You don't need to worry about confidence when you have

Kruezer - pick 1
Gibbs - pick 1
Murphy - pick 1
Cotchin - pick 2
Walker - pick 2
Grimes - pick 3
Kennedy - pick 4

Look, 7zark7, nobody is proud to tank, what we are is realists.

Have you seen the way this team has performed over the past 5 years under Pagan? Has it not occurred to you that things are still rotten? Our percentage hasn't changed, it is still atrocious.

So it's clear as day we will finish down the bottom again. I put it to you if you are going to finish down the bottom, you might as well sacrifice one or two games to get a much better position in the draft. We're talking about the difference between pick 4 and pick 1 AND 2.

All that just for winning 2 less games. Those 2 extra wins only equate to 1 or 2 spots higher on the ladder (16th versus 13th), but they also mean you get pick 4 and not picks 1 AND 2.

Seems a no brainer if you ask me.

Do you want to finish 13th and get Pick 4, or would you rather finish 16th and get Picks 1 AND 2?

13th versus 16th, the difference is negligible, but the difference between Picks 4 and Picks 1 AND 2 is not.

Who will tank the most this week...

Looks likely that Green, Johnstone, Neitz, Brown and Bell still no Yze will be all missing this week

Not too many more who could come in to really challenge - except some youngsters who haven't played all that much. Should be a walker in the park for your lot.

Who will tank the most this week...

Looks likely that Green, Johnstone, Neitz, Brown and Bell still no Yze will be all missing this week

Not too many more who could come in to really challenge - except some youngsters who haven't played all that much. Should be a walker in the park for your lot.

You're not the only ones with injuries to key players, and people out of the team.

Don't try and deflect the loss if it eventuates. Both sides have injuries.

You're not the only ones with injuries to key players, and people out of the team.

Don't try and deflect the loss if it eventuates. Both sides have injuries.
I was thinking the same thing.

Fev, Whitnall, Stevens, A O'Hairpin, Anderson and Cloke almost cancel Melbourne's injuries out.

in regards to getting kreuser whos to say melbourne or richmond will take him i mean both have gun ruckmen in white and symmons and both badly need both midfielders and key defenders just because we win a couple more games does not mean we miss kreuser and if we do we can still take cotchin or grimes

in regards to getting kreuser whos to say melbourne or richmond will take him i mean both have gun ruckmen in white and symmons and both badly need both midfielders and key defenders just because we win a couple more games does not mean we miss kreuser and if we do we can still take cotchin or grimes

Melbourne has a load of midfielders - an aging ruckman - Kreuser would be a must... besides you can pick up good midfielders anywhere in the draft or steal one later on from another club.

If we are inline for kreuser, we'd nab him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry guys, not trolling.

What is this obsession with getting number 1 picks ?

You do realise that of all the teams that have received a number 1 pick since 2000 only 1 player is currently playing with a team that is in the top 8 (Luke Hodge 2001).

Tanking?

Want my opinion of tanking? Get f****.

Look, 7zark7, nobody is proud to tank, what we are is realists.

I'm a realist too.

If we embrace a losing culture we will never get out of that hole. What happens if we stuff up next year? Let's tank! The year after? We're not going to make the finals, let's go for picks!

Enough.

When will it end? We've had enough high draft picks, it's time to draft and trade intelligently with what we have - not hope to lose games just so to pray for a top 10 pick to turn everything around. That attitude is not going to get us anywhere. Tanking for picks has never won any team a premiership - the real strength is the development of your young players regardless when they were picked.

Work with what we have. Don't make stupid decisions during draft time. Most importantly, develop your players right and instill a winning culture into them so they are confident in not only themselves, but each other.

There's your realism.

We will finish where we will finish, and I reckon we are good enough to win a few more. But to hope to lose all games - for one priority pick for one kid who may or may not make it anyway? That is counterproductive - and it is bad for the players, the members and the sponsors. The players aren't certainly going to give up, much like this soft approach. Support our team. Don't hope them to lose based on a stretched hope.

Couldnt see us giving up pick 3 for Fevola (Bulldogs, Crows far more likely to want him) and the chances of us winning 3 more games to pass Carlton aren't very good either. So the best you guys could do is picks 1 and 3 which is still very handy. However Melbourne look to be losing Green, Neitz and Johnstone through injury this week and will definetly suffer a let down after last week, unless Robbo kicks 10 you guys will smash them even without Fev.

I agree with you, with Neitz,Green,Johnstone & Bell out I think we may beat them.

I reckon our young guys are sick of losing & would do anything for a win this week.

Kreuzer and a midfielder will ease all the pain of tanking the rest of the year. I'm all for a winning attitude but we'll be lucky to beat anyone from here on in. A new coach like Voss would install that winning attitude from day one and not tolerate any short steps. Voss would prefer to have a midfield of Hampson, Walker, Gibbs, Murphy, Kreuzer, Carrazzo, Grimes and Simpson running around in two years time.

If we finish on 4 and half or 5 wins I'll be physically ill at missing the chance to get Kreuzer and Cotchin/Palmer/Masten/Grimes.

I think they've dropped Fev because they know they can win without him this week.

Do you want to finish 13th and get Pick 4, or would you rather finish 16th and get Picks 1 AND 2?

13th versus 16th, the difference is negligible, but the difference between Picks 4 and Picks 1 AND 2 is not.

I'd rater have a competitive showing and win all the games I can, rather than lie down and take it up the arse.

All in the hopes that these picks will turn everything around. Pfft. You don't know who we will draft anyway, and how they may turn out. What makes you so confident pick 1 and 2 will be greater than pick 4?

No. What matters is what kind of players we draft, not just in the top 10 - but for the rest of the draft as well. Most importantly, how we DEVELOP these players is the key here. In the long run, having pick 4 and picking up good 2nd rounders may be better than 1 and 2, or the difference may be minimal. Or we may not even need them at all.

But what will matter in the long run, is confidence, ambition and the belief we can win. Those are more important than any draft pick - if you think two teenagers are going to propel this club to a premiership or two, you're sadly mistaken. Say it with me: it's the team, not one or two individuals, who will make us successful.

I'll say it once and I'll say it again: priority picks don't win you premierships alone, and they certainly don't improve your team alone. If you keep going down this road you will never look back.

Kreuzer and a midfielder will ease all the pain of tanking the rest of the year. I'm all for a winning attitude but we'll be lucky to beat anyone from here on in. A new coach like Voss would install that winning attitude from day one and not tolerate any short steps. Voss would prefer to have a midfield of Hampson, Walker, Gibbs, Murphy, Kreuzer, Carrazzo, Grimes and Simpson running around in two years time.

And what if things remain the same next year? What if we keep on losing? Are we going to tank again? And again and again? And again?

What happens if these players won't meet expectations? Some seem to think that everything will suddenly click with draft picks and we'll be winning the flag. In reality it doesn't work that way.

We will need picks 1, 2 and 3 to replace Murphy and Gibbs when they walk out on the club.

If we lose Fev for next to nothing then we will be lucky to win 3 games a year for the next 3 years and nobody can handle an entire decade of failure.

I am so depressed

I'd rater have a competitive showing and win all the games I can, rather than lie down and take it up the arse.

All in the hopes that these picks will turn everything around. Pfft. You don't know who we will draft anyway, and how they may turn out. What makes you so confident pick 1 and 2 will be greater than pick 4?

No. What matters is what kind of players we draft, not just in the top 10 - but for the rest of the draft as well. Most importantly, how we DEVELOP these players is the key here. In the long run, having pick 4 and picking up good 2nd rounders may be better than 1 and 2, or the difference may be minimal. Or we may not even need them at all.

But what will matter in the long run, is confidence, ambition and the belief we can win. Those are more important than any draft pick - if you think two teenagers are going to propel this club to a premiership or two, you're sadly mistaken. Say it with me: it's the team, not one or two individuals, who will make us successful.

I'll say it once and I'll say it again: priority picks don't win you premierships alone, and they certainly don't improve your team alone. If you keep going down this road you will never look back.

Thrawn I'm with you!

For the players self dignity and confidence we need to win. Look at their faces after our pre-season cup win, look at them after our wins to the dogs and power! That's something pick 1 can't buy!

Also a club relys on sponsors and members, if we tail off this year our membership I bet you will drop drastically, everyone of our players will be laughed at, we're now starting to getting mocked and laughed at by other teams. We need to earn pride and respect and the player need to do it for themselves and their team-mates.

I am so depressed

I'm depressed people want us to intentionally lose - and for what? For one extra individual teenager who may/may not be a star? People are actually forgetting a few things: 1) there are other spots in the draft you could use to increase the team's talent and depth 2) there are no certainties in the draft anyway and 3) it's all about development rather than what pick you get.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I reckon most of the players want to win and it's an insult to those trying that these 'supporters' could even advocate tanking in the first place.

Winning more games, getting some confidence back, putting the fun back in playing again > an extra top 10 pick that is no certainty anyway. How could you even dare to suggest that one teenager is going to turn us around, over confidence/winning feeling and the capacity to gain confidence in themselves and their team mates?

Remove this Banner Ad

Picks 1, 2 and 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back