Player Watch Pick #18 (2019) - Mitch Georgiades

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the most in form players in the comp - I'll be fascinated to see where he polls in the B&F this year. Would probably be in my top 5 despite missing 4 games.

He has all the traits to be an absolute star of the competition.

I may be misinterpreting things but he seems pretty humble compared to most footballers. Maybe level-headed is the word I’m looking for.

I think Mitch is the story of the year for us.

Struggling with form last year and then getting dropped to the Magoos and then a crippling ACL injury.

He comes back this year as possibly our next big key forward.

Since Round 12, Georgy is average 3 goals a game. That's electric.

As far as the 'story of the year' goes I'd have the discovery of Logan Evans no1 on my list but the improvement in Mitch Geordiades and development of Jase Burgoyne are not very far behind.

His last 6 weeks have been outstanding. Has gone from a talented player but a player just in the mix with the rest of the average to below average forwards in our team to clearly our best forward and a player the opposition should be very worried about.

As far as the 'story of the year' goes I'd have the discovery of Logan Evans no1 on my list but the improvement in Mitch Geordiades and development of Jase Burgoyne are not very far behind.

Throw Mead in for the quad. All four have been big positives for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. Strange season. If you told me at the start of this year that MG, Burgoyne, Mead and Logan Evans would all be big improvers/additions, and that Sweet and BZT especially would exceed expectations, I would automatically expect a big team improvement from 2023. Even moreso given that JHF has also been more consistent and impactful. The fact we haven’t been better to this point as a team is largely down to coaching ineptitude, plus the absence of SPP, time wasted in playing McEntee up forward, poor years from Marshall and Dixon and slight drop offs or injury lay offs from Butters, Rozee, Rioli, Jones and Drew. Wines being inconsistent until recently has also hurt. But mostly it’s poor coaching.

Yep. Strange season. If you told me at the start of this year that MG, Burgoyne, Mead and Logan Evans would all be big improvers/additions, and that Sweet and BZT especially would exceed expectations, I would automatically expect a big team improvement from 2023. Even moreso given that JHF has also been more consistent and impactful. The fact we haven’t been better to this point as a team is largely down to coaching ineptitude, plus the absence of SPP, time wasted in playing McEntee up forward, poor years from Marshall and Dixon and slight drop offs or injury lay offs from Butters, Rozee, Rioli, Jones and Drew. Wines being inconsistent until recently has also hurt. But mostly it’s poor coaching.

There are 2 big problems for me:

1) Rozee and Butters have gone from All Australian midfielders last year to basically slightly above average AFL midfielders this year.

2) The forward line. SPP gone. Rioli has missed lots of football. Dixon has gone on a season too long and hasn't been able to give us much. Marshall has given us absolutely nothing. Finlayson likewise in a season interrupted by injury and suspension. Lord hasn't been able to step up. And even Georgiades was still finding his feet after the ACL until 6 weeks ago.

1) Rozee and Butters have gone from All Australian midfielders last year to basically slightly above average AFL midfielders this year.

2) The forward line. SPP gone. Rioli has missed lots of football. Dixon has gone on a season too long and hasn't been able to give us much. Marshall has given us absolutely nothing. Finlayson likewise in a season interrupted by injury and suspension. Lord hasn't been able to step up. And even Georgiades was still finding his feet after the ACL until 6 weeks ago.
Yep. On-field, these are the big contributors. We’ve also not tidied up our all-ground defensive processes well enough.

1) a lot of Rozee's drop off in form can be attributed to the injuries and mismanagement of them. His early season form was as good as anyone in the comp, and his last month has been impressive. Butters on the other hand needs to learn how to break a tag - I'm not convinced personally he can do it.

2) the forward line issues have the potential to be long term problems. A 3 KPF set up of Georgiades, Marshall and Finlayson does nothing to inspire confidence. And the small forwards outside of Rioli remain an unknown given SPP is coming off a major injury.

1) a lot of Rozee's drop off in form can be attributed to the injuries and mismanagement of them. His early season form was as good as anyone in the comp, and his last month has been impressive. Butters on the other hand needs to learn how to break a tag - I'm not convinced personally he can do it.

2) the forward line issues have the potential to be long term problems. A 3 KPF set up of Georgiades, Marshall and Finlayson does nothing to inspire confidence. And the small forwards outside of Rioli remain an unknown given SPP is coming off a major injury.
Kind to Rozee and harsh on Butters. You would hope if a player is getting attention consistently every week someone else (Rozee) would step up and make the oppo think twice about who to go to.

Mitchy boy is having a purple patch. 3 rounds left in the H&A season and could potentially finish with 50+ goals which is extremely impressive considering he is coming off an ACL and missed the first 3 rounds as well as missing 1 week due to suspension.

Thought 40 goals might be a bit tough to get but I won't be surprised if he ends the season on 45+. Absolutely thriving getting the "third" tall defender behind Dixon and Ratugolea.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #18 (2019) - Mitch Georgiades

Remove this Banner Ad

Back