Patrick Dangerfield - potential GOAT?

Could Patrick Dangerfield become the greatest player of all time?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The reality is that danger could be the goat

But to be the goat he needs to beat the goat so all he needs is

4 norm smith medals
3 Gary ayres medals
3 more flags

So I guess it is possible
He certainly has Martin covered for longevity.
34 years old and still a game breaker.
I reckon he'll win another flag before he's done too, and possibly a Norm Smith.

He certainly has Martin covered for longevity.
34 years old and still a game breaker.
I reckon he'll win another flag before he's done too, and possibly a Norm Smith.
Yep he is on target for sure , just needs to play another 300 games and he will be able to do probably half of what dusty has done in two careers 👍

Correct, he will have to play that many more games to even come close to winning a wooden spoon.
Nah this was talking about the three norm smith medals , three flags and three Gary ayres medals . Also never lost a final to Geelong , which unfortunately for danger means he has never ever won a final against Richmond after three tries

Keep punching

What stopped him from being the goat:

Poor finals record aside from 2022
Poor kicking efficiency
Another 2 years of his 2016-2017 prime - his 2017 ranking points were the highest ever since they started recording
Another flag or two

Pre 2022 in finals he was in his head to much, lots of diving, smug in media, when he smiled at dusty at HT in the GF he lost the game then and there. In 2022 he just played football, no antics and won the ayres medal. Figures this out too late. Not only that Scott had an obsession with playing him forward in big games.

What stopped him from being the goat:

Poor finals record aside from 2022
Poor kicking efficiency
Another 2 years of his 2016-2017 prime - his 2017 ranking points were the highest ever since they started recording
Another flag or two

Pre 2022 in finals he was in his head to much, lots of diving, smug in media, when he smiled at dusty at HT in the GF he lost the game then and there. In 2022 he just played football, no antics and won the ayres medal. Figures this out too late. Not only that Scott had an obsession with playing him forward in big games.

Biggest issue for danger is that he ran into dusty in finals

There are levels to greatness, unfortunately for him, he got well beaten by some one a lot better

If there was no dusty, dangers career could of been scary

The reality is that danger could be the goat

But to be the goat he needs to beat the goat so all he needs is

4 norm smith medals
3 Gary ayres medals
3 more flags

So I guess it is possible
Funny! Dusty isn’t GOAT even with those accolades. He’s just a great finals player.

Interesting too that you don’t include AA, MVP, B&F’s in your criteria...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Underrated player, gatekeeper to tier 1 players if the modern era.

Yes I do rate him higher than Pendlebury and Bont. His resume speaks for itself.

My top 5 since 2000:

1. Dusty

2. Judd

3. GAJ

4. Buddy

5. Danger

Not the greatest but has the most votes per game average of any player to of played 300 games in the Brownlow and a big chance to become the all time leader of Brownlow votes as well. Needs 18 more to pass Gary Ablett jnr.
An amazing career and in the two games back it’s so noticeable how his relentless and powerful attack on the football can swing a game.

I'm not sure why this thread was revived. Clearly nowhere near GOAT status. Damn fine player, and for a long time. Was the best in the game for a season or two... but nowhere near GOAT.

As I've said in other GOAT threads, working backwards the contenders are Ablett Jr, Carey, Lethal,...

I'm not sure why this thread was revived. Clearly nowhere near GOAT status. Damn fine player, and for a long time. Was the best in the game for a season or two... but nowhere near GOAT.

As I've said in other GOAT threads, working backwards the contenders are Ablett Jr, Carey, Lethal,...
8 All Australians and currently the player with the most Brownlow points differently than only being good for a couple of seasons.

Back