2nds Peel Thunder 2024 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

That is my whole point - he dominated VFL and is an uber dominator at WAFL level.
I haven't watched any VFL to really know I suppose but didn't he kick 50 goals there last year?

Anywhere, pretty happy to pick him up. Like Sharp, I'd sign him up on a good deal for 4 years. No way we are getting a better depth / role player than him at such a good age

Man the class difference between Simpson and Emmett perfectly shown with that last disposal from Simpson
Very true. In saying that Simpson needs some of Emmett’s hunger for the contest.

Emmett time after time seems to just put himself under pressure. I know there were some poor handballs out to him but once it hit the ground there was always a sense of this is going to get messy or ugly. He just isn’t clean. Compare that to Simpson and in space he is clean and makes very composed decisions. You can’t teach that sort stuff.

Hopefully with a bit more size and confidence Simpson will go into contests harder. Emmett chucks his body around with reckless disregard. Some of tackles were awesome. I just don’t know if Emmett will improve the cleanness and composure stuff.

I haven't watched any VFL to really know I suppose but didn't he kick 50 goals there last year?

Anywhere, pretty happy to pick him up. Like Sharp, I'd sign him up on a good deal for 4 years. No way we are getting a better depth / role player than him at such a good age
30 goals in 2023. He did win B&F.

I like Voss. He needs to watch 100 replays of that last mark on the lead from Wilson. Wilson did bugger all really (2 beautiful long goals), but that mark on the lead that he took full speed arms out in front was just amazing. Voss marks up on the chest way too much. If Wilson tried to chest that there is a spoil. Even if he drops the mark with hands out front he needs to keep trying.

Last year the thing about Amiss that got me most excited was the old school lead at the ball carrier and mark the ball out in front on the lead.

Voss has been an astute selection. I’m sure I read that when he was part of GWS academy and playing in the lower leagues at that time he was playing midfield. So forward line craft may take him a little longer to develop but he is developing nicely for mine.

He had a few moments he’d like to forget. Especially going half arsed with one hand when ball was kicked on his head. One thing he did do consistently though is use the ball well by foot.

I found a few of them (minus Emmett and Grey) just stood around not wanting to get their hands dirty. That included Simpson and Stanley.

Emmett still a bit messy at times but he puts his head over the ball and great tacking pressure. Had a decent game.

Simpson just a little timid for the contest. Good example was in the last quarter a high ball that he didn’t go hard for and the smaller West Perth player Hinder?? Put his body on the line and took a good defensive mark. Another moment soon after the ball was in the middle of some players in front of Simpson and he pulled back and let the West get to the ball first. Not long after we saw the very best of Cooper - running full speed onto a bouncing ball, taking a bounce at the same time as a nice side step composing himself lowering the eyes and positioning the ball perfectly for Voss.

Cooper needs a good solid pre-season to put on some size and get hungrier for the contest but there is a good long term player there.

Also can we please have posters stop pushing for Delean to be promoted to AFL. No where near it. Those same posters need to actually watch some Peel games. He has some tricks but we need to be patient with him and let him develop in the WAFL. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him dropped to reserves to be honest.
I have to admit, I've always been unsure why so many are so high on Delean. I don't think I've seen much of anything to suggest hes an AFL small forward but obviously happy to give him time

I have to admit, I've always been unsure why so many are so high on Delean. I don't think I've seen much of anything to suggest hes an AFL small forward but obviously happy to give him time
There are some nuggets of gold. The odd speccy, cracking goal on the run. Todays game hemmed up on the boundary with Stanley (first quarter) he did a nice little side step and dance move to get himself enough space to then kick a neat pass to the Peel fella (Can’t remember his name) who missed the shot at goal. He has some tricks you see him around the place on the screen but just doesn’t do much nor get the pill.

Either way a stint in the reserves wouldn’t be the worst thing for him.

Last edited:

I like Voss. He needs to watch 100 replays of that last mark on the lead from Wilson. Wilson did bugger all really (2 beautiful long goals), but that mark on the lead that he took full speed arms out in front was just amazing. Voss marks up on the chest way too much. If Wilson tried to chest that there is a spoil. Even if he drops the mark with hands out front he needs to keep trying.

Last year the thing about Amiss that got me most excited was the old school lead at the ball carrier and mark the ball out in front on the lead.

