B: Lever, Talia, Brown
HB: Laird, Hartigan, Smith
C: Knight, M Crouch, Atkins
HF: Cameron, Walker, Lynch
F: McGovern, Jenkins, Betts
R: Jacobs, Sloane, B. Crouch
I/C: Seedsman , Mackay , Douglas, Hampton
Emerg: Milera, Menzel & Otten

I hope our Round 23 team has Wigg, Doedee, O'Brien and Beech.

Because we're 2 games clear on top and we're resting Sloane, Talia, Jacobs and Betts.
But we have the week off after round 23.. you don't want them missing 2 full weeks..

]B: Lever, Talia, Brown
HB: Laird, Hartigan, Smith
C: Knight, M Crouch, Atkins
F: Otten, Jenkins, Betts
R: Jacobs, Sloane, B. Crouch
I/C: Kelly , Mackay , Douglas, Hampton

ATM and seeing what the players are putting on the park, unlucky one is Milera and Cheney and Seedsman, Giv will need to prove himself after so much time off with a pretty serious injury , but. I doubt form and injuries will change over the year Kelly is one I didn't think I would pick but played a blinder today

Who should replace Hampton...(and Mackay)?

Tall, fast, strong tackling, dynamic Hampton out for, let's face it, effectively the season. While he never broke a game apart he gave a glimpse of what he could do for the team. It was a different ingredient that really enhanced our mix.

Greenwood starting strong on the inside and forward (which we need in our 22 to support the inside 3) but i feel we need another dynamic inside/outside mid with size that can do what Hampton was threatening to do but better to complete our midfield. Mackay is proven failure, Wigg not dynamic enough in this role, Knight hasn't quite proven himself though I'd love him in the 22 as a high pressure forward, back up mid, Seedsman has shown glimpses but never the consistent high level...I think he would be better behind the ball. No, we need another option.

There are 2 quality, realistic options that would absolutely rip it up in an inside/outside mid position (could play a little more outside than inside given Greenwood's inclusion).

Firstly, Smith. Bring a defender and move Smith to the midfield. Seedsman would be the best Smith-lite in defence but Doedee or Cheney could also slot in. Pyke will be loathe to do it and break up the Laird/Smith synergy but I hope he has a Plan B because Smith will be given extremely close attention from now on...starting with Geelong.

Secondly, McGovern! The talent level of this guy is off the charts (top 5 most talented in our squad) yet as our 4th forward he provides exciting cameos only. Also, that forward line is looking crowded with Otten performing and perhaps we should look at strengthening our weakest zone. We all love his contested marking up forward but i think it would be even more valuable through the middle. His field kicking is excellent and long, he's just as evasive as a mid, extremely quick, tackles like a maniac, wouldn't get ragdolled but would immediately add an intimidation and aggression factor not seen in our midfield for some time...honestly, can you imagine replacing Mackay with this guy?! The havoc he would create for the opposition is mind boggling. If Gov is best used more outside, then Atkins can easily play a little more inside. If we are struggling back he can push back loose but more likely he can sneak forward and kick goals as per his career to date.

Finals 2017:

Betts - Jenkins - Walker
Greenwood - Lynch - Cameron
McGovern - Sloane - Atkins
Laird - Hartigan - Smith
Lever - Talia - Brown
Jacobs - B Crouch - M Crouch
Milera, Doedee, Douglas, Otten/Knight (depending if want tall or small)

Next: Cheney, Seedsman, Beech, Keath.
Not considered: Hampton

IMO:

B: Brown, Talia, Lever
HB: Smith, Hartigan, Laird
C: Atkins, Sloane, Milera
F: Betts, Jenkins, McGovern
R: Jacobs, Brouch, Mrouch
I/C: Greenwood, Doedee, Knight/Mackay, Douglas

Otten, Seedsman, Kelly, Cheney unlucky, but no doubt we'll have injuries

Poor Douglas, gets votes from both Hinkley and Pyke in the showdown in the medal and yet Greenwood who is a rookie and never ever played against real quality AFL players in the real deal gets in front of him, this is more than hilarious
Still think this is hilarious?

IMO:

B: Brown, Talia, Lever
HB: Smith, Hartigan, Laird
C: Atkins, Sloane, Milera
F: Betts, Jenkins, McGovern
R: Jacobs, Brouch, Mrouch
I/C: Greenwood, Doedee, Knight/Mackay, Douglas

Otten, Seedsman, Kelly, Cheney unlucky, but no doubt we'll have injuries

Wow Kelly having an absolute break out year but you wouldn't pick him

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

My Round 23 team would look like this now...

B: Brown - Talia - Kelly*
HB: Laird - Lever - Doedee*
C: Atkins - Greenwood - Smith
HF: Lynch - Walker - Knight
F: Betts - Jenkins - McGovern
R: Jacobs - M Crouch - Sloane
Int: B Crouch, Douglas*, Milera*, Cameron*

Emg: Seedsman, Otten, Cheney

So basically the changes I'd like to see from the team that travels to Darwin are...

In: Doedee, Milera
Out: Otten, Mackay

I fear Otten's complete lack of pace / agility / athleticism will be pretty badly exposed both on the wide expanses of Domain Stadium, and also in the intense pressure of Finals footy a fortnight later. Doedee has something about him, and needs to be trialled asap. His intercept play is a real feature and I feel that a combo of him and Lever down back could actually be pretty lethal. Just needs someone running past him for a quick handball though because his kicking is pretty gross (so is Hartigan's mind you).

Mackay just isn't a best 22 AFL footballer and doesn't have enough weapons. Give me Milera's elite disposal and decision making over him any day. Neither of them are going to get 20 touches, so why not take the guy who doesn't miss targets? Seedsman has legit claims on this spot too, and I would also pick him over Mackay. It's definitely possible that two of these 3 guys play, but we won't see all 3 of them unless Cameron, Smith or Atkins cop an injury.

None of the 5 I've marked with an * have solidified their claims just yet though, and any of the 3 emergencies, plus Mackay, Gallucci and Hartigan (just feel Hartigan won't be fully match fit from his hammy, and his form was deplorable prior to the injury anyway), probably have legitimate chances to be included in the team that travels to Perth at their expense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Pick your team for R23

Remove this Banner Ad

Back