2nds Peel Thunder 2024 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

For the majority of the year our midfield has been getting the job done. Brodie has a one Wood in his golf bag and that’s it. We have Serong, Brayshaw, Young, Fyfe, Johnson, Erasmus all ahead of him and Erasmus has played four games and been subbed in or subbed out in each.

Teams are obviously putting a lot of work into countering our clearance work. We either keep losing this battle or come up with new and improved methods.

Having no Fyfe hurt against Essendon. Having no Darcy against Geelong hurt. At the end of the day we were up at 3 quarter time in both games. We also were up at 3 quarter time against Hawks, Port and Carlton.

I like Brodie but reality is that he is further down the line and they have come to that decision over a body of work and exposure. Brodie used to get 35 plus possessions in the GCS reserves team every week.

My bigger concern was not playing Reidy (as replacement for Darcy) and having Worner as sub.

I was extremely impressed with NOD last week. He may have had a few less possessions than Worner but he is the sort of player starting as a sub and working up that can improve our team.

If we do manage to make finals Worner won’t be part of that in my opinion. Aish needed a full game and from the bits and pieces I saw he accounted for himself well at Peel. He will be in the reckoning well ahead of Worner.

Reidy who I think probably isn’t up to regular AFL level has certainly improved after getting smashed in the PS games. Either way Treacy with a PCL injury (and not playing) can’t be played ruck and Darcy out injured provided an opportunity to see what Reidy has. Again if we do manage to make finals having Reidy played a game or two makes sense - as opposed to Voss/Tabs in the ruck. Tabs has lost all athletic ability and struggles to bend forward due to his chronic back injury. Voss needs to focus on developing as key forward.

Brodie is not the answer. He won’t be selected for GWS game and honestly I don’t have a problem with that.

For the majority of the year our midfield has been getting the job done. Brodie has a one Wood in his golf bag and that’s it. We have Serong, Brayshaw, Young, Fyfe, Johnson, Erasmus all ahead of him and Erasmus has played four games and been subbed in or subbed out in each.

Teams are obviously putting a lot of work into countering our clearance work. We either keep losing this battle or come up with new and improved methods.

Having no Fyfe hurt against Essendon. Having no Darcy against Geelong hurt. At the end of the day we were up at 3 quarter time in both games. We also were up at 3 quarter time against Hawks, Port and Carlton.

I like Brodie but reality is that he is further down the line and they have come to that decision over a body of work and exposure. Brodie used to get 35 plus possessions in the GCS reserves team every week.

My bigger concern was not playing Reidy (as replacement for Darcy) and having Worner as sub.

I was extremely impressed with NOD last week. He may have had a few less possessions than Worner but he is the sort of player starting as a sub and working up that can improve our team.

If we do manage to make finals Worner won’t be part of that in my opinion. Aish needed a full game and from the bits and pieces I saw he accounted for himself well at Peel. He will be in the reckoning well ahead of Worner.

Reidy who I think probably isn’t up to regular AFL level has certainly improved after getting smashed in the PS games. Either way Treacy with a PCL injury (and not playing) can’t be played ruck and Darcy out injured provided an opportunity to see what Reidy has. Again if we do manage to make finals having Reidy played a game or two makes sense - as opposed to Voss/Tabs in the ruck. Tabs has lost all athletic ability and struggles to bend forward due to his chronic back injury. Voss needs to focus on developing as key forward.

Brodie is not the answer. He won’t be selected for GWS game and honestly I don’t have a problem with that.
Hard disagree about Brodie, him coming on as sub for a 4th quarter cameo (especially against the Bombers with Fyfe out) could have been the difference between winning and losing, same this week with Worner doing absolutely nothing as the sub.

I think the 'unknown quantity' whether it be with Brodie or Reidy will continue, esp when we get beaten. Whether racking up stats at WAFL translates to AFL accurately.

I think if Brodie came in against bombers instead of Ras which we kind of know where we at with him in his development, might have put some of it to bed. Whether, Brodie did well and could be a backup for Fyfe or he we still got smashed in the midfield and his name would never come up even if racking up possessions at peel, unless injuries hit

I think the 'unknown quantity' whether it be with Brodie or Reidy will continue, esp when we get beaten. Whether racking up stats at WAFL translates to AFL accurately.

I think if Brodie came in against bombers instead of Ras which we kind of know where we at with him in his development, might have put some of it to bed. Whether, Brodie did well and could be a backup for Fyfe or he we still got smashed in the midfield and his name would never come up even if racking up possessions at peel, unless injuries hit
I think that’s the point though, how will the coaches know if they don’t give these guys a chance to prove themselves. Darcy has missed 9 games this year and played underdone it at least 2 more, that’s 11 opportunities we’ve had to see what Reidy can do and put the argument to bed.
Likewise we’ve used the sub to play safe vanilla options like Ras, Aish and Worner. If not Brodie, try NOD as a sub.

