Pick 6

Remove this Banner Ad

We need another key defender, so we might use #13 for that purpose. Apparently all the best players in the draft are midfielders, so we might still be able to take the best or second best tall at pick #13.

Port will probably delist Koulouriotis, so we might use #28 for him (if he's still available).

We'll probably just take the best available at pick #6. Most likely an in-and-under midfielder. We've already got a few young wingmen.

I think that Hird, Like **** Reynolds, John Coleman and Bill Hutchinson, come around once every few decades. We were spoilt to have the latter 3 in our team at the one time.

I don't think there will ever be another James Hird (Emphasis on James)....because as a footballer he's unique in every way. His courage, skill, foresight, reading of the play and leadership is second to none. He's a conjuror able to fraw a miracle out of what might seem the most hopeless of situations. I'll be privileged to see another player like Hird in my lifetime.

Sorry, got sidetracked :p

My Wish List

Pick 6: Colin Sylvia (unlikely to be around :mad: )/ Andrew Walker

Pick 13: Troy Chaplin (unlikely to be available)/ Ricky Dyson/ Fergus Watts

Pick 28: Jacob Surjan/ Rowan Bonson

Pick 44: Best Available

Rookie Draft: Chris Goulett

Originally posted by pazza
Would love to get Walker with 6.

Watts at 13 will be a good move.

Goullet would be mine for pick 28.

Don't be at all surprised if we go for Keilor Park's Paul Koulouriotis at 44.

Nathan Lovett-Murray is another option there or in the rookie draft.

Agree with Walker, Watts.

Goullet - plenty more Cannons with more appeal.

Koulouriotis - maybe.

Lovett-Murray - no thanks.

Pick #6: Best inside midfielder available.

Pick #13: Best key defender available.

I agree with Pazza, I think we'll look at picking up local boy Paul Koulouriotis with a later pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

id like to get Watts if possible but i think we would have to use our pick 6 to get him as i cant see im being their longer than pick 9-10 the inside midfeilder is definatly the go though because despite our depth and though it is funny considering our lack of pace last year our midfeilders exept the Johnsons are all fast buggers eg Bullen winderlinch Alvy Murphey Ramma and Reynolds.

id like to see us get Chaplin with 6 (doubtful) and perhaps Dyson with 13?

Pick 6 is a tough one, word is sylvia or tenace might slip and we should snap one of those guys up...pick 13 Dyson is our man. There are a few 17 KPP project players in the draft so im sure we will use a later pick on one of those.

Koulouriotis...if we were to pick him then i wouldnt waste a pick like No 28 on him..he will still be there towards the end of the draft anyway so use alate pick on him if we need to.

I would prefer us to take lovett-murray than him anyway.

I don't think Dyson is worth using an early pick on. We've got enough young and quick outside midfielders (Winderlich, Reynolds, Walsh, Alvey).

I think an inside midfielder is the go because even though the Johnsons and Peverill are hard and can crash a pack they aren't like a Ratten or Voss or Misiti. We could use someone with genuine footy smarts who is very creative out of the stoppages. McLean would be that man, I think.

The best tall defenders will probably go before pick #13, but as Marcuz says, there are a few project tall defenders we'll look at.

Koulouriotis at pick #44 would be a bargain. He was a first round pick and has been at Port Adelaide for four years so he's already had the work put in. If he comes good he'll be very handy.

Stevo, I don't think McLean is our man should we go for an inside midfielder. Only a hunch, but I don't think he is as good as what he is made out to be. He is a man playing against boys, FFS he looks about as old as Fish. I think Farren Ray could be the go. Should last till pick 6 I'd say. But the bloke I really want with 6 is Walker. Just a matter of whether he is around at 6. Both inside midfielders. Obviously if Tenace or Sylvia slipped through, you'd take on of those. Ryley Dunn an outsider for this Pick.

If a tall defender was the go, I'd have it down to a couple - Chaplin & Gayfer. Only problem with Gayfer is that his brother played for the filth:D Also doubt whether he'd go this early. Chaplin would be the man. A tall defender/ruckman who we will be interested in later on in the draft (Pick 13/28) would be Chris Stewart (Northern). Can also play forward. Sensational grab

Tall forwards - Fergus Watts takes it hands down. Simply nothing else of interest.

Re Koulouriotis - he is only another outside wingman - don't know why we'd want him. Wouldn't get a game over Haynes, Alvey or Murphy of the recycled.

Id still go for dyson...He could be a very dangerous half back/ wingman.He might actually do a darren walsh and slip to us at 28, walsh was supposed to have been a top 15 pick last year...Winderlich IMO will end up as a ruckrover after he fills out a little more. Walsh In a back pocket and reynolds and rama on opposite wings would give essendon a whole new look.

Originally posted by bozza
Stevo, I don't think McLean is our man should we go for an inside midfielder. Only a hunch, but I don't think he is as good as what he is made out to be. He is a man playing against boys, FFS he looks about as old as Fish. I think Farren Ray could be the go. Should last till pick 6 I'd say. But the bloke I really want with 6 is Walker. Just a matter of whether he is around at 6. Both inside midfielders. Obviously if Tenace or Sylvia slipped through, you'd take on of those. Ryley Dunn an outsider for this Pick.

If a tall defender was the go, I'd have it down to a couple - Chaplin & Gayfer. Only problem with Gayfer is that his brother played for the filth:D Also doubt whether he'd go this early. Chaplin would be the man. A tall defender/ruckman who we will be interested in later on in the draft (Pick 13/28) would be Chris Stewart (Northern). Can also play forward. Sensational grab

Tall forwards - Fergus Watts takes it hands down. Simply nothing else of interest.

Re Koulouriotis - he is only another outside wingman - don't know why we'd want him. Wouldn't get a game over Haynes, Alvey or Murphy of the recycled.

The most promising inside midfielders would be Cooney, Sylvia, Tenance, Ray, Walker. So we might not get one of them. But you'd expect Watts and Chaplin, and possibly Bradley, to go fairly early so we might still get a run at one of those five midfielders (apart from Cooney).

I don't know much about Ray, but I'd hate to see us use pick #6 on him and then have him run home to WA.

If Chaplin was still around at pick #6, we might grab him, and then use pick #13 for someone like Bentick.

Originally posted by marcuz
Id still go for dyson...He could be a very dangerous half back/ wingman.He might actually do a darren walsh and slip to us at 28, walsh was supposed to have been a top 15 pick last year...Winderlich IMO will end up as a ruckrover after he fills out a little more. Walsh In a back pocket and reynolds and rama on opposite wings would give essendon a whole new look.
Fair point marcuz, but Walsh in a back pocket? Winderlich theory is a good one, his kicking lacks penetration so ruck-rover/inside player could suit. Dyson on a half back flank would be a waste - I cannot describe how frustrated I get when Rama plays there. When you hav players as damaging as Rama, you play them in attacking positions eg wing centre hff

Originally posted by Bozza
Fair point marcuz, but Walsh in a back pocket? Winderlich theory is a good one, his kicking lacks penetration so ruck-rover/inside player could suit. Dyson on a half back flank would be a waste - I cannot describe how frustrated I get when Rama plays there. When you hav players as damaging as Rama, you play them in attacking positions eg wing centre hff

Walsh played a lot of his junior footy in a back pocket/Half Back Flank..Moves like Gavin Wanganeen..why not turn him into Gavin.

Half Back flank can be one of the most attacking positions on the ground. Joel Smith, Rohan Smith, Tadgh kennelly, David King all have used this position to start their teams attacks with dash and long kicking...Dyson could move upfield later on but it would be a good starting point for the kid

Whats Darren Walsh's progress like? last time i saw him he looked like a stick. but he did have that wanganeen hidden muscle stick look.

Meh looked to preminisions he was always moving b4 i could even see the play always got thier first, looked fast 2 :p Hopefully he will come through could Welsh (andy) be moved onto the wing? if so we could move Hunt to tyake his spot to give him some time in the first grade while ramma recovers?

so we could move Hunt to tyake his spot to give him some time in the first grade while ramma recovers?

It's up to Sam if he wants that spot or not. I remember John Quinn on Radio saying he had not seen many guys his size move as well as he does. Hard work will get him a spot in the backline...no doubt he has the skills , speed and ability to be a very good tall defender.

What's this obsession with inside midfielders? We've got them coming out of our ears with Johnsons, Hird, Peverill, Misiti, Bullen, McPhee and Solomon when on-ball. Admittedly with our recruiting/trading recently we've brought in a few outsiders but there's no point wasting our early pick on a player that we dont REALLY need (ie McLean). Likewise the #13 doesn't need to be wasted on a tall defender this year. With Hunt and Henneman to come in and with Lucas and Fletcher we should be right. Next year's draft we should look at the KPP.

Cooney #1
Tenace #2
Sylvia #3
Ray #4
Bradley #5
Walker #6
Dyson #13

Originally posted by TheMightyDons
What's this obsession with inside midfielders? We've got them coming out of our ears with Johnsons, Hird, Peverill, Misiti, Bullen, McPhee and Solomon when on-ball. Admittedly with our recruiting/trading recently we've brought in a few outsiders but there's no point wasting our early pick on a player that we dont REALLY need (ie McLean). Likewise the #13 doesn't need to be wasted on a tall defender this year. With Hunt and Henneman to come in and with Lucas and Fletcher we should be right. Next year's draft we should look at the KPP.

Cooney #1
Tenace #2
Sylvia #3
Ray #4
Bradley #5
Walker #6
Dyson #13

We could use an inside midfielder with savvy around the stoppages. The Johnsons and Peverill aren't exactly the most creative on-ballers. Hird has only got a couple of years left, Misiti similar. Bullen is handy but we haven't seen anything that shows he's going to be a star. Solomon and McPhee are more utility types at the moment.

Sure, we're alright for tall defenders at the moment. But Fletcher and Wellman are 28. If we recruit a tall defender now, they'll be ready when Fletcher and Wellman retire.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Back