Patrick Dangerfield - potential GOAT?

Could Patrick Dangerfield become the greatest player of all time?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

giphy.gif

Patiently waits from Crows posters to arrive :D

Amazing how "John Dough" the "Hawthorn supporter" who started this thread was never again seen on Big Footy after starting this thread Sept 14th, 2016

One of your aliases, by any chance? :$

Nah our fwd line is much better, both talent wise and strategic wise. Mids yeah lions is better.

Backs I don’t think so but it’s debatable , we have Rance up our sleeve and a much more attacking backline. Back then it was more lockdown. Overall team wise an attacking HB line is better.

Also you are forgetting they cannot bully us due to giving away to many free kick. So they lost their advantage back then so it’s another advantage to us.

We won a whole season away including beating the minor premiers interstate. Lions didn’t do anything like that.

Do you acknowledge the fact Lethal said we are better, you know the actual coach of that team? Doesn’t factor into your decision making at all?

You know that Alistair Lynch averaged 3 goals a game once he was switched to full forward, yeah?
Bradshaw averaged 2 across 00-04

Tom Lynch kicked 95 goals from 44 games after arriving at Richmond
Riewoldt kicked 181 from 81 across their peak.

I’m not sure how you arrive at the conclusion that even Richmond’s forward line is as good as Brisbane’s considering the best performed key forward in either side is a Lion and Bradshaw is only marginally behind the two Richmond guys.

Pound for pound they’d smoke you, same as they would most flag sides of the last quarter century.

Why has a discussion about Dangerfield turned into an argument about Richmond V Brisbane, a topic which has been flogged to death over about 400 pages in the Greatest Dynasty thread?

You know that Alistair Lynch averaged 3 goals a game once he was switched to full forward, yeah?
Bradshaw averaged 2 across 00-04

Tom Lynch kicked 95 goals from 44 games after arriving at Richmond
Riewoldt kicked 181 from 81 across their peak.

I’m not sure how you arrive at the conclusion that even Richmond’s forward line is as good as Brisbane’s considering the best performed key forward in either side is a Lion and Bradshaw is only marginally behind the two Richmond guys.

Pound for pound they’d smoke you, same as they would most flag sides of the last quarter century.

Well their coach thinks otherwise champ. Do you like being wrong or something?

Well their coach thinks otherwise champ. Do you like being wrong or something?

Does that make it correct does it?

Or is it the word ‘champ’ that makes it correct?

Or the fact that Matthews himself was probably speaking on the supposition that in modern day conditions yes they probably would lose to Richmond?

So many choices.

Next someone will say that the 2022 Cats would beat the 80s Hawks.

Well knock me down with a feather.

Of course they would. That doesn’t a) make us better than the 80s Hawks and b) on a level playing field, mean we would beat them in that scenario either.

The 80s Hawks would clobber us in a pound for pound scenario.

Reading some of the posts in here I’m not certain even the term ‘pound for pound’ is fully understood.

Does that make it correct does it?

Or is it the word ‘champ’ that makes it correct?

Or the fact that Matthews himself was probably speaking on the supposition that in modern day conditions yes they probably would lose to Richmond?

So many choices.

Yep it does, he’s the coach of the team. Everybody else’s opinion means f all.

Next someone will say that the 2022 Cats would beat the 80s Hawks.

Well knock me down with a feather.

Of course they would. That doesn’t a) make us better than the 80s Hawks and b) on a level playing field, mean we would beat them in that scenario either.

The 80s Hawks would clobber us in a pound for pound scenario.

Reading some of the posts in here I’m not certain even the term ‘pound for pound’ is fully understood.

When AFL legends speak you listen. The fact Lethal doesn’t have your train of thought in regards to comparing past teams it should give you a hint that your thought pattern is wrong.

For the people playing at home.

It might sound sacrilegious to say it but there is every chance that Tyson Fury would absolutely mop the floor with Muhammad Ali. He looks like a pasty white and slightly overweight security guard but the man is a superb boxer, as tough as they come, and would have an incredible level of fitness. Furthermore he would be as strong as an ox, and you don’t get to be as good as he is, without studying your opponents to the nth degree.

If he fought Ali, he would destroy him.

But that’s not how it works - or not for most normal people anyway.

When comparing the two and determining who is the better boxer - and by extension who would win if they fought, the supposition is made that Ali too would have access to video analysis, modern sparring facilities and weights, training methods, supplements, 12 round fights rather than being conditioned to last 15, etc etc.
Suddenly the idea of Fury towelling him up doesn’t seem so straightforward.

Not being able to wrap one’s head around this notion is not my problem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the people playing at home.

It might sound sacrilegious to say it but there is every chance that Tyson Fury would absolutely mop the floor with Muhammad Ali. He looks like a pasty white and slightly overweight security guard but the man is a superb boxer, as tough as they come, and would have an incredible level of fitness. Furthermore he would be as strong as an ox, and you don’t get to be as good as he is, without studying your opponents to the nth degree.

If he fought Ali, he would destroy him.

But that’s not how it works - or not for most normal people anyway.

When comparing the two and determining who is the better boxer - and by extension who would win if they fought, the supposition is made that Ali too would have access to video analysis, modern sparring facilities and weights, training methods, supplements, 12 round fights rather than being conditioned to last 15, etc etc.
Suddenly the idea of Fury towelling him up doesn’t seem so straightforward.

Not being able to wrap one’s head around this notion is not my problem.

Who wins 4peat pies or 2023 Pies?

Who wins 4peat pies or 2023 Pies?

Pound for pound? I never watched the four peat pies so how do I know. They also won some of their comps in a four team comp did they not?

West coast of 2023 probably beats the Crows of 97-98 under your frankly rather bizarre insistence on not accounting for any level of conditional relativity but we all know who wins an imagined clash between the two don’t we.

Pound for pound? I never watched the four peat pies so how do I know. They also won some of their comps in a four team comp did they not?

West coast of 2023 probably beats the Crows of 97-98 under your frankly rather bizarre insistence on not accounting for any level of conditional relativity but we all know who wins an imagined clash between the two don’t we.

Ok I’m not discussing this anymore. This is obviously a troll. You think a team from 100 years ago could compete today. How do you even know how good they would be? Answer is you don’t and are just guessing. That’s why experts don’t think like you.

Ok I’m not discussing this anymore. This is obviously a troll. You think a team from 100 years ago could compete today. How do you even know how good they would be? Answer is you don’t and are just guessing. That’s why experts don’t think like you.

Calling someone a troll merely because they understand a concept at a deeper level than you is not a statement.

Yes a team 100 years ago given all the same circumstances as the team they come up against could, for all I know, compete.

Don Bradman has not picked up a cricket bad for 75 years.

If he played the modern game and grew up in the 90s and developed in the 2000s I don’t doubt that he would still be the greatest batsman of all time either.

Sue me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Patrick Dangerfield - potential GOAT?

Back