I think that’s the point though, how will the coaches know if they don’t give these guys a chance to prove themselves. Darcy has missed 9 games this year and played underdone it at least 2 more, that’s 11 opportunities we’ve had to see what Reidy can do and put the argument to bed.
Likewise we’ve used the sub to play safe vanilla options like Ras, Aish and Worner. If not Brodie, try NOD as a sub.
Yeah. Not disagreeing with that. That's why my preference would of been to see Brodie instead of Ras against bombers and Reidy bought in for the Hawks game. With two must win games, despite what some might say we won't make finals anyway, you may be inclined to play with the known quantity

I agree with this. Brodie at times throughout the year I have advocated as sub. Against bombers we subbed of Erasmus. We had a couple of forwards in Emmett and Freddy who were essentially invisible. Erasmus could have just stayed on and Aish could have replaced one of the two invisible forwards with midfielders rotating via Half forward.

It would be nice to scrape into the finals. I do think in pressure cooker away finals game that we would struggle. The experience would be very valuable.

I didn’t mind the Jackson/Treacy combination earlier in the year and quite frankly what I saw of Reidy in PS games scared me big time. He has improved though and I agree there have been at least 3 very decent opportunities to bring him in. The three games that immediately come to mind (where Darcy didn’t play) would be vs Sydney (at home Cam McCarthy game), vs Hawks (away in Tas) and vs Geelong (at home).

I don't mind the idea of Brodie playing occasionally (I prefer Ras in general), but I do have a problem with this idea he would be the difference.

I also like having him at Peel, because if we lost 2 of the starting mids, its nice knowing that he does some stuff to a good AFL standard. I don't feel this need to get him into the team at any cost though and I find it weird everyone else does.

I don't mind the idea of Brodie playing occasionally (I prefer Ras in general), but I do have a problem with this idea he would be the difference.

I also like having him at Peel, because if we lost 2 of the starting mids, its nice knowing that he does some stuff to a good AFL standard. I don't feel this need to get him into the team at any cost though and I find it weird everyone else does.
Not trying to get him in at any cost, I understand he has limitations, however as a sub option he brings a lot more to the table than anyone we’ve used this year (except maybe Fyfe and Walters). I even understand playing Ras for a full game over Brodie (much better endurance) but why not have Brodie as the Sub if Ras was a planned tactical move. Aish brings nothing to our midfield mix.

Not trying to get him in at any cost, I understand he has limitations, however as a sub option he brings a lot more to the table than anyone we’ve used this year (except maybe Fyfe and Walters). I even understand playing Ras for a full game over Brodie (much better endurance) but why not have Brodie as the Sub if Ras was a planned tactical move. Aish brings nothing to our midfield mix.
I'm not against trying it, I just think we should temper our expectations.

I like Brodie as the sub, I think that's the best way to get the most our of everyone. Ras is not a sub but Brodie could be huge coming on in the 3rd for Fyfe. I hope we try it for this week, its better than playing roleplayers as a sub

I like Brodie as the sub, I think that's the best way to get the most our of everyone. Ras is not a sub but Brodie could be huge coming on in the 3rd for Fyfe. I hope we try it for this week, its better than playing roleplayers as a sub
Knowing our luck we will finally do it then lose a quick small early and have zero benefit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think people need to contextualise Brodie's performances. For an AFL quality inside midfielder in their prime, his WALF performance and statistics are not very impressive. Take some examples: Creepy was dropped a few times in the first half of his career usually for just the one week: Between 2007 and 2011 - 4 League games - 96 disposals 9 goals 2. Barlow played 3 league games post 2011 and averaged 35 touches and 7 tackles and goal per game.
Erasmus is playing better footy on balance. Eye test aside he is averaging 31.4 touches a game if you factor in him coming off in one of them straight after the first bounce. That's competition leading by a full disposal, and he is not the finished article size or experience wise (putting aside if he eventually make it at AFL level). Brodies primary skill (first touch and clearance) are simply not good enough to justify all his other limitations: not a great kick, doesn't get involved in offensive transition, doesn't run hard in defensive transition, no tank.

Guess I just imagined 2022 and how impactful Brodie was then. No need to tie ourselves in knots explaining away the rationale other than JL appears to be quite inflexible.

It would be less problematic if our midfield hadn't folded like a house of cards when under pressure this year and our lack of experimentation there despite the clear deficiencies.

I don't even care if it's Erasmus or NOD or whatever instead of Brodie but I think it's clear there's an issue that needs to be addressed.

I'm not against trying it, I just think we should temper our expectations.
Joao, there is a reason people bang on about playing Brodie, myself included. This team is still too reliant on Fyfe. There is a clear difference, imo when he is out of the side or down on form and how our midfield performs. If this is true, then wtf happens when he retires?

Luckily, I think it's a structural thing and can be solved by playing a like for like player. Without that big bodied midfielder, Young and Johnson have to do more of the bash and crash role and that just takes away from their game.

It's remarkable how short sighted the club is on this front. Why haven't we trialled Brodie or Ras to cover Fyfe since round one either as sub or in his absence? People are underestimating his role.

Our subs this year have been so beige for the most part. Did anyone think “alright, LFG” when Worner came on yesterday? Me neither.

Ras still struggles with adjusting to the level which doesn’t suit sub role. At least Brodie has a chance of coming on and having a decent presence.
Also wouldn’t mind if NOD gets the, ahem, nod next week.

Guess I just imagined 2022 and how impactful Brodie was then. No need to tie ourselves in knots explaining away the rationale other than JL appears to be quite inflexible.

It would be less problematic if our midfield hadn't folded like a house of cards when under pressure this year and our lack of experimentation there despite the clear deficiencies.

I don't even care if it's Erasmus or NOD or whatever instead of Brodie but I think it's clear there's an issue that needs to be addressed.
Yea people getting way too hung up on Brodies overall standing in the side.

Everyone knows exactly what he brings and it’s exactly that where as SUB the last 2 weeks you can’t tell me he wouldn’t have provided as much if not more as the incumbents??

We lost the bombers game solely due to our diabolical CB clearance work and that’s basically Brodie’s one wood
And we didn’t even have to drop Fyfe to accomodate him then

I mean how hard is it to shuffle the magnets to accomodate his strengths and minimise his weakness for a quarter ffs?

Remember the gc game last year?, was just about the biggest sole contributor to us winning that one .
So it’s not an unknown either

Anyway I think jlo use of the sub all year has been extremely poor.

In fact he seems to give it very little thought other than to err on the safe side (surprise) and basically always pick a role playing utility , with the only time he hasn’t was when Walters was sub which only further highlights how the argument against Brodie due to fitness is nothing more than a ruse

Joao, there is a reason people bang on about playing Brodie, myself included. This team is still too reliant on Fyfe. There is a clear difference, imo when he is out of the side or down on form and how our midfield performs. If this is true, then wtf happens when he retires?

Luckily, I think it's a structural thing and can be solved by playing a like for like player. Without that big bodied midfielder, Young and Johnson have to do more of the bash and crash role and that just takes away from their game.

It's remarkable how short sighted the club is on this front. Why haven't we trialled Brodie or Ras to cover Fyfe since round one either as sub or in his absence? People are underestimating his role.
You're tinkering in the margins. Maybe Brodie coming on in the 4th makes a big difference but I doubt it. We have issues with closing out games. It's a much bigger issue than one player. Especially when Brodie has limited AFL experience. If he had played 200 games including finals, then he'd probably be ideal.

And as I've said many times, I'm not remotely concerned about Fyfe retiring because I rate Johnson and I'm still bullish on Ras who is perfect type of player for the sort of role Fyfe currently has. Never mind anyone we bring in trade.

You're tinkering in the margins. Maybe Brodie coming on in the 4th makes a big difference but I doubt it. We have issues with closing out games. It's a much bigger issue than one player. Especially when Brodie has limited AFL experience. If he had played 200 games including finals, then he'd probably be ideal.

And as I've said many times, I'm not remotely concerned about Fyfe retiring because I rate Johnson and I'm still bullish on Ras who is perfect type of player for the sort of role Fyfe currently has. Never mind anyone we bring in trade.

There was two issues with the midfield late against Essendon especially.

The first was not winning the ball, which Brodie perhaps does help with. The second is that we weren’t able to stop them defensively once the opposition mids won it. If anything Brodie is inferior in this area to midfielders not getting the job done.

Agree on Johnson and reassured by your thoughts on Erasmus. I recognise he has upside. Both of them. For me with those two it has always been about next year, and anything else a bonus. But if Worner is coming in we might extend the logjam for Erasmus regardless of Fyfe.

I value midfielders who can impact in a second position, and I hope in this draft we priorities that quality regardless of what picks we end up with.

Agree on Johnson and reassured by your thoughts on Erasmus. I recognise he has upside. Both of them. For me with those two it has always been about next year, and anything else a bonus. But if Worner is coming in we might extend the logjam for Erasmus regardless of Fyfe.

I value midfielders who can impact in a second position, and I hope in this draft we priorities that quality regardless of what picks we end up with.o
Erasmus needs to work on his sprint training, Johnson needs more size.
I still dont understand why Neil wasn’t tried as a forward instead of Emmett?
Club needs guys that are dog hungry if we are to be taken as a serious threat.
Nice to see Serong get forward, would be nice in the future to swap him with
Erasmus.
Fyfe is pretty much done and one positional, Father Time is unbeatable.

Our subs this year have been so beige for the most part. Did anyone think “alright, LFG” when Worner came on yesterday? Me neither.

Ras still struggles with adjusting to the level which doesn’t suit sub role. At least Brodie has a chance of coming on and having a decent presence.
Also wouldn’t mind if NOD gets the, ahem, nod next week.
Hawthorn have it right bringing Breust on as Sub.

Hawthorn have it right bringing Breust on as Sub.
Yeah but the dude is impact personified, needs hardly any touches to do it. The person who I think would be fantastic is Switkowski but obviously he's better in the 22. It needs to be a player that is super quick and we start all our quick players :)

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds Peel Thunder 2024 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back