Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 160 28.5%
  • No

Votes: 402 71.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Right... So a player actually played an accountable brand of footy? I can understand you're not used to that watching Nick play but it's fairly common practice for any midfielder worth their salt
its nothing unusual but Hewett had a clear role to stop Daicos at stoppages and in the 2nd half especially he did it very well. Not sure why you would have any questioning of that. He was very good and stopped Daicos from having the same influence he had in the 1st half.

it appears fly gave nick 5v and voss gave him donuts, id be surprised if it was the other way around :oops:
You may well be right but we don't know. The background in this thread is a few of the Carlton/Hawthorn posters are convinced whenever Daicos gets votes where you can work out a discrepancy from coach to coach they believe it is always McRae giving him the higher amount of votes. They believe McRae is deliberately cheating to get Daicos the award.

Even though up to this round it has been pointed out there is much more variation in the votes Cripps has got from coach to coach (and I believe this is completely fair and just normal variation) they still believe McRae is cheating and Daicos should be on a much lower total of votes.

P.S on my judging of the game I would have been happy with giving Daicos no votes but it was a match with few standouts, to me Cripps the only one, so I think a vote or 2 would have been ok also. Wouldn;t have him with 3, 4or 5.

its nothing unusual but Hewett had a clear role to stop Daicos at stoppages and in the 2nd half especially he did it very well. Not sure why you would have any questioning of that. He was very good and stopped Daicos from having the same influence he had in the 1st half.
Hewett was hunting the ball all night. Pies fans like yourself are living in a false reality if you think otherwise.

33 touches, 20 contested, 12 Clearances, 11 score involvements, 2 GAs with 63% of his touches in the fwd half of the ground.

No player in the history of the game has numbers like that if they're playing a shut down role

Hewett was hunting the ball all night. Pies fans like yourself are living in a false reality if you think otherwise.

33 touches, 20 contested, 12 Clearances, 11 score involvements, 2 GAs with 63% of his touches in the fwd half of the ground.

No player in the history of the game has numbers like that if they're playing a shut down role
Maybe you are too young now taggers have been out of vogue for a few years so you never saw the ones who stopped players while racking up disposals. Look up players like Cameron Ling, Kieren Jack, Brett Kirk, Kane Cornes etc etc and you may change the above opinion.

Hewett wasn't a hard tag but he clearly had a shut down role at stoppage. Players who do that well can still get plenty of the ball. its a real art and one thats coming back.

I have to say you are relentless in your desire to run Daicos down. You wont even accept praise of your own players if it means there may be something in that that takes away from your wish for Daicos to be a scared outside player who has multiple failings

Maybe you are too young now taggers have been out of vogue for a few years so you never saw the ones who stopped players while racking up disposals. Look up players like Cameron Ling, Kieren Jack, Brett Kirk, Kane Cornes etc etc and you may change the above opinion.

Hewett wasn't a hard tag but he clearly had a shut down role at stoppage. Players who do that well can still get plenty of the ball. its a real art and one thats coming back.

I have to say you are relentless in your desire to run Daicos down. You wont even accept praise of your own players if it means there may be something in that that takes away from your wish for Daicos to be a scared outside player who has multiple failings
He actually rates Naicos. He only does this to get a rise out of us IMO.

Standing next to an opponent at a stoppage and then pushing them away off the ball so you can get it yourself is not tagging. Pies fans will literally do anything to build Nicky into something he's not - THE GOAT

And yes I did watch plenty of Ling, Jack, Kirk and Cornes, Crowley, Ben Jacobs etc. They were mostly fantastic players in their own right but there was a massive difference between how they played against GAJ or Judd types compared to when they played against just regularly good mids - where they played far less defensively and focused more on winning the ball themselves.

Ones tagging, ones playing sensible footy.

Standing next to an opponent at a stoppage and then pushing them away off the ball so you can get it yourself is not tagging. Pies fans will literally do anything to build Nicky into something he's not - THE GOAT

And yes I did watch plenty of Ling, Jack, Kirk and Cornes, Crowley, Ben Jacobs etc. They were mostly fantastic players in their own right but there was a massive difference between how they played against GAJ or Judd types compared to when they played against just regularly good mids - where they played far less defensively and focused more on winning the ball themselves.

Nick was tagging Hewitt.
Of course pies fans will never admit this scenario
Happy Ryan Gosling GIF by Warner Bros. Deutschland

Ok just to make you happy. I have already said I wouldn’t give Daicos votes on Saturday night. Is it to much to say I wouldn’t argue with someone who had him 4th or 5th best.

However now you have pointed it out I realise Carlton didn’t put any work into Daicos at stoppage and treated him just as though he was any other player. No one was interested in keeping more of an eye on him at stoppage compared to any other Collingwood player. Can’t imagine why I thought Voss would have any particular interest in Daicos in his game plan. Thanks for the education.

Ok just to make you happy. I have already said I wouldn’t give Daicos votes on Saturday night. Is it to much to say I wouldn’t argue with someone who had him 4th or 5th best.

However now you have pointed it out I realise Carlton didn’t put any work into Daicos at stoppage and treated him just as though he was any other player. No one was interested in keeping more of an eye on him at stoppage compared to any other Collingwood player. Can’t imagine why I thought Voss would have any particular interest in Daicos in his game plan. Thanks for the education.

Vossy's not the sharpest. I'm assuming Hewett came up with the idea himself, unfortunately Hewett forgot to tell Walshisagoat so it didn't really happen.

Isaac Heeney’s son

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Twice in two weeks he has completely gone to water in final terms against better midfields.

Its a horrible trait.

When the going gets tough, he evaporates.

He looked weak tonight against a rampaging Heeney and Warner. They showed there's another level to this that he still needs to find.

Wouldnt have polled again tonight, he wont be there in the finish for the brownlow.

He looked weak tonight against a rampaging Heeney and Warner. They showed there's another level to this that he still needs to find.

Warner has been in the system a couple years longer while Heeney is now 28.

Daicos needs another couple of preseasons in the gym. That shot on goal where it was just short and juggled over the line for a behind, those will be clearing the line in the coming years.

Still get the 5 from Fly this week?
I'm keen to see how this plays out.

Heeney should get the 10. He was unbelievable. I thought Sydney had a few really good players but also a lot of ordinary players who got the job done by keeping in touch and doing the job when it counted.

Daicos didn't really do much for me tonight.

25 disposals and only 268m gained. He really does not move the ball forward much.
3 score involvements, 8 turnovers

It was a poor man's Tom Mitchell kind of game

Warner has been in the system a couple years longer while Heeney is now 28.

Daicos needs another couple of preseasons in the gym. That shot on goal where it was just short and juggled over the line for a behind, those will be clearing the line in the coming years.

But the talk early on in this thread is that hes the best player in comp and could be the GOAT??

Both those Sydney boys are in front of him at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Back