crowd for Carlton, 88000+, 2nd biggest home crowd in your clubs history and a fairly big crowd for Collingwood. Baggar supporters came with massive expectation. It was a match that lived up to expectation. Tough and hard all night. Scores level with 1 min to go. One player had stood head and shoulders above all night. Ended with 32 possies, 17 kicks, 7 tackles, 7 clearance, 7 inside 50's, 2 goals, 626 m gained, 3 tackles inside 50. Obviously got the 10 coaches votes and will get the 3 brownlow votes.

However it was the last min when this player took it on himself, put the gallant Cripps and Walsh to the sword, kicked a spectacular winning goal then took the ball away from Cripps in the last stoppage.

Was Nick missing in the heat of action that night ?? Or was he the match winner???

Refresh your memory if you have a wise amnesia

Looking just at the last two years, he is up there but there is one man that stands alone at the top. His name is the Bont.

It's just not talked about as much because everyone expects that consistent level from him.
Bont is the current best and Neale pretty close. They have a longevity to demand that status

The last 2 years could arguably be Bont but he doesnt stand alone. Daicos is right in that conversation

Case for Daicos

Prior to injury he led the Brownlow, AFLCA award and Collingwood B&F
No injury and he definitely wins Coll B&F and likely Brownlow and AFLCA
Came back early from fractured tibia in finals and placed 3rd in Norm Smith ( WalshistheGOAT this is a big match)
Was clearly best votes per games played in the Brownlow, AFLCA and Coll B&F to back up concept he was unlucky not to win all 3
AA team
He places in all these awards and he and Bont are the only ones to finish top 3 in both Brownlow and AFLCA, Daicos scores more votes per game in both awards compared to Bont

Only major award we have info on at this point is the AFLCA which he leads
Expect he is high placed in the Brownlow currently
Would be a major upset if he doesnt win Coll B&F this year
Ditto AA

Only award we can do cumulative votes for over the 2 seasons is the aflca and Daicos clearly leads that.

Daicos 198
Bont 186
Butters 177
Serong 176
Rozee 166
Cripps 155

I know posters here are going with the Fly cheats argument and they dont rate the awards but thats just being salty. On any objective assessment Daicos is right in the discussion of best player of the last 2 seasons and my guess is he would win that vote if it was taken.

Every time?????

There are multiple examples where he gets to work when the match is on the line but surely you remember this one. Round 8 2024. It was a massive H&A crowd for Carlton, 88000+, 2nd biggest home crowd in your clubs history and a fairly big crowd for Collingwood. Baggar supporters came with massive expectation. It was a match that lived up to expectation. Tough and hard all night. Scores level with 1 min to go. One player had stood head and shoulders above all night. Ended with 32 possies, 17 kicks, 7 tackles, 7 clearance, 7 inside 50's, 2 goals, 626 m gained, 3 tackles inside 50. Obviously got the 10 coaches votes and will get the 3 brownlow votes.

However it was the last min when this player took it on himself, put the gallant Cripps and Walsh to the sword, kicked a spectacular winning goal then took the ball away from Cripps in the last stoppage.

Was Nick missing in the heat of action that night ?? Or was he the match winner???

Refresh your memory if you have a wise amnesia

Walshy they say it’s better to laugh than cry.

Bucks believes Kouta was the player he played against
It always feels like we over rate premier mids
Very few have performed at an exceptional standard for an extended period of time

Petracca early was average

What's the story behind Nicky's disappearing act the last few weeks when the whips have started cracking?
Think its fair to say his form has dropped a bit the last 6 weeks. He was coming off an exceptional run round 8-16 where he torched the competition over an 8 week period.

Still a bit of a drop of for that time still correlates to him being Collingwoods best player through that time. Averaging 30.3 possessions, 14.3 contested, 9.3 clearances etc . Those numbers compared to the comp season averages would have him leading clearances, 2nd in contested possessions and 3rd in possessions.

Its not really a disappearing act is it. He looks a bit tired and he hasnt been able to majorly influence the end of matches like he has done so frequently in career to date. Thats the change.

Other objective marker you can look at is Brownlow votes per game. Its always been the best way to look at the Brownlow to assess great players and it works really well as a guide to the great mids

Daicos is after 2 seasons on 0.93 votes per game. Only Haydon Bunton and Graham Moss have better records. None of the modern great mids match it even though Daicos has only 2 seasons worth of votes, a period of time that ususally coincides with a player getting very few votes.

End of 2024 he is a good chance to join Bunton as the only player averaging a vote a game or better. That is a pretty amazing stat. Most of the Brownlow predictors have him getting the 26 votes he need to achieve that

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Back