Pick 23 - Possibilities?

Remove this Banner Ad

Have you seen highlights of Apeness? If they assess most of the low risk mids as having gone by 23 you would think this kid may be a chance. At 199cm and 101 kg he is a beast already with excellent agility and marking skills.

Apeness is one that has really caught my eye, isn't super athletic, but is certainly athletic enough to easily hold down a KP, certainly seems a lot more coordinated than most his size. He also seems to read the fight of the ball through the air really well and seems to have no quarms about marking in a pack situation. But what I love is his competitiveness, he's physical and looks like a real fighter, has quite a few similarities to Tippett, with a better kicking action.

Is one who could easily turn out to be a key forward or a ruckman, likely a key forward who second rucks though IMO. The good thing is at 199m he shouldn't quite have the issues McKernan, Sellar and Craig had in that they really weren't tall enough to first ruck. Certainly not the ready made prospect that Boyd is, but has a great skillset IMO and considering a tall forward/ruck has been on our list, it wouldn't surprise me to see us take a punt on him.

The other that's caught my eye so far is Cameron Giles. Really like what he brings to the table, perfect size for a key defender in 195cm, already 90+kgs, but is super quick and agile for a guy his size. Defensively still sounds like he's learning a little, but that stuff can be learnt, what he had though is an penchant for offensively taking the opposition on Bock style and ha an accurate kick with good decision making. Wont be ready straight away, but could really provide us with that offensive run from a tall that we've lacked since Bock left, could hold down either CHB or 3rd tall defender by the looks.

Like most I would love to see us grab a pacy outside mid with great skills, however the only ones likely to be available appear to be of the midget variety, 176cm or less, which worries me a little. It doesn't prevent them from making it, it just makes it a hell of a lot harder.

If we did happen to draft another inside midfielder and he was good enough to be in the side come the start of the season, would we perhaps use someone like Dangerfield in more of an outside role? I love everything he offers as an inside midfielder and I'm not sure we could program him to stop going into all the packs but he's got some very nice attributes which would make him quite a strong outside midfielder. Obviously has to work on his kicking a little but doesn't appear to be lacking anywhere else as an outside midfielder.

I'd love to be there when they had that conversation: 'So Pat, you know all that stuff where you go into packs and get the ball and burst out of them, leaving opposition floundering, you know, the stuff that makes you one of the elite players in the AFL. Could you stop doing that? Great, thanks. Good chat Pat.'

Johnathon Marsh looks like the love child of Brett Burton and Shuan Mckernan... I want him just because i think he may cause a big footy feelpinion meltdown.

Haha, yes! Watching his vid, I've been trying to work out why I don't like him, although those two both have a great set of hands, Marsh fumbled almost every ball in his highlights. Very athletic and looks like he can find the pill, but just seems to lack any sort of composure and either just wastes time with ball in hand or bombs away blindly to poor positions.

We've also got a plethora of options for a 3rd tall forward, probably the last thing we need alongside an inside mid or a plodding dinosaur of a ruckman whose good at rucking but nothing else.

I'd love to be there when they had that conversation: 'So Pat, you know all that stuff where you go into packs and get the ball and burst out of them, leaving opposition floundering, you know, the stuff that makes you one of the elite players in the AFL. Could you stop doing that? Great, thanks. Good chat Pat.'
That kind of post really adds nothing. :thumbsdown:

Do yourselves a favor and look at Cameron Conlon .........injured all year, MAY HAVE been a top 10 selection if not for the injuries

Want X FACTOR .....he's rough, raw, but could be anything IF his mental application is professional

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-20/cameron-conlon

Just don't think they will punt with 23 like that. Will go a safer option IMO . Even if they decide on KPP for 23 more likely to be Apeness if available
Aaaah .....think you'll find Adelaide won't go with the "safe, steady, option" ......Ebert v Dangerfield ring a bell .....McKernan ring a bell.

That's why i can't see Battersby ....he's a safe option with the ?mark being how much upside is left

With Conlan and Harvey there's a hell of a lot of upside there IF the playes application to improve is there.

#23 .....player with X factor ....not a star now but with tools to be one (definition of project player)
#46 .....If tall goes #23 then outside midfielder here .....or vice a versa

Just don't think they will punt with 23 like that. Will go a safer option IMO . Even if they decide on KPP for 23 more likely to be Apeness if available
Apeness = Harvey

Based on previously stated outcomes on 50/50 choices that the local product will get the nod .......Harvey likely b4 Apeness

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aaaah .....think you'll find Adelaide won't go with the "safe, steady, option" ......Ebert v Dangerfield ring a bell .....McKernan ring a bell.

That's why i can't see Battersby ....he's a safe option with the ?mark being how much upside is left

With Conlan and Harvey there's a hell of a lot of upside there IF the playes application to improve is there.

#23 .....player with X factor ....not a star now but with tools to be one (definition of project player)
#46 .....If tall goes #23 then outside midfielder here .....or vice a versa
1 high ish pick in 2 years? you bet it needs to be a safe option, no time for gambling IMO

Do yourselves a favor and look at Cameron Conlon .........injured all year, MAY HAVE been a top 10 selection if not for the injuries

Want X FACTOR .....he's rough, raw, but could be anything IF his mental application is professional

He is no doubt one of the more intriguing players in this years draft, as the talent is undeniable. Having played no games this year at TAC Cup or U18s, it depends on how much we are convinced he is over his injuries (he had a pretty injury riddled year last year as well).

In saying this we did take Davis when he was basically injured his whole draft year.

Would be more than happy to take this gamble, he and Lynch in the forward line would be fun to watch.

1 high ish pick in 2 years? you bet it needs to be a safe option, no time for gambling IMO
Every pick is a gamble .....but recruiters normally look for players with a large upside ......extra fitness, building up the body, still growing ec, a

The steady "safe" players often do not progress ......Adam Maric a classic example
Was an out & out STAR at U18 level .....yet never progressed and was delisted by 2 clubs within 5 years

He is no doubt one of the more intriguing players in this years draft, as the talent is undeniable. Having played no games this year at TAC Cup or U18s, it depends on how much we are convinced he is over his injuries (he had a pretty injury riddled year last year as well).

In saying this we did take Davis when he was basically injured his whole draft year.

Would be more than happy to take this gamble, he and Lynch in the forward line would be fun to watch.
This is a good point .......it's the hidden gems created by being hidden in school footy, or injuries as being the case with Conlan

As everyone knows my preference is for a KPP at #23

No KPP or Ruckman with pick 23 please, they will be available later in the draft

The only problem is, this year is weak when it come to depth the in KPP and Ruckman. If we want one, we would need to use 23.

Judging by our end of season list management, it does points to us drafting midfielders (hopefully outside mids).

No KPP or Ruckman with pick 23 please, they will be available later in the draft
You think there'll be a decent KPP at #46 ..........highly doubt it as the good ones are so scarce they'll be picked up thru the 2nd round

More likely speedy mids will be available ....there are so many

Looks like he has the mobility of someone 20cm shorter than he is, kind of like Naitanui. He probably got injured often because his body isn't yet strong enough to sustain the impacts that come from a body that size moving the way he does. A few preseasons to help in this regard and he could really takeoff.

why wouldn't you use #23? .......depends on how you project his development?

Because if would be a ludicrous, wasteful, reckless decision? Turn Vince into a tall kid who didn't play all year and is a godawful gamble to ever play a game?

We should do it like a Melbourne Cup pool - or maybe a draft whet everyone gets to pick one player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 23 - Possibilities?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back