Voss has been an astute selection. I’m sure I read that when he was part of GWS academy and playing in the lower leagues at that time he was playing midfield. So forward line craft may take him a little longer to develop but he is developing nicely for mine.
Apologies BeinPurplenGreen thought he kicked 50, big difference to 30. Thing about Voss to me is he seems to have genuine forward class, do agree about that cheating too much though, should be easy enough to iron out.

Thing about today that excited me most was the ground ball pick up and goals. Suggests there is some mobility and athleticism growth there which I se the biggest thing stopping him being an AFL player.

100% agree. His habit of marking on the chest meant the ball was spoiled at AFL level when he had his chances. Needs to spend all summer marking it out in front.

Not sure where Williams was playing today, but if it was forward he might be an interesting watch, if they keep him for another year. Wonder if there is any chance he starts off as a small forward. Certainly quick and skillful enough. It's just his body size.

Apologies BeinPurplenGreen thought he kicked 50, big difference to 30. Thing about Voss to me is he seems to have genuine forward class, do agree about that cheating too much though, should be easy enough to iron out.

Thing about today that excited me most was the ground ball pick up and goals. Suggests there is some mobility and athleticism growth there which I se the biggest thing stopping him being an AFL player.
That first goal of his was a very nice ground ball pick-up.

He didn’t really have a full pre-season with us so can only expect further improvement. He has now kicked 15 goals in 5 WAFL games.

There are some nuggets of gold. The odd speccy, cracking goal on the run. Todays game hemmed up on the boundary with Stanley (first quarter) he did a nice little side step and dance move to get himself enough space to then kick a neat pass to the Peel fella (Can’t remember his name) who kicked Peel’s first goal. He has some tricks you see him around the place on the screen but just doesn’t do much nor get the pill.

Either way a stint in the reserves wouldn’t be the worst thing for him.
Yeah but that's nice but not what gets AFL smalls a gig. Borh work rate and speed are non-negotiables unless you have the class of Walters and I don't see much of either.

Not sure where Williams was playing today, but if it was forward he might be an interesting watch, if they keep him for another year. Wonder if there is any chance he starts off as a small forward. Certainly quick and skillful enough. It's just his body size.
Delean hasn’t kicked a goal in his last 3 games and only 1 tackle per game for the last three weeks. Perhaps a straight swap Conrad Williams for Jack Delean. Delean has lost some confidence it seems.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The concern I have with Voss (that hopefully doesn't eventuate) is that realistically there should be a bunch of teams who are willing and able to offer a far easier road to consistent seniors football than we can. There are teams where Voss would be the best young key fwd, here he's not top 3.

I'd be stoked if Voss re-signs here, but I'd also think "Are teams not doing their homework?"

Does show some class when he gets the ball but think he needs to improve contested ball, but still young so can improve
Maybe I’m overrating him a bit but Voss just seems like just such a better value option than McDonald up forward.
How Roo's didn't pick him up is completely beyond me. Just another query on the worst list management ever seen

It's also quite likely Voss' improved form compared to last season is related to having a second chance at footy which can be a huge motivator for some players and being a young key forward who will typically improve as their body matures.
Voss seems to love Freo and the second chance he has been given. I’m sure he understands his position in the pecking order and the fact is he has been given some opportunities that he didn’t get at Bombers. We have Treacy/Amiss/Jackson. When one of those or Darcy are injured he is next cab off the rank. He will get opportunities. If necessary we upgrade him to primary list at the expense of Tabs who looks totally cooked for mine.

Imgine the outcry if Hughes was brought back in

Peel Thunder
PEEL THUNDER
Goals:4 - P Voss 2 - N Wilson, C Tregenza 1 - B Grey, B Bell, T Emmett, M Taberner,
Best:M Sellwood, E Hughes, P Voss, L Reidy

Imgine the outcry if Hughes was brought back in

Peel Thunder
PEEL THUNDER
Goals:4 - P Voss 2 - N Wilson, C Tregenza 1 - B Grey, B Bell, T Emmett, M Taberner,
Best:M Sellwood, E Hughes, P Voss, L Reidy
That's crazy. Brady Grey was the best Peel player by a mile imo. Reidy and Vossy also very good. Thought Sellwood had a good second half. Might change my opinion when i see the replay. Does happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back