Pick 23 - Possibilities?

Remove this Banner Ad

Doesn't want to come to Adelaide. End of story.
And what a great sign that the kid has fixed his "issues".

After missing the draft and rookie draft completely last year you would think he would be keen to get on a list anywhere. If he thinks he's done enough to be able to dictate where he wants to play - good luck to whoever picks him up.

The WA based teams apparently aren't interested. Massive pass from me.

Maybe a rookie list if he's still there, as he obviously has talent. No way I'd waste a draft pick when we only have two.

Has it actually been said anywhere that he doesn't want to come to Adelaide or is this one of those bigfooty rumors that has made that the case? Doubt we'd be looking into him regardless as we're not the sort of club to that this sort of risk.

Has it actually been said anywhere that he doesn't want to come to Adelaide or is this one of those bigfooty rumors that has made that the case? Doubt we'd be looking into him regardless as we're not the sort of club to that this sort of risk.

He was a no-show at a scheduled interview with Port, but has met with Vic based clubs. Bit of 1+1=2 stuff going on, but it's a reasonable guess.

Didn't we spend the whole trade period romancing a guy who worships the ground Michael Long walks on and another guy who sleeps with a Thunder Power mascot doll?

Do yourselves a favor and look at Cameron Conlon .........injured all year, MAY HAVE been a top 10 selection if not for the injuries

Want X FACTOR .....he's rough, raw, but could be anything IF his mental application is professional

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-20/cameron-conlon

Certainly a lot of potential there, reminds me a bit of Vickery, great athleticism and a good set of hands, I'd wonder how he'd go against more physical opponents.

Apeness = Harvey

Based on previously stated outcomes on 50/50 choices that the local product will get the nod .......Harvey likely b4 Apeness

How does Apeness equal Harvey? Harvey at 195cm is not a potential ruckman, he's too short, Apeness at 199cm has potential as a ruckman(1st ruck for Vic metro) as well as a key forward where Apeness' height also provides him with an advantage in the role he plays.

Harvey is a lead up and mark type, little more, Apeness offers a lot more versatility and is ideal for a KPF/ruck role.

So factoring in we'll go down the path of grabbing a genuine outside mid @ 23, so
here are my top 4 preferences @ 23 as well as a few of others you can throw a blanket over that you might punt on early or that could slide to 46.

Nick Bourke | Geelong Falcons (Range 30-late)

BOURKE-Nicholas.jpg

Player bio
Height: 188cm
Weight: 80kg
Pos: Midfielder

2013 stats
Games: 16
Goals: 6
Avg Kicks: 10.3
Avg Marks: 5.9
Avg H'balls: 6.3

The inside word

Medium midfielder with fantastic athleticism and overhead marking ability. Can play at both ends of the ground as well as through the midfield. Is a thumping left-foot kick and loves to run and carry the footy on the outside. Has clean hands and likes to bring his teammates into the game.

Smooth outside mover, gut runner & a real 100 metre player. His kicking and marking are elite for a junior, is also an AIS academy member & we know how much we like those. Was out with a shoulder injury earlier in the year but came back just before the U/18 champs where his numbers were down slightly, he's slipped down the pecking order due to this. He seems to me to be very much an Adelaide/Ogilvy special.

more info:
http://www.scpaige.com.au/draftees-in-focus-nicholas-bourke/
http://boundforglorynews.com/country-boy-bourke-might-be-the-biggest-steal-of-the-draft/

Trent Dumont | Norwood (Range 15-30)

DUMONT-Trent.jpg

Player bio
Height: 186cm
Weight: 83kg
2013 stats
Games: 21
Goals: 8
Avg Kicks: 9.5
Avg Marks: 3.5
Avg H'balls: 7.9

The inside word

Medium midfielder who can play inside or outside. Possesses a penetrating right foot and makes good decisions with his disposal. Finds plenty of the ball and always looks to run and carry, showing an uncanny ability to keep his feet in the contest.

