2nds Peel Thunder 2024 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Umm, Lachie Schultz ring a bell?

Speaking of Schultz we did not have to redraft him to move him to the rookie list. Had we tried that in a normal season (i.e. non-Covid affected) I honestly think someone would’ve picked him up.

For if we’re going to move players to the rookie list I’d try and find older players (i.e. 24+) that fall outside our best 30 players - don’t really care about their contract status tbh. After that we could start looking at contracted youngsters.

I don’t think whether a player has been previously delisted can realistically form part of our decision making tbh. If they’re inside our top 30 players we don’t want to lose them. It’s as simple as that really and I don’t think you risk needing to redraft them.

Last edited:
Maybe Libba is looking like Erasmus' ceiling and Connor Blakely his floor?

Having a hard nut extractor like Libba on your list who puts his head into the lion's mouth and gets it out to runners is never a bad thing.

I think we have to face the fact that silky skills and decision making/execution may never be Neil's strong suit and concentrate on his one wood, which is getting the hard ball.

Heir apparent for when Fyfe calls it a day, I'd say. But while Fyfe is in the team, I'm not sure you can carry two of those types.
Matt Crouch ceiling and Connor Blakely floor

Would be stunned if he got to the level of Libba, Libba has a great footy brain, something Ras doesn't have

I was just throwing a few options forward.

Not sure how Stanley and NOD are competing for a list spot when one is a rookie list and the other is Primary list.

We haven’t been bothered by Lifetime RFA before and Delean seems miles off it and a long shot to be honest. Happy to defer to better judgement. Probably likely we play out his next season and see how he goes. Happy to retain Sharp on Rookie list.
1. Thats alright, was just pointing out there were a few flaws in your reasoning (Had to assume you were across most of the rules as you were suggesting moving between lists)

2. They're competing because they play the same position and are both OOC, it doesn't really matter what list they are on when Omac is there be demoted at any point (spot on main) and Reidy is surely 99% gone (spot on rookie)

3. We gave Lachie Schultz lifetime FA and it haunted us for years, GWS considered him, then Hawks came sniffing about with $$ and made Lachie open up his views, then obviously the Pies wanted him and we knew he could just walk the next year so basically had to trade him.

Keep in mind that Schultz was moved to the rookie list when not really showing much but very early on in his career, just like the Delean suggestion, its much safer to go someone like Omac who has been to multiple clubs and just sat out a year with injury

Banfield is a second example of us giving a player FA, can walk this year if he wants, yet to see how that plays out

Umm, Lachie Schultz ring a bell?
Yes I’m well aware of Schultz and Banfield and others. My point was they knew the risks associated and went that direction anyway. That is what I meant by not bothered. They knew, then delisted and relisted via rookie list.

On reflection too early to make that call on Delean so let it play out a year first. I’ve seen a lot of Peel and not been impressed so far. Personally Wagner has done enough to stay on the Primary list but I guess Oscar McDonald would be an option to delist and relist as a rookie. He already has free agency status.

They cut away before he kicks it on about 5 of the possessions on that reel. Tells you something. No disputing he got some hard ball, but his limits at this stage are clear. Even then I thought his choice of handball actually often put his teammates under serious pressure.

Still seems like he's a year or two build wise from being able to burst through tackles and cause oppositions genuine concerns, but also without the outside skills to hurt teams in the meantime, while we wait for him to get stronger through the hips.

Can get the pill though no doubt - shame it's mostly dump kicks, sideways 12m chips and handballs to teammates under pressure at this stage.

They cut away before he kicks it on about 5 of the possessions on that reel. Tells you something. No disputing he got some hard ball, but his limits at this stage are clear. Even then I thought his choice of handball actually often put his teammates under serious pressure.

Still seems like he's a year or two build wise from being able to burst through tackles and cause oppositions genuine concerns, but also without the outside skills to hurt teams in the meantime, while we wait for him to get stronger through the hips.

Can get the pill though no doubt - shame it's mostly dump kicks, sideways 12m chips and handballs to teammates under pressure at this stage.
His actual field kicking I think is fine. There was an awful ugly floater he kicked that went back the other way, might've even been on his non-preferred for some strange reason. But other than that, if anything he had some kicks where teammates burnt him by dropping marks i50.

His kicking under pressure is not great, but it's hard to tell in those situations whether the issue is the kicking itself, his judgement or his inability to get separation (lacks acceleration and doesn't have bully ball strength yet), or some combo of the 3.

Goalkicking is pretty trash though, especially for someone who was a fwd at juniors. I swear he had like 4 or 5 set kicks all around 50m out, and the only one that worked out was the one he passed off intentionally, though he had another which should've been an accidental goal assist that Kuek passed off.

I don't think he will make it as a small forward however I see that he has plenty of attributes.

Was wondering how he'd go off half back/back pocket being fed the ball actually.
Yeah the HBF isnt a bad call but I think he could be pretty damn good in that high half forward role. Will be keeping Switta and Freddy honest. Having said that, given the averages touches, doesnt seem like his natural position but I hope at least after another preseason, he'll be ahead of Emmett of first in for injury

Yeah the HBF isnt a bad call but I think he could be pretty damn good in that high half forward role. Will be keeping Switta and Freddy honest. Having said that, given the averages touches, doesnt seem like his natural position but I hope at least after another preseason, he'll be ahead of Emmett of first in for injury
He was looking good before he copped those couple of hard knocks that seemed to dent his confidence.

I agree another pre season to build his body will benefit him immensely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We could assist him with that deficiency by putting him behind the ball.

Dude is rapid and makes good decisions. Averaging 5 tackles a game so must be at least defensively minded - though that is not proof he can defend.

What the actual ****! Is he playing reduced minutes or something?

I’m all for rewarding WAFL form but when you’ve got a guy who’s played good AFL footy and has only been out for two weeks surely you reward the AFL form.
May also be not taking a risk. If he’s not 100%, he shouldn’t be in the squad.

Not a brayshaw or serong who are still better than most at 80%

May also be not taking a risk. If he’s not 100%, he shouldn’t be in the squad.

Not a brayshaw or serong who are still better than most at 80%

The other thing I thought about after making that post is perhaps we want someone who’s going to play a higher TOG which might be a risk for Johnson.

Still think he’s a better footballer than Brodie or Erasmus if he’s at 80% tbh.

They did the same with Walker I suppose. They must figure we are going so well that they give blokes a little scare for their spot taking it careful on the niggle.

Yea, If form was the sole criteria leaving out Walker after a similar timeframe didn’t make much sense either.

Only Walters seems to get eased back through the sub role but I do think Walters is a better sub option than Walker and probably Johnson.

Actually excited to see how Johnno goes in the WAFL, really hope he just tears it apart

Do agree that he should have just been straight in for Fyfe though, feels like we are going in weaker in the AFL this week with this decision, it backfired when we did it with walks...

Any Peel watchers think Cooper Simpson is going to make it as a small forward or mid?

I don't.
Too early to make a call (only a young 18 yold who had to move over from Vic), needs a full pre season but Definately a AFL player ability wise

I actually rate having Johnson come back through WAFL because you’d rather reduce his minutes there instead of the proper hitout incase he has a flair up like Fyfe did with his foot issues rather be safe then sorry

It’s interesting. It’ll be the right call if we win this weekend and Johnson plays a big part in future weeks.

But what if we lose on Sunday by less than a goal then finish say fourth or fifth when the extra win would’ve meant came second? Every game is so important for us from now on because both second spot and even missing the eight altogether remain possible. I feel a win comes close to putting into finals, whilst a loss means a lot needs to go our way to finish second.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds Peel Thunder 2024 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back