Player Watch Pick #12 (2018) - Zak Butters

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently has met with Bulldogs and Geelong. We need him to re sign asap
No he hasn't. Stop believing bullshit some nobody texts into a radio show.

To stop the bet wetting. Butters is contracted until the end of 2026 (despite some people in the media incorrectly saying 2025). To pry him out of port, it would take one of the biggest trade offers in history.
The most likely scenario if he was to leave would be via free agency at the end of 2026, vic clubs would offer him north of 1.5 million per year.

The most likely scenario if he was to leave would be via free agency at the end of 2026, vic clubs would offer him north of 1.5 million per year.
I agree with others, offer a contract next year, if he doesn’t sign trade him out next season for a big pay day.

4-5 years at 1.3-1.5?

Regardless of what you make of any specific rumours, the fact that he's happy to wait it out whilst equivalent players are signing massive long term deals says he's at least open to moving at some stage. Time will tell but it wouldn't shock me if he played out his whole career at Port and it wouldn't shock me if he's asking for a trade next year.

Can we seriously stop taking people's text being read over at SEN as fact? Do people not bother listening before taking things as facts?

nobody said it's a fact it's just worth discussing in case it's true

Regardless of what you make of any specific rumours, the fact that he's happy to wait it out whilst equivalent players are signing massive long term deals says he's at least open to moving at some stage. Time will tell but it wouldn't shock me if he played out his whole career at Port and it wouldn't shock me if he's asking for a trade next year.
I think it was more of him signing a shorter deal, knowing his next one will be way bigger. He knows how good he was going to become and backed himself into earning the big money.

I think it was more of him signing a shorter deal, knowing his next one will be way bigger. He knows how good he was going to become and backed himself into earning the big money.

Sure but I reckon his value will never be higher than in the next 12 months or so:
  • 24 years old
  • 7th season next year so closing in on free agency
  • AFLCA champion player in 2023
  • 4th in the Brownlow in 2023 and 3rd in the Brownlow in 2024
  • B&F 2023 and hot favourite to make that back to back
If I were his manager I'd be looking at the next deal he signs as being the long term, big money deal.

Sure but I reckon his value will never be higher than in the next 12 months or so:
  • 24 years old
  • 7th season next year so closing in on free agency
  • AFLCA champion player in 2023
  • 4th in the Brownlow in 2023 and 3rd in the Brownlow in 2024
  • B&F 2023 and hot favourite to make that back to back
If I were his manager I'd be looking at the next deal he signs as being the long term, big money deal.
That is the point I was trying to make. Don't sign the mega deal at 22, sign it at 24/25.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve heard from people in the know that money will not be the deciding factor for Zak. He’s a bit of an awkward guy and has had difficulty making a strong social circle in Adelaide. The club is helping him out by setting him with regular board game nights, and life drawing lessons at WEA.

I’ve heard from people in the know that money will not be the deciding factor for Zak. He’s a bit of an awkward guy and has had difficulty making a strong social circle in Adelaide. The club is helping him out by setting him with regular board game nights, and life drawing lessons at WEA.
I’m down if he likes Risk, I’m unbeatable 😂

On Zak Butters rumours:

“Quite happy to say that Zak won’t be going anywhere.”

Laura Benanti Thank You GIF by TV Land

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #12 (2018) - Zak Butters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back