A lot already known about him from playing seniors at Norwood, not the quickest across the field, maybe that's why I have Bourke as a need ahead of him, but makes up for it by seeming to have a heap of time and space when the balls in his hands and finds the right option more often than not also possesses very clean hands. Might be taken before our pick or we might hold concerns about a few areas of his game like his versatility on field, his disposal by foot under pressure and the fact he's more of a inside mid than outside mid.

more info:
www.scpaige.com.au/draftees-in-focus-trent-dumont/

Isaiah Miller | Bendigo Pioneers (Range 30-late)

MILLER-Isaiah.jpg

Player bio
Height: 187cm
Weight: 82kg
Pos: Defender
2013 stats
Games: 20
Goals: 6
Avg Kicks: 13.6
Avg Marks: 4.4
Avg H'balls: 4

The inside word

Medium midfielder/defender who reads the play well and makes good decisions when in possession. An athletic player who covers the ground with ease and finds plenty of space. Displays good marking ability above his head and can compete in the air and at ground level.

Bendigo boy ala Kerridge, with similar attributes to Vic Country teammate Bourke, has played more across half back but can and will play through the midfield, a very clean player able to carry the ball and use it very effectively as he is rated an elite user of the footy. Is also a highly rated tackler, already has a strong build and he has also already played against men for the Bendigo VFL team where he impressed. A good old AIS academy member as well, he's one of those in the past we've shown interest in, only real knocks has been he's not the longest kick out there nor has he got that elite leg speed we may be looking for, but his athleticism and kicking skills almost make up for that. Someone could jump the gun and take him before our first pick.

more info:
http://www.scpaige.com.au/draftees-in-focus-isaiah-miller/
http://boundforglorynews.com/2013-draft-profile-isaiah-miller/

James Battersby | Sturt (Range 25-late)

BATTERSBY-James.jpg

Player bio
Height: 177cm
Weight: 78kg
2013 stats
Games: 19
Goals: 9
Avg Kicks: 10.2
Avg Marks: 4.2
Avg H'balls: 10

The inside word

Small defender/midfielder with excellent vision and use of the ball by hand and foot. Has already played at senior level with Sturt, where his great assets included composure and game sense. Capped off an outstanding Under-18 Championships by winning All-Australian honours.

Again already talked about, played a full season at SANFL level with Sturt where he didn't look out of place as a 17 year old, able to find teammates in time and space. Has really good speed and is hard at the contest, very versatile able to play midfield, forward and back. Concerns over endurance and composure when ball in hand remain as well as his main knock which would be his height, which could pigeon hole him as a flanker rather then a genuine prime moving midfielder. His stocks have risen yet will be one of those that could either easily slide or be taken before our pick 23.

more info:
http://www.scpaige.com.au/draftess-in-focus-james-battersby/

Others of interest:
George Hewett | North Adelaide (Range 30-late)

HEWETT-George.jpg

Player bio
Height: 185cm
Weight: 79kg
2013 stats
Games: 18
Goals: 10
Avg Kicks: 11.1
Avg Marks: 3.8
Avg H'balls: 7.7

The inside word

Medium midfielder with neat skills on right and left sides who shows great courage in the contest. Has good awareness and vision, allowing him to set up the play for his team. Impressed for SA in NAB AFL Under-18 Championship-winning team.

Great foot skills, played seniors for North Adelaide this year and also had a very good U/18 champs where his stocks rose that could see him taken in the 2nd round, has loads of upside which means he might go earlier, but pick 23 might be too early for him where as he might slide to 46.

Jarman Impey | Murray Bushrangers (Range 20-45)

IMPEY-Jarman.jpg

Player bio
Height: 177cm
Weight: 78kg
2013 stats
Games: 17
Goals: 13
Avg Kicks: 11.2
Avg Marks: 3.6
Avg H'balls: 5.7

The inside word

An extremely quick and powerful small who can play at both ends of the ground, Impey is shaping up as one of the better utilities available in this year's draft. Agile, with a strong leap and good hands, the Murray Bushrangers product recorded top-10 finishes in each of the three vertical jump tests at October's draft combine.

Similar to Battersby but probably a touch quicker, bigger leap and better kick. Has an elite leg and leg speed to burn which always sounds good on paper, likened to Cyril Rioli which again sounds good on paper but his poor endurance and knack of going missing for long periods will mean you have to look at whether the upside outweighs the downside with him. Like Battersby his height and more so with Impey his work rate may see him pigeon holed as flanker where he may not reach his full potential. Will go in the second round don't know if that will be at 23 though.

more info:
http://www.scpaige.com.au/draftees-in-focus-jarman-impey/

Nathan Drummond | Murray Bushrangers (Range 25-late)

DRUMMOND-Nathan.jpg

Player bio
Height: 182cm
Weight: 82kg
2013 stats
Games: 9
Goals: 3
Avg Kicks: 9.9
Avg Marks: 3.1
Avg H'balls: 5.4

The inside word

Medium defender/midfielder who attacks the ball strongly and has a good combination of speed and endurance. Indigenous player who played only three matches for Vic Country this year in the NAB AFL Under 18 Championships because of injury.

A real roughy has blistering pace and x factor all about him, quite rough around the edges and not the best kick but has the ability to destroy opponents. Strong for his height is able to win one on one contest in the air or use his speed when the ball comes to ground, has very good endurance and is able to accumulate possessions. Could go as early as the second round or could even slide to the rookie draft, would take @ 46 as a project player because as they say in Jamaica "He's got serious wheels, mon"

more info:
http://boundforglorynews.com/2013-draft-profile-nathan-drummond/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So factoring in we'll go down the path of grabbing a genuine outside mid @ 23, so
here are my top 4 preferences @ 23 as well as a few of others you can throw a blanket over that you might punt on early or that could slide to 46.

Smooth outside mover, gut runner & a real 100 metre player. His kicking and marking are elite for a junior, is also an AIS academy member & we know how much we like those. Was out with a shoulder injury earlier in the year but came back just before the U/18 champs where his numbers were down slightly, he's slipped down the pecking order due to this. He seems to me to be very much an Adelaide/Ogilvy special.

more info:
http://www.scpaige.com.au/draftees-in-focus-nicholas-bourke/
http://boundforglorynews.com/country-boy-bourke-might-be-the-biggest-steal-of-the-draft/

A lot already known about him from playing seniors at Norwood, not the quickest across the field, maybe that's why I have Bourke as a need ahead of him, but makes up for it by seeming to have a heap of time and space when the balls in his hands and finds the right option more often than not also possesses very clean hands. Might be taken before our pick or we might hold concerns about a few areas of his game like his versatility on field, his disposal by foot under pressure and the fact he's more of a inside mid than outside mid.

more info:
www.scpaige.com.au/draftees-in-focus-trent-dumont/

Bendigo boy ala Kerridge, with similar attributes to Vic Country teammate Bourke, has played more across half back but can and will play through the midfield, a very clean player able to carry the ball and use it very effectively as he is rated an elite user of the footy. Is also a highly rated tackler, already has a strong build and he has also already played against men for the Bendigo VFL team where he impressed. A good old AIS academy member as well, he's one of those in the past we've shown interest in, only real knocks has been he's not the longest kick out there nor has he got that elite leg speed we may be looking for, but his athleticism and kicking skills almost make up for that. Someone could jump the gun and take him before our first pick.

more info:
http://www.scpaige.com.au/draftees-in-focus-isaiah-miller/
http://boundforglorynews.com/2013-draft-profile-isaiah-miller/

Again already talked about, played a full season at SANFL level with Sturt where he didn't look out of place as a 17 year old, able to find teammates in time and space. Has really good speed and is hard at the contest, very versatile able to play midfield, forward and back. Concerns over endurance and composure when ball in hand remain as well as his main knock which would be his height, which could pigeon hole him as a flanker rather then a genuine prime moving midfielder. His stocks have risen yet will be one of those that could either easily slide or be taken before our pick 23.

more info:
http://www.scpaige.com.au/draftess-in-focus-james-battersby/

Others of interest:

Great foot skills, played seniors for North Adelaide this year and also had a very good U/18 champs where his stocks rose that could see him taken in the 2nd round, has loads of upside which means he might go earlier, but pick 23 might be too early for him where as he might slide to 46.

Similar to Battersby but probably a touch quicker, bigger leap and better kick. Has an elite leg and leg speed to burn which always sounds good on paper, likened to Cyril Rioli which again sounds good on paper but his poor endurance and knack of going missing for long periods will mean you have to look at whether the upside outweighs the downside with him. Like Battersby his height and more so with Impey his work rate may see him pigeon holed as flanker where he may not reach his full potential. Will go in the second round don't know if that will be at 23 though.

more info:
http://www.scpaige.com.au/draftees-in-focus-jarman-impey/

A real roughy has blistering pace and x factor all about him, quite rough around the edges and not the best kick but has the ability to destroy opponents. Strong for his height is able to win one on one contest in the air or use his speed when the ball comes to ground, has very good endurance and is able to accumulate possessions. Could go as early as the second round or could even slide to the rookie draft, would take @ 46 as a project player because as they say in Jamaica "He's got serious wheels, mon"

more info:
http://boundforglorynews.com/2013-draft-profile-nathan-drummond/
Thanks for those efforts. Really like Miller from that group.

If I got to pick, I think I would go Impey, Battersby then Bourke.

Impey might be too big a risk for me, I know people say "high risk, high reward" but only having pick 23 leaves you feeling as you have to grab someone with a degree of certainty about them or play the percentages just like we did back in 2011 selecting Kerridge @ 27, we knew what we were getting (mature body & endurance.)

Just on Battersby something I didn't get to in my previous post, I think he's a good player but I always get the nagging feeling like I do with some SA lads that he's being overrated a bit on here. I think with this draft especially there's about 5 or 6 players of a similar ilk all rated equally with him but you can't get a precise measure on them not knowing if a club will select a small (174-178cm) early on in the draft.

Impey might be too big a risk for me, I know people say "high risk, high reward" but only having pick 23 leaves you feeling as you have to grab someone with a degree of certainty about them or play the percentages just like we did back in 2011 selecting Kerridge @ 27, we knew what we were getting (mature body & endurance.)

Just on Battersby something I didn't get to in my previous post, I think he's a good player but I always get the nagging feeling like I do with some SA lads that he's being overrated a bit on here. I think with this draft especially there's about 5 or 6 players of a similar ilk all rated equally with him but you can't get a precise measure on them not knowing if a club will select a small (174-178cm) early on in the draft.
I really think this is spot on in so far as we can't afford to gamble too much with 23 ( noting they are all a gamble of course).

One of the reasons I've looked closely at the 3 SA kids likely to be around at 23, is that they have all acquitted themselves well in senior SANFL footy. I like Battersby but feel we may think Laird and Brown are enough of that type.

I really think this is spot on in so far as we can't afford to gamble too much with 23 ( noting they are all a gamble of course).

One of the reasons I've looked closely at the 3 SA kids likely to be around at 23, is that they have all acquitted themselves well in senior SANFL footy. I like Battersby but feel we may think Laird and Brown are enough of that type.

My only reservations re Batterby are that he seems like a Laird clone, which IMO is a strong commendation, but at AFL level is he anything more than a small defender?

My only reservations re Batterby are that he seems like a Laird clone, which IMO is a strong commendation, but at AFL level is he anything more than a small defender?
He would certainly need to be as that position appears a closed shop for the foreseeable future. He played in the mids for Sturt so may have that string to his bow, but I fear he may be pigeonholed as a small defender type which would rule him out for us.

If we did happen to draft another inside midfielder and he was good enough to be in the side come the start of the season, would we perhaps use someone like Dangerfield in more of an outside role? I love everything he offers as an inside midfielder and I'm not sure we could program him to stop going into all the packs but he's got some very nice attributes which would make him quite a strong outside midfielder. Obviously has to work on his kicking a little but doesn't appear to be lacking anywhere else as an outside midfielder.

This happened at times already in 2013, Crouch took Danger's inside role at stoppages while Danger stood outside waiting for the release

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 23 - Possibilities?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back