Player Watch Pick #18 (2019) - Mitch Georgiades

Remove this Banner Ad

If anyone isn't aware. Georgiades had a small stint down back last week already.

We've got 3 cooked players (Dixon, Gray, Motlop) being picked ahead of him. In a forward line that has 2 talls.

They are going to ruin him.

He is too talented to be playing in the SANFL.

Would rather Marshall, Mitch and Dixon.

Finlayson athough more flexible has always failed to produce in big games or against quality opposition.
Though I agree Georgiades should be playing AFL...

You have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to Finlayson. In the 3 finals before the grand final in 2019 he averaged 14 disposals and 2.4 goals a match. I don't suppose those knockout finals were big games?

Schofield talked about wanting MG in the midfield. I remember being pissed off with this as he was playing well in our forwardline.

The game against Saints he spent a lot of time defence side of the wing and at half back because we had to defend grimly for a lot of the game and thats were the ball seemed to be for the majority of the night.

I dont see him as a good stoppage player to play in the square or do what we are doing with Dumont, who is a bit slow to be a winger but we get him to get to the stoppages and play as another inside mid. If MG gets a run im the mid field I see him as an outside winger using his athleticisn and marking prowess out wide on the wing. Have him take the bail out marks rather than forwards having to run 80m from their position to do that job.

At 192cm I dont see him being a long term KPF, but he can play as the 3rd tall forward. Whilst his goal kicking has been disappointing this year, I have been disappointed that he hasnt been jumping hard at everything in sight like he did the previous 2 years.

He makes a few too many U/10 errors for someone who has some high end skills. He has to cut those basic errors out.

Last year MG averaged 2.33 scoring shots per game. This year he's averaged 2.27 shots per game. If he had his accurate kicking boots on we'd be marvelling that he has been able to get more involved in the game possession wise along with still maintaining a solid goal scoring rate as the 3rd/4th option in the forward line.

He's going to be fine.

I like driving in my new car. They still give a car away for MOTY don't they?

What happened to the Georgiades apostrophe thread?? Was going to stick it in there.

1656849165209.png

Last edited:
I wish people would get off his back. He wasn’t alone making some mistakes but he was getting the ball, better than some others.

Amon and Farrell could have done more for example

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sensing that the torch has been passed from Dixon to Mitch as the guy up forward. With Dixon playing more ruck in Lycett's absence we've gotten to see how a post-Charlie Port forward line would look and George looks the goods. Todd has been solid too but we weren't seeing this type of brilliance from him at Mitch's current age. It's a tantalising prospect in the near future. Unfortunately we just have to deal with the here and now before we get there...

Mitch needs to go to kicking school. When kicking drop punts from set shots, the ball hits his ankle. Horrible to watch. Maybe just kick around the corner is his best strategy.

Not adding much at the moment. His goal kicking is bad but the bigger problem is that every time he gets the ball up the ground he usually makes a poor decision.

The goal kicking is a more recent phenomenon but the poor decision making has been a factor with him for a while and he desperately needs to improve it.

If a Lord or even Williams type was in better form then his spot would be under threat. But given we have no one else he probably retains his spot.

Not adding much at the moment. His goal kicking is bad but the bigger problem is that every time he gets the ball up the ground he usually makes a poor decision.

The goal kicking is a more recent phenomenon but the poor decision making has been a factor with him for a while and he desperately needs to improve it.

If a Lord or even Williams type was in better form then his spot would be under threat. But given we have no one else he probably retains his spot.

Lord getting destroyed at full back and Williams stuck in a back pocket won’t be after Georgiades’ spot any time soon.

He's fine.

He averages more shots at goal than Todd Marshall and Charlie Dixon.

His issues are between the ears. Dropping doesn't fix that.

He’s going to be fantastic and a superb partner for Marshall. So excited by these two. If one of Teakle or Lord can get up to AFL level as a third tall forward/back-up ruckman (or Finlayson continues playing at his current level for another four years), then our tall forward stocks will be fine and capable of helping us win a flag under the right coaching.

I get the interest in developing Lord as a CHB. He’s such a good contested mark. He and Pasini could shore us up for a long time together if they can get up to standard.

I find him a fascinating study. I'd be willing to bet anything that if drafted to West Coast or Collingwood that he's still a good kick for goal. A highly confident young buck who could kick goals with his eyes closed gets drafted to a club with an ingrained cultural sense of low confidence, lack of belief and inability to deal with pressure and he eventually absorbs so much of that by osmosis that he himself becomes a poor kick for goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #18 (2019) - Mitch Georgiades

Remove this Banner Ad

Back