Player Watch Pick #18 (2019) - Mitch Georgiades

Remove this Banner Ad

I find him a fascinating study. I'd be willing to bet anything that if drafted to West Coast or Collingwood that he's still a good kick for goal. A highly confident young buck who could kick goals with his eyes closed gets drafted to a club with an ingrained cultural sense of low confidence, lack of belief and inability to deal with pressure and he eventually absorbs so much of that by osmosis that he himself becomes a poor kick for goal.
Except that I remember it was said somewhere that when he got to the club he was a poor kick for goal with a very inconsistent technique, and they worked hard on getting a routine down for him which is what helped last year.

Georgiades is having issues with goal kicking because he's becoming used to the extra work that is required in being an AFL forward. He's getting into the right positions etc. so that's the main thing. It'll probably take him another preseason or two to get his fitness up to the level where he can put in around the ground AND be a great set shot.

All he needs to do is just keep presenting.

I find him a fascinating study. I'd be willing to bet anything that if drafted to West Coast or Collingwood that he's still a good kick for goal. A highly confident young buck who could kick goals with his eyes closed gets drafted to a club with an ingrained cultural sense of low confidence, lack of belief and inability to deal with pressure and he eventually absorbs so much of that by osmosis that he himself becomes a poor kick for goal.
I remember Farrell coming in as an absolute deadeye shot at goal, then went through a period of the yips where he couldn't hit the side of a barn, but has now reverted back to being a deadeye again. Hopefully Mitch follows a similar path.

It's to do with his ball drop, both shots in the third quarter went out on the full to the right. He needs to work through it to sure it up, but he is still getting good purchase on his kicks.
Field kicking is an issue also, just a bit of guidance and he'll be alright.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

200w.gif

I'm sure he'll sort it out, however he does play for the only club in memory to allow the yips to destroy a blue chip KPF's career, so who knows?

Get the routine back to basics, bring in a specific set shot coach if required. The worst thing to do would be to drop him and fail to address the problem. Unlike Butcher, Georgiades has an established perfect form set shot to revert to.

Most of the good kicks for goal are around his height. Not too tall that there's the extra distance between hand and foot to negotiate but not too short that anything beyond 35-40m requires you to give up accuracy to make the distance.

If he moved to West Coast tomorrow he'd be nailing every goal just like all of their forwards do.

His drop punt technique is deplorable from anything further than 20 metres out
Spot on.

His kicking technique will never allow him to be a reliable kick from more than 30-40m. Too straight with his approach and gets little momentum through the ball.

As opposed to with Marshall, I love this bloke and forgive him for his weaknesses. Unsure why, just the way it is.

You dislike orphans? Or is it that Todd's dad didn't kick 8 on debut?

It’s exciting to see what kind of player he will develop to become. He’s not super tall for a kpp, but he’s the same height as duck and Jack Riewoldt, so shouldn’t stop him from excelling if he’s the talent. He looks to have everything in his locker, he just struggles to put it all together seemingly.

giving me mitch mcgovern vibes

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #18 (2019) - Mitch Georgiades

Remove this Banner Ad